DB Jeremiah Wilson in the portal AND BACK AT SU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DB Jeremiah Wilson in the portal AND BACK AT SU

Has there been any announcement?

It was a nice start wasn't it? It's just the 1-5 down the stretch part that has left a lot of people with that oh so familiar feeling.
I'm all for positivity, but I also can't ignore the ongoing problems.
This team has had 5 winning seasons in 19 years. No one is ignoring the problems. We all choose to come on this forum. So why waist your time here telling people what they already know?

This team has had 5 winning seasons in 19 years. No one is ignoring the problems. We all choose to come on this forum. So why waist your time here telling people what they already know?
Yeah agreed. In addition it’s as if Syracuse is the only program that has kids entering the portal. And for a school that apparently can’t recruit its amazing the hand wringing going on over every kid that leaves. Just too much really

Buck up.

It was a nice start wasn't it? It's just the 1-5 down the stretch part that has left a lot of people with that oh so familiar feeling.

I would love to win the powerball, but those darn taxes I’d have to pay. UGH

Losing 9 starters may have had something to do with it.

Our program had one of the best starts we’ve had, despite some poor coaching. We had some players perform at levels that we haven’t seen in a long time. If all you can focus on is what Syracuse used to be 20 years ago and can’t find happiness about progress, you must be a thrill at dinner parties.
I was around for Ben, and it took a while to get to 1959. Then I was around for Mac, and the year before the 11-0-1 a lot of people wanted him gone. Unless all the players who were important this year leave we are on the cusp of another good run.
We have never been a school the dominates all the time. We need a few years to build up enough depth to compete at a high level.

Has this kid even officially declared he is leaving and in the portal yet?

Leave a situation where you’re gonna be a 3 year starter. Sounds like a wise move. A lot of these kids will learn the grass isn’t greener
Probably pledged to white

It would be good to keep him but there are a lot of players in the portal. We got Clark and Johnson and they both became starters. There are lots of cbs in the portal along with other players. We are not going to get everyone we want or keep everyone we would like. However in the end I feel that it will work out.

No.
Allot of handwringing about someone who is still on the team but hey whatever floats peoples boats.
C940B8B8-F36A-44C6-90FC-EA864A912292.gif

I was around for Ben, and it took a while to get to 1959. Then I was around for Mac, and the year before the 11-0-1 a lot of people wanted him gone. Unless all the players who were important this year leave we are on the cusp of another good run.
We have never been a school the dominates all the time. We need a few years to build up enough depth to compete at a high level.
Those days of building depth are gone. Even at Syracuse if kids aren’t playing they’re going somewhere else. I actually think the portal hurts programs like us more because it’s hard to get kids you can actually get to stay to develop.

I’m more worried about losing coaches to conference opponents and coordinator to coordinator. We obviously are playing from behind so why don’t we do what we have to keep great DC’s and overpay if they are a key to your success . Otherwise this is just going to be a revolving door any time we have the tiniest bit of success.

Because we all know what the program has been. There are people here that take every opportunity to remind people of how bad we are. As if we all forget and need to be reminded after someone says something positive.
So let’s fix it. If anything I’m typically on the more positive side. When we got to 6-0 I thought expectations should have been raised exactly for reasons like this. You have to make these seasons count because there is no more building up slowly. Your talented coaches are going to get poached.

How do we fix the problem of being the constant laughing stock and basement dweller. It’s not like this university doesn’t have a rich history. Why do we have to pinch pennies when it comes to paying a competent staff. The amount of money football brings in for the university has exploded. Private donors are trying to play catch up facility wise. Being who we have been the only way to keep talented coaches is to overpay. Coaching salaries and support staff are only going to increase as these conferences bring in more money. $700k for an elite DC isn’t going to cut it in CFB 2022 and beyond. We’re up against in every other category, why not try paying the market rate for a P5 coach because like it or not we’re not just competing against the ACC. We are competing against P5 where coaching salaries are only continuing to climb. What would really have made a statement is if we matched White’s salary for 1 year. Then we see how we do and if Dino doesn’t get us to a bowl maybe we have a new Hc.

Same crap going back to Marrone. We finally have a coach who could possibly stay here for life and we don’t follow through on our promises to him to upgrade our facilities. We’re never going to compete by doing it on the cheap even if people think we’re paying a lot for “Syracuse”. It’s always catch up, not once is it proactive .

So let’s fix it. If anything I’m typically on the more positive side. When we got to 6-0 I thought expectations should have been raised exactly for reasons like this. You have to make these seasons count because there is no more building up slowly. Your talented coaches are going to get poached.

How do we fix the problem of being the constant laughing stock and basement dweller. It’s not like this university doesn’t have a rich history. Why do we have to pinch pennies when it comes to paying a competent staff. The amount of money football brings in for the university has exploded. Private donors are trying to play catch up facility wise. Being who we have been the only way to keep talented coaches is to overpay. Coaching salaries and support staff are only going to increase as these conferences bring in more money. $700k for an elite DC isn’t going to cut it in CFB 2022 and beyond. We’re up against in every other category, why not try paying the market rate for a P5 coach because like it or not we’re not just competing against the ACC. We are competing against P5 where coaching salaries are only continuing to climb. What would really have made a statement is if we matched White’s salary for 1 year. Then we see how we do and if Dino doesn’t get us to a bowl maybe we have a new Hc.

Same crap going back to Marrone. We finally have a coach who could possibly stay here for life and we don’t follow through on our promises to him to upgrade our facilities. We’re never going to compete by doing it on the cheap even if people think we’re paying a lot for “Syracuse”. It’s always catch up, not once is it proactive .
He was paid more than $700 thousand and offered more to stay. Money didn’t seem tobe the issue.

Honestly I don’t get posts like these? Our program has been the bottom dweller of the ACC since we joined, minus 2018 and half of this year. Any time we have any success it’s gone the next year. Remember when Marrone had two 8 win seasons and went to the NFL. Everything was going to be fine because we’re making a continuity hire. How’d that go? Set us back 5 years. Then we get Babers who despite a couple 4 win seasons looks promising. We have the great 2018 run and lose our OC to a mid-major HC job (Who just left that job to be an OC at Colorado).

I just don’t get where are all the roses and butterflies everybody sees? We’ve had 2 winning seasons in 7 years under Babers. We had 1 winning season in 3 years under Shafer, and Marrone, by far the best of the bunch was 2-2 and we lost him because we didn’t deliver on the facilities we promised. The theme is we are always playing catch up. I love watching the games, but is it fun having 5 winnings seasons in 14 years including some 1 win years? So I don’t get why you can’t understand the gloom and doom?

Again Sean Lewis left after Dino's 2nd year here, he wasn't poached after the 10-3 2018 season.

Nothing on his Instagram or Twitter. Four days ago he liked an Cusefootball Instagram post for the Pinstripe Bowl. I don't know if he is leaving or if it was just a reactionary moment to the news White was leaving.

Honestly I don’t get posts like these? Our program has been the bottom dweller of the ACC since we joined, minus 2018 and half of this year. Any time we have any success it’s gone the next year. Remember when Marrone had two 8 win seasons and went to the NFL. Everything was going to be fine because we’re making a continuity hire. How’d that go? Set us back 5 years. Then we get Babers who despite a couple 4 win seasons looks promising. We have the great 2018 run and lose our OC to a mid-major HC job (Who just left that job to be an OC at Colorado).

I just don’t get where are all the roses and butterflies everybody sees? We’ve had 2 winning seasons in 7 years under Babers. We had 1 winning season in 3 years under Shafer, and Marrone, by far the best of the bunch was 2-2 and we lost him because we didn’t deliver on the facilities we promised. The theme is we are always playing catch up. I love watching the games, but is it fun having 5 winnings seasons in 14 years including some 1 win years? So I don’t get why you can’t understand the gloom and doom?

While some may get tired of " roses and butterflies" some may get tired of reading people in hysterics when the 3rd string offensive guard hits the transfer portal as if we just lost the next Russ Grimm. (kid is a stud!!) Some view each transfer as some death blow to the program or some huge failure by Dino, gets old. IT IS WHAT HAPPENS!

We all know what Dino needs to do at this point, just needs to keep winning. Pretty cut and dry really

7-5 is a pretty good season at Syracuse, it just is and will never get a coach fired in this current landscape at Syracuse and I have certainly never been accused of being a "roses and butterflies" guy.

Last edited:

its up to the adminstration to spend money and play big boy ball and that takes buying out coaches that dont perform well and bringing in big time coaches. Then you need to match the offers they receive each year. It takes Admins, donors, boosters will need to help with that. I feel like we have been having the same conversation here for 10 years. Its not in our control. Its up to the University.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom