Dan Mullen | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there was a Clarion Ledger article linked that Dan decline Mississippi State at this time
I hope you are right as that would be a good sign for us.

P.S. I found the article and I wouldn’t completely rule out Miss State yet.

Last edited:
This is a stunning development honestly, if it happens. I don’t think the question was so much paying the coach etc (I think we can get there). It’s more proving out the resources to compete for recruits, transfers, NIL, facilities on a continuing basis. It’s the longer term commitment that people have questioned (and one reason the other DM left).

This is so out of the blue I hope that JW gives a play by play when it’s done. Mullen is kind of at an interesting stage in life with coaching, family, good tv guy. I’d bet the community, schools and not having the big time SEC expectations are real selling points along with the chance to rebuild a legacy program.

I have always been a huge Tony White fan who I think would be perfect here but more so thought he was just a better candidate than everyone else on the short list (each of them had issues). While I hate that it’s not Tony, if DM happens it’s an unbelievably fortunate win for our program.
I’ve said this for quite some time but the fact that the university was patient with Dino and gave him so long to be successful is at least a minor selling point to the next coach. We will give you time to build your team. That goes a long way with a seasoned confident coach.

Football aside, Syracuse really isn't a bad place to live, on top of it all. He's not 25 and looking to score at the clubs. He's a 51 year old middle-aged man.
So you're saying he is not like his former HC that Meyer guy

One thing I’m curious about is the pitch and how wildhack is providing context to the ACC future. Everyone has said we are dead man walking in 5 years potentially being left out of the big 2.

Mullin isn’t Chesney where this is a new opportunity up the food chain. For Dan this is a step down from the sec opportunity wise.

Not saying this as a negative but what does John know or what is he pitching him with regarding this. Cynic in me is mullin is a 3 year fix and he will either retire or go back to the BIG or SEC and this issue is irrelvsnt

Also how much money we talking. The narrative we can’t pay is bs if we are paying Dan mullin 5mm plus and whatever else for the bigtime assistants (another 3mm??!)
I’ve heard the pitch. And it got me ready to run through a wall and open my wallet. JW knows what he’s doing. He’s a huge asset for us. the university knows sports is key to alumni relations and it’s how you get donations.

Mullen as a three year fix would be amazing. But also he knows the expectations here are reasonable. He’s been fired once for unreasonable ones. Also not for nothing but a good coach can get us in an acc championship game. That happens he has statues built of him. He knows from P.

Also FSU is full of crap. They ain’t going anywhere until the GOR is done. We have plenty of time to rebuild our brand. If Clemson wants to buy their way out, I’m sure the rest of the conference will take the hundreds of millions. It’s just saber rattling to get better deals. If you’re able to leave, you don’t threaten. You just leave. It’s all been posturing. They know their best to a CFP spot is in the ACC. They just want more money for getting it most years.

Really curious on what Mullen would ask for.
1700832477975.jpeg

In hindsight Mullen’s comments during the Va Tech / Syr game were telling if I recall. Makes sense he pursued us. He knows the path to being a top four team in the ACc is there for the taking. Being top five in the SEC next year is going to be so damn hard.

In hindsight Mullen’s comments during the Va Tech / Syr game were telling if I recall. Makes sense he pursued us. He knows the path to being a top four team in the ACc is there for the taking. Being top five in the SEC next year is going to be so damn hard.
I could not watch that game, was only able to listen to radio broadcast. In a nutshell, what exactly did he say?

I have a question about his northeast recruiting chops. Does he have any? Does anyone know? That’s my only concern at all.

I know people are going to respond and say he can recruit nationally, which isn’t realistic for SU at all. So, I’m looking for a well-informed opinion/thought on this subject because I genuinely don’t know.

He’s certainly a good coach and great hire for that reason. He can recruit, I’m not worried about that. My question is about recruiting SU’s ACC footprint. How will he fair with that? And, please, no “we’ll recruit everyone from the portal” responses. Not realistic either. We need balance.

For this reason I thought Diaz or Golden were good fits. I like Mullen but he’s got to be able to recruit New Jersey for instance. Maybe he has good roots there. Again, I don’t know. Does anyone has insight?

Fayetteville Wegmans calling his name
Fairmount wegmans is more his taste. Fayetteville W is overbuilt. Who wants to spend 20 minutes parking and walking into Grand Central for a gallon of milk?

Last edited:
In looking up some background info on Mullen I read where he was making $7.6M at FL. Be interesting to see what SU is willing to pony up.

I have a question about his northeast recruiting chops. Does he have any? Does anyone know? That’s my only concern at all.

I know people are going to respond and say he can recruit nationally, which isn’t realistic for SU at all. So, I’m looking for a well-informed opinion/thought on this subject because I genuinely don’t know.

He’s certainly a good coach and great hire for that reason. He can recruit, I’m not worried about that. My question is about recruiting SU’s ACC footprint. How will he fair with that? And, please, no “we’ll recruit everyone from the portal” responses. Not realistic either. We need balance.

For this reason I thought Diaz or Golden were good fits. I like Mullen but he’s got to be able to recruit New Jersey for instance. Maybe he has good roots there. Again, I don’t know. Does anyone has insight?
If you’re concerned you can’t recruit the northeast, you put someone on your staff who can. I’m not saying Campanile necessarily, but someone like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom