Dan Mullen | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hire Dan Mullen in 2 seconds if I could. His offense is proven in the SEC and is a perfect fit in a dome. Has a name that could help instantly in the portal. He would be by far my first choice if I am serious about football.

He's being paid $12 mil by Florida in installments through 2027... hence why I think he may have taken a break from coaching...

That said he was being paid $7.57 mil at florida as the 6th highest-paid coach in the country.

He'd be lucky to get half that here ( and likely get a significantly smaller kitty for staff coaches), unless our budget for coach and staff is upped considerably - like $5.5 - 6 mil.

Honestly, I don't see that happening, but certainly hope I am wrong.

He's being paid $12 mil by Florida in installments through 2027... hence why I think he may have taken a break from coaching...

That said he was being paid $7.57 mil at florida as the 6th highest-paid coach in the country.

He'd be lucky to get half that here ( and likely get a significantly smaller kitty for staff coaches), unless our budget for coach and staff is upped considerably - like $5.5 - 6 mil.

Like I said "if we are serious about football" We would have to pay and pay a price for a proven SEC coach that has name value with donors and portal players which again is why I said if we are serious.

Dino made $3.9 million in 2020, so not a stretch to pay 4 something to Mullen.

What I was saying is I bet he's gonna want closer to $6mil... because someone will pay him that.

I don't think it will be us.
Yeah, if it is a competition we probably won’t win.

What I was saying is I bet he's gonna want closer to $6mil... because someone will pay him that.

I don't think it will be us.
Yeah you'd probably have to pay $6-7m range to get him. I have a hard time seeing us do that. I'd love if we did but I know the reality of commitment here to being a serious player in the ACC.

I don't know if he's a right answer or not. There are probably guys we think would be great, but won't.

Having said that. As Syracuse, shouldn't we put greater weight on his time at Mississippi State vs Florida?
Hey, there was a time when I thought that Dan Mullen was the guy to target. I liked that the fact that he had worked for P and D on the Hill and I liked his offensive philosophy.

I don't know if he is the right guy or not at this point.

He may very well be.

But, if a guy cannot get it done at a big time program - like Florida - that normally competes for national championships every year, I don't think he will get it done at a program like ours.

I don't know the details of what happened at Florida, but I do know that he was let go pretty quickly.

So, that gives me reason to hesitate a bit. But, again, he could be a great hire.

If it were me, however, I think I might do what Rutgers did.

I think I would pick up the phone and call the OL coach of the New Orleans Saints.

Yeah you'd probably have to pay $6-7m range to get him. I have a hard time seeing us do that. I'd love if we did but I know the reality of commitment here to being a serious player in the ACC.

The 6-7m range would put him in the top 25. I'm not sure he'd command that type of money (I'd guess 5-6) but they could structure a deal similar to Ruhle.

Incentives, you make more the longer you stay but the buyout goes down. Ruhle gets 5.5m this year but over 8 years that will top out at roughly 12 mil in 2030. And who cares because it's likely he won't be around by then and if he is it's because he's winning.

We know we're not going to go eight-year contract worth $74 million like Ruhle but we could structure something similar.

To make money you need to spend money, so make the investment, you don't need the money up front and if the guy sells tickets it'll pay for itself. What Prime did on name alone and without having even played a game was awesome and the UC AD is rolling in money right now because of it.

Last edited:
Hey, there was a time when I thought that Dan Mullen was the guy to target. I liked that the fact that he had worked for P and D on the Hill and I liked his offensive philosophy.

He may very well be.

But, if a guy cannot get it done at a big time program - like Florida - that normally competes for national championships every year, I don't think he will get it done at a program like ours.

I don't know the details of what happened at Florida, but I do know that he was let go pretty quickly.

So, that gives me reason to hesitate a bit. But, again, he could be a great hire.

I think I would pick up the phone and call the OL coach of the New Orleans Saints.

If a guy got it done at a school like Florida - competing for national championships as a HC - he'd never be a consideration for a program like ours anyways. We will NEVER have dibs on a HC coach like that so it's not even a thing.

Do you think Wildhack would reach out to XYZ playoff team? Maybe he should target those championship level coordinators. Oklahoma didnt see a problem with Veneables.

If a guy got it done at a school like Florida - competing for national championships as a HC - he'd never be a consideration for a program like ours anyways. We will NEVER have dibs on a HC coach like that so it's not even a thing.

Do you think Wildhack would reach out to XYZ playoff team? Maybe he should target those championship level coordinators. Oklahoma didnt see a problem with Veneables.
First 3 years:
10 win season, 2nd in division
11 win season, 2nd in division
8 win season, Division champs

Canned in year 4 after going 5-6.

3rd in winning % at Florida of recent coaches, 2nd to Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer. So I guess what we're saying is that in order to be considered "Getting it done" at Florida you need to be a HOF coach out of a job. I'm sure those are just falling off trees for 5-6m a year. :confused:

I think the most brilliant coaching search in college football history was the search by Kansas State in the mid-1980s.

The K-State administrators knew that they could not attract a top level coach, given the years of futility at the school.

So, they looked for a program that had been in the dumps for years and had been revived.

They found Iowa.

They knew that they could not hire the Iowa HC - Hayden Frye - so they targeted his OC and DC.

They hired the OC - Bill Snyder.

Snyder executed the college coaching performance of the century. He took the worst program in the history of college football and transformed it into a really good program that was, for a few years at least, a viable national championship contender.

So, I guess my answer to your question is yes, in part.

I would consider targeting a coordinator who helped revive a dead program.

I might have geographic issues with it, but I would understand why the coordinators at Kansas might be worthy candidates - if we could not attract the Kansas HC, who I think would probably be the perfect candidate for SU.

Last edited:
First 3 years:
10 win season, 2nd in division
11 win season, 2nd in division
8 win season, Division champs

Canned in year 4 after going 5-6.

3rd in winning % at Florida of recent coaches, 2nd to Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer. So I guess what we're saying is that in order to be considered "Getting it done" at Florida you need to be a HOF coach out of a job. I'm sure those are just falling off trees for 5-6m a year. :confused:
Why did Florida fire Dan Mullen?

Why did Florida fire Dan Mullen?

I actually don't know the answer. My guess is unrealistic whiny donors who didn't like the guy ? beats me. I'm interested to know.

To your other comment, Leipold at Kansas will probably be on a short list and I'd bet he's someone who would get contacted.

I actually don't know the answer. My guess is unrealistic whiny donors who didn't like the guy ? beats me. I'm interested to know.

To your other comment, Leipold at Kansas will probably be on a short list and I'd bet he's someone who would get contacted.
He was let go after a close loss to Missouri when the team was 5-5. He could have coached their last game against FSU and a bowl game if they won but opted out with the team at 5-6.

This was a year removed from going to the SEC championship game...yeah.

He may very well be.

I would call that OL coach too.

Mullen probably isn’t realistic but it seems like a lot of coaches who do well at one place seem to fail when they get to Gainesville. Maybe Florida is the problem.

Other than Spurrier and Urban Meyer, two of the best to ever do it, who have they liked?

He wouldn’t have SEC players on his roster at Syracuse. It’s hard to make chicken salad out of chicken ————!
I’m in morning from attending the game last night but our program still gets plenty of TV money and the Domes mostly full.

As nice of a venue as VT was my phone didn’t work at all. And every other FBS program is too broke ass to have their own dome.

I would call that OL coach too.

Mullen probably isn’t realistic but it seems like a lot of coaches who do well at one place seem to fail when they get to Gainesville. Maybe Florida is the problem.

Other than Spurrier and Urban Meyer, two of the best to ever do it, who have they liked?
Mullen did take Miss State to a number 1 ranking at one point and turned Prescott into an NFL QB … dude is no slouch.

southern guy, turned down GT last year. Seems pretty happy at Tulane. 80% of his kids are from Texas, Florida, Louisiana
Yeah, he might not be leaving the south. I've been on the Cignetti train of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.