Day Nineteen Fall Football Practice: #23 8/25/16 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Day Nineteen Fall Football Practice: #23 8/25/16

Systems don't put guys into the NFL.

Systems allow kids in college who might not have the talent or temperament to play at the next level put up ridiculous numbers.

- Really? Did someone say that?
- I talk to scouts!

Wow, didn't realize at first it was the reporter. Even more dumb than the question itself. Yeah, has to be a DO kid. Newhouse is slipping.

- I talk to scouts!

Wow, didn't realize at first it was the reporter. Even more dumb than the question itself. Yeah, has to be a DO kid. Newhouse is slipping.
Newhouse is slipping, but there's no guarantee you're in Newhouse to do the DO.

Every time I listen to Dino speak, I become even more confident that he is the perfect hire for this program (and I've been very confident since day one).
Dino Babers was created in a lab by scientists that have analyzed my posting history to determine what the perfect coach for our program is like.

OMFG the reporters are awful. Babers had to light into another one... "Why is it so hard to transition for a QB from this System to the NFL? "I've talked to scouts".

Just to add on a couple of things...

-This is also a relatively new system that has drawn a handful of schools out of football obscurity. Wait a while for those now successful programs to start recruiting at a higher level and you'll eventually see more pro QBs. In the end, it's about talent and not system.

-If the system is holding kids back from making the leap to the pros, then how do we explain the fact that an increasing number of pro teams are adopting elements from the zone read offense?

- I talk to scouts!

He may well have talked to scouts and they may well have given him that opinion. We have to remember that this is football we're talking about. It's a sport overrun by mental midgets.

He may well have talked to scouts and they may well have given him that opinion. We have to remember that this is football we're talking about. It's a sport overrun by mental midgets.
That may well be true. But defiantly doubling down on a question that clearly ticked Dino off is, well, doubly stupid.

The QB thing might go back to this tweet from Chris Libonati of the DO from Aug 10th.

Here's the article in question:
This Green Beret thinks he can crack the NFL's character code
Interesting. Thanks, Whitey. Find it hard to believe Dino's system is "too simple" just because there's no 500 page play book. There are obviously enough plays in it to execute anything his O needs. The rest is highly adaptable and flexible to D's looks and formations. Plus reading and reacting at an unprecedented speed. But maybe none of that translates to NFL. Curious what our gurus think.

That may well be true. But defiantly doubling down on a question that clearly ticked Dino off is, well, doubly stupid.

If you're going to ask a question that implies criticism, you need to do you research or you'll get an answer like that- with several obvious examples that you are wrong. That was T-ball for Babers.

Yegorange said:
Interesting. Thanks, Whitey. Find it hard to believe Dino's system is "too simple" just because there's no 500 page play book. There are obviously enough plays in it to execute anything his O needs. The rest is highly adaptable and flexible to D's looks and formations. Plus reading and reacting at an unprecedented speed. But maybe none of that translates to NFL. Curious what our gurus think.

Seemed like the take away was that they need a better way of getting guys ready for the pros. College coaches are trying to win and keep their jobs, not run the NFL minor leagues. NFL guys are grumpy that there's a system that works in college, but it doesn't prep the QB's the way it used to.

Sounds like an NFL problem to me.

I love hearing Babers talk about NOT being emotional on the sidelines and his job during a game being like a teaching assistant who is there to correct any mistakes that a player makes. A breath of fresh air after watching Shafer come unglued during games and post game pressers.

Seemed like the take away was that they need a better way of getting guys ready for the pros. College coaches are trying to win and keep their jobs, not run the NFL minor leagues. NFL guys are grumpy that there's a system that works in college, but it doesn't prep the QB's the way it used to.

Sounds like an NFL problem to me.

While I think the question was dumb in regards to timing, it does have some merit. Bryce Petty, himself, mentioned that the system he was in was nothing like the NFL, especially the playbook/mental aspect of it.

I love hearing Babers talk about NOT being emotional on the sidelines and his job during a game being like a teaching assistant who is there to correct any mistakes that a player makes. A breath of fresh air after watching Shafer come unglued during games and post game pressers.

So, we're not going to get any of these moments from Babers:

fucuse_medium.gif

While I think the question was dumb in regards to timing, it does have some merit. Bryce Petty, himself, mentioned that the system he was in was nothing like the NFL, especially the playbook/mental aspect of it.
You nailed it. It may have merit in theory. But the guy is about to coach his first game as HC of a P5 team against a ranked FCS opponent ('Nova* anyone?) The question is absolutely irrelevant and moot at the moment.

Newhouse is slipping, but there's no guarantee you're in Newhouse to do the DO.
Yes.. a lot of these kids from the DO are not Newhouse majors.
And I believe the majority of them that are covering the football team this season didn't cover them last year. Those kids graduated.

So does anybody know if there'll be captains named this year?

texascpa said:

I hear you. As a player, you have to balance the need for stats/exposure/wins with "am I doing enough prep work to get the job I want as a pro" ... But college coaches needn't be concerned as much with that. It's very much like JB not caring that his players don't have a ton of man to man exp. He leaves that to the pro coaches and the player.

the main questions would be is the Babers system easy for college QBS to learn therefor it works in college and perhaps does not ready you for the pros. would NFL talented type kids not come to our system because it wont ready them for the pros.

since almost all college QBS are not ready for the pros does it really matter. far more fail than succeed. until the NFL goes to a full spread many kids will never be ready for an NFL offense and even more not ready to face an NFL defense which is why most fail anyway, not because they cant throw or run an offense. They cant think fast enough to make plays against an NFL D.

upperdeck said:
the main questions would be is the Babers system easy for college QBS to learn therefor it works in college and perhaps does not ready you for the pros. would NFL talented type kids not come to our system because it wont ready them for the pros. since almost all college QBS are not ready for the pros does it really matter. far more fail than succeed. until the NFL goes to a full spread many kids will never be ready for an NFL offense and even more not ready to face an NFL defense which is why most fail anyway, not because they cant throw or run an offense. They cant think fast enough to make plays against an NFL D.

I think, that's why the Briles/Babers system has done well with kids who are not 5* kids. They go elsewhere to hand the ball off. Hackenberg at PSU comes to mind.

I think Rogers is a good comp. System QB who took longer to marinate in the NFL, but had all the tools to be great. NFL teams have to do better at development.

This is an old argument. I remember a discussion about Colt Brennan at Hawaii and the numbers he was putting up. Tommy Chang had proceeded him and also put up big numbers. Somebody decried them as "system quarterbacks". I asked "Can we please get a system?" I think that got more 'likes' than any other post I've ever made.

We now have a system. If we develop a reputation for our players putting up big numbers in college but flopping in the pros, so be it. We aren't in the NFL.