Day Nineteen Fall Football Practice: #23 8/25/16 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Day Nineteen Fall Football Practice: #23 8/25/16

I responded to Bailey/Axe over the idea that the system doesn't produce NFL talent:

I think what they are confusing is the fact that the numbers don't translate. But the fact that these guys are in the NFL (esp given their recruiting ranking) is a sign of success, not failure.

There is literally no system/school that routinely pumps out stars. The position is too hard to excel at.

The reporters are idiots. Middling at best? They are in the NFL 1 and 2 sure you wish them success but Babers job is to win in college.

It's so stupid that it will be instantly the story that they run with. Sigh.

CLICKS!

Well we could always eliminate all the instigators now and save us work later. ;)

I'll send you a list.

Thanks for your support.

Some thoughts:

1. The Pierre issue is so ridiculous. This happens every year. The player is almost never cleared. And it seems like something they could have figured out in an hour. Yet they hold the team and the kid hostage while they get to it. Frustrating.

2. About to see a new coach and new style, and someone asks about QB translation to the NFL? Ugh. Next question. Next question. Next question.

3. A true freshman gets Millhouse treatment (both ways) at TE/DE? That's a little scary.

4. Hope nothing serious on Custis. Hoping for a breakout from him based on what we've read already.

5. Give me that depth chart already! (please?)

These are just owies, only Morris has a serious injury. Per Dino.
Can't tell if that's in sarcasm font and I know I'm guessing as to what underlies the numbers. Definitely hope that they are all short term and we see these guys get back into action. Morgan (Williams to a lesser extent) in particular worries me, big need this year for someone to step up and he has the most ability imho.

The reporters are idiots. Middling at best? They are in the NFL 1 and 2 sure you wish them success but Babers job is to win in college.

I responded to Bailey/Axe over the idea that the system doesn't produce NFL talent:

I think what they are confusing is the fact that the numbers don't translate. But the fact that these guys are in the NFL (esp given their recruiting ranking) is a sign of success, not failure.

There is literally no system/school that routinely pumps out stars. The position is too hard to excel at.

Heisman’s don’t translate either. It’s hard to make the NFL. Lots of things don’t translate.

I find it stupid to because I doubt Babers is worried about (or follows) why Baylor QB’s don’t make it in the NFL.

The other thing you, SUforme, YepO mention are huge. It’s a system that can take 2 star middling QB’s and have them put up NCAA record type numbers. Isn’t that better than having NFL success? After all, this is College football.

Heisman’s don’t translate either.

It’s hard to make the NFL. Lots of things don’t translate. I find it stupid to because I doubt Babers is worried about (or follows) why Baylor QB’s don’t make it in the NFL.

The other thing you, SUforme, YepO mention are huge. It’s a system that can take 2 star middling QB’s and have them put up NCAA record type numbers. Isn’t that better than having NFL success? After all, this is College football.

Agree 100%. I think you can make the case that because of the numbers the system puts up, it gets kids noticed. The flip side of that is that there is a bigger spotlight on those kids - so when they don't produce the same, it's a higher profile "failure" in the eyes of NFL - and the click-bait media types.

How many pro-style kids go on to middling NFL careers?

Anyone got a link to the full presser at the end of practice yet?

RG3 was pretty damn incredible before he was injured. Bryce Petty was a 4th rd guy that is only going into year 2 and both Russell and Stidham are probably in the top 20 QBs you'd want on your roster this year. What a stupid question with barely any relevance based on an incredibly small sample size.

interesting. I was coming back to Syr on Tuesday night and next to me ion plane was a guy decked out in Texans gear. I did not talk with him as I was exhausted but I thought scout. However I talked myself of it not thinking it would be scouting season.