Dan Mullen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me whoever can get offensive lineman here. That fixes many flaws. Just about anyone can run behind them. Give a QB 2 more seconds in the pocket and he can get a throw off. It also gives WRs a chance to get open. It preserves drives and gets the D off the field to rest a bit. It’s how Marrone’s teams were built.

Lewis is a Dino guy. Let's find another path forward. Further, he isn't leaving Prime to come to the not so Prime time.
You really think he doesn't want a P5 job and just sticks with "Prime"
ANY P5 job offer he gets is not going to "Prime Time" let's be real
Lewis sure was hired by Dino but has evolved into his one style and person

I do not trust the guy downshifting into this morass for a payday. I would be aghast if his passion for the SU job is higher than 75%. We need someone who is dying for an opportunity at a p5 ACC job.

It doesn't feel like the right fit for SU right now. Maybe in 2004 it would have been the right choice as the brand was still top 30 strong.
He’s a former SU guy. And a Northeast guy. A reclamation project does pique someone’s interest if it’s the right fit.

I just think it’s pretty hillarious looking at our last 20 years or so and comments about success with a guy that won at two SEC schools, has a 63% winning percentage overall and was the 2014 SEC coach of the year at Miss St of all places.

End of the day it’s an interview process and he may or may not be the right guy, but we also have to be realistic here. We’d be beyond lucky to land a guy of that profile.

I do not trust the guy downshifting into this morass for a payday. I would be aghast if his passion for the SU job is higher than 75%. We need someone who is dying for an opportunity at a p5 ACC job.

It doesn't feel like the right fit for SU right now. Maybe in 2004 it would have been the right choice as the brand was still top 30 strong.

He is a big risk financially. I like him a lot but you cannot commit to him for that long at what it will cost to get him. We don't need to hire someone who can use the job as a retirement.

You really think he doesn't want a P5 job and just sticks with "Prime"
ANY P5 job offer he gets is not going to "Prime Time" let's be real
Lewis sure was hired by Dino but has evolved into his one style and person
Problem with Lewis is he’s Dino 2.0. He was already gone by 2018.

He’s not a bad option though if our top choices say no and we end up with him I’m cool with it.

He is a big risk financially. I like him a lot but you cannot commit to him for that long at what it will cost to get him. We don't need to hire someone who can use the job as a retirement.
My last comment on this topic as I don’t want to talk in circles but we would be lucky to land a coach with the profile of Dan Mullen. LUCKY.

Problem with Lewis is he’s Dino 2.0. He was already gone by 2018.

He’s not a bad option though if our top choices say no and we end up with him I’m cool with it.
I watched alot of his Kent St games and some of the Colorado games, I don't think he is a clone of Dino at all
I know he's from Dino's "tree" but to me he was the reason why the team was headed upwards and again as I said in another post 2018 was all Dungey to which I feel his improvements came a lot from Lewis

He’s a former SU guy. And a Northeast guy. A reclamation project does pique someone’s interest if it’s the right fit.

I just think it’s pretty hillarious looking at our last 20 years or so and comments about success with a guy that won at two SEC schools, has a 63% winning percentage overall and was the 2014 SEC coach of the year at Miss St if all places.
he's as much an "SU" guy as Nick Saban. Cmon. 1 year as a GA.

Mullin is a pipedream along the lines of those pining for Ed Orgeron. It's foolish to suggest JW is going to hitch his wagon to those SEC reclamation guys. They come in wanting certain things and the SU industrial complex isn't going to provide. That's why you need a guy who knows the "two hands tied behind his back" approach to northeast football. Plus it'll cost 5mm plus per.

To me the phone call that is first placed is to Doug Marrone. See if there is interest, if he'd consider trying it again. If he hangs up, go get Chesney and let him cook. Bring in Sluka like Doug did with Paulus and see if they can catch lightening in a bottle for 2024. Sluka is from NY so maybe this would be appealing to him.

I watched alot of his Kent St games and some of the Colorado games, I don't think he is a clone of Dino at all
I know he's from Dino's "tree" but to me he was the reason why the team was headed upwards and again as I said in another post 2018 was all Dungey to which I feel his improvements came a lot from Lewis
I’m in if we think he’s the guy. The Prime season can’t hurt him in terms of recruiting vs just hiring him from Kent State.

Honestly how bad we looked last night doesn’t make sense we best Purdue on the road and VT lost to them. Something is wrong.

4 seasons at Florida 11 wins 10 wins 8 wins and then 5-6 and fired.

There’s some Orgeron/Meyer sleazy SEC baggage but it’s not much all things considered he’s not Hugh Freeze or Gus Malzahn.

Easily enough upside and he is a good Xs and Os guy.

Dino needs to have a philosophy to have a clone. I would argue once Lewis left in 2018 things went off the rail.

Mullin is a pipedream along the lines of those pining for Ed Orgeron. It's foolish to suggest JW is going to hitch his wagon to those SEC reclamation guys. They come in wanting certain things and the SU industrial complex isn't going to provide. That's why you need a guy who knows the "two hands tied behind his back" approach to northeast football. Plus it'll cost 5mm plus per.

To me the phone call that is first placed is to Doug Marrone. See if there is interest, if he'd consider trying it again. If he hangs up, go get Chesney and let him cook. Bring in Sluka like Doug did with Paulus and see if they can catch lightening in a bottle for 2024. Sluka is from NY so maybe this would be appealing to him.
I completely agree with Marrone being the first guy we approach.
I’m having trouble with Bob Chesney. He’s had some success with extremely small schools and so far with Holy Cross. Although not a great season this year. I just think a leap to Syracuse would be too much. Joe Moorhead took the leap from Fordham and failed. Now is even failing at Akron.

Please stop with the Doug Marrone thing. I'm begging you.

We are in the worst of all spots. We’ve burned our academic rep with the last 3 chancellors and still suck at football
Right now I’d sell my soul for a win against Tennessee in Hawaiii lol.

My girlfriend is basketball obsessed but grew up in Africa where it’s all NBA and no college need her to catch the Syracuse hoops addiction. I’m terrified we’re in for 2 epic butt fings like last night when we go to Hawaii.

I like Mullen but there must be a reason he’s still at ESPN and is not a head coach somewhere
His 12 mil buyout from Florida might make him feel pretty good about taking some time off. and the 5-6 mil/ per year they paid him for 4 years as well. Call me crazy, I might chill for a few years as well and just work 5 months a year for a few dollars, almost semi retirement

Another reason he will never take the syracuse job. he doesn't need it

Status
Not open for further replies.