DB Jeremiah Wilson in the portal AND BACK AT SU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

DB Jeremiah Wilson in the portal AND BACK AT SU

Subs did fantastic.

What killed us was our offensive gameplan not acclimating to our injury situation vs ND, Pitt and FSU. Imo Anae was not flexible or dynamic enough to roll with punches, I hope Beck is.

People get excited about emulating UVA… but forget UVA wasn’t a very good team. Or even a good one.

If Beck can sustain drives and introduce a little flexibility and innovation, we can be a top 20 team next year.
I would love to see Dino, Beck and Schmidt together make some in home visits to a couple high end transfer Oline and WRs and TE and share a vision of the offense the next couple of years. If we can just add a few more pieces. We could be a full season top 20.

Oh for heck’s sake, losing 9 starters would give Bama some problems. Geesh!
It of course gives anyone problems. The question is how big is the problem.

Plenty teams with plenty injuries. Some with more some with less.

That has been posted before. It’s for all injuries including guys that are just questionable. I’m talking season ending or at least long term. You can go count them because I’m not.

People really begin to believe "next man up" it doesn't always work out after 9 guys go down. I get the banter but it's really kind of dumb at times

Falls under, “one of those things we say” but makes no sense once you provide context to the situation.

Our subs did pretty darn good all things considered. But at one point there was 9 of them. 9. I bet you can’t find another team that were down 9 starters. If the subs were as good they’d be starters. Not to mention when a lot of this happened the schedule got more difficult. It was the perfect storm.
as Bees says.. Had we just had the DT and the LB and a few other issues we would have been fine. But we lost the Fb and the QB and 3 oline and the DTs and the Corner and the LB and the backup LB all a the same time.

It showed that if we could have just kept Shrader healthy we might have been fine.

The Clemson loss was on us making a couple mistakes not really a depth issue.

and no team has depth that works at levels either.. TCU if the qb went down would not be in the finals with all the close games they played.. But the handled the WRs going down for a game or 2.

OSU lost a WR when they had 3-4. we lost a WR that was finding his stride as well.

Mich lost a RB and had a great backup. We could have probably handled a RB issue

but when you lose the key things in the wrong spots teams suffer.

its up to the adminstration to spend money and play big boy ball and that takes buying out coaches that dont perform well and bringing in big time coaches. Then you need to match the offers they receive each year. It takes Admins, donors, boosters will need to help with that. I feel like we have been having the same conversation here for 10 years. Its not in our control. Its up to the University.

I think it’s the middle part of your post.

If the fans want a Syracuse program that will consistently compete at a high level, they're going to have to reach into their pockets and pay for it. Even more so now than when the facilities arms race began.

Personally, that's not for me. I'll keep donating what I do, but I'm not interested in spending the money that it will probably take. Not for this greedy sport.

I think it’s the middle part of your post.

If the fans want a Syracuse program that will consistently compete at a high level, they're going to have to reach into their pockets and pay for it. Even more so now than when the facilities arms race began.

Personally, that's not for me. I'll keep donating what I do, but I'm not interested in spending the money that it will probably take. Not for this greedy sport.
This is exactly why I didn’t mention the fans. That’s a lot to ask for.

So let’s fix it. If anything I’m typically on the more positive side. When we got to 6-0 I thought expectations should have been raised exactly for reasons like this. You have to make these seasons count because there is no more building up slowly. Your talented coaches are going to get poached.

How do we fix the problem of being the constant laughing stock and basement dweller. It’s not like this university doesn’t have a rich history. Why do we have to pinch pennies when it comes to paying a competent staff. The amount of money football brings in for the university has exploded. Private donors are trying to play catch up facility wise. Being who we have been the only way to keep talented coaches is to overpay. Coaching salaries and support staff are only going to increase as these conferences bring in more money. $700k for an elite DC isn’t going to cut it in CFB 2022 and beyond. We’re up against in every other category, why not try paying the market rate for a P5 coach because like it or not we’re not just competing against the ACC. We are competing against P5 where coaching salaries are only continuing to climb. What would really have made a statement is if we matched White’s salary for 1 year. Then we see how we do and if Dino doesn’t get us to a bowl maybe we have a new Hc.

Same crap going back to Marrone. We finally have a coach who could possibly stay here for life and we don’t follow through on our promises to him to upgrade our facilities. We’re never going to compete by doing it on the cheap even if people think we’re paying a lot for “Syracuse”. It’s always catch up, not once is it proactive .

We are investing 150 million dollars to upgrade and be a better place to stay.

What that has to do with a former chancellor and two ADs a decade ago I'm not sure...

Our subs did pretty darn good all things considered. But at one point there was 9 of them. 9. I bet you can’t find another team that were down 9 starters. If the subs were as good they’d be starters. Not to mention when a lot of this happened the schedule got more difficult. It was the perfect storm.

We had one game where we weren't competitive. If this rash of injuries happened at another time over the last X years it would've been blowout city. Depth got a lot better.

its up to the adminstration to spend money and play big boy ball and that takes buying out coaches that dont perform well and bringing in big time coaches. Then you need to match the offers they receive each year. It takes Admins, donors, boosters will need to help with that. I feel like we have been having the same conversation here for 10 years. Its not in our control. Its up to the University.
That’s the point the University has to feel our anger. The fans proved that they will fill the Dome when we have at least a competitive team like this year. The University screwed over the SUAD for years when money earned from sports was put in the University slush fund. That sent us to the Stone age facility wise and it’s been catch up since. If the University isn’t going to fully commit what’s the point? Syracuse brings in close to $30m a year. I would love to know where that goes? I don’t need to tell you, the difference between the halves and have nots has already started. What’s the point if we’re not committed to compete. I guarantee if this was the basketball teams and JB was asking for more it would get done.

That’s the point the University has to feel our anger. The fans proved that they will fill the Dome when we have at least a competitive team like this year. The University screwed over the SUAD for years when money earned from sports was put in the University slush fund. That sent us to the Stone age facility wise and it’s been catch up since. If the University isn’t going to fully commit what’s the point? Syracuse brings in close to $30m a year. I would love to know where that goes? I don’t need to tell you, the difference between the halves and have nots has already started. What’s the point if we’re not committed to compete. I guarantee if this was the basketball teams and JB was asking for more it would get done.
I understand the frustration. Im frustrated too. What is the point? I love the game too much not to watch. The team is gonna get my support regardless of the outcome of games but I get it. Every man has a breaking point.

We are investing 150 million dollars to upgrade and be a better place to stay.

What that has to do with a former chancellor and two ADs a decade ago I'm not sure...
That’s great, but that is just catch up to what programs have had for years. This is nothing that’s going to separate us, it’s something that was drastically needed.

That’s great, but that is just catch up to what programs have had for years. This is nothing that’s going to separate us, it’s something that was drastically needed.

You're worrying too much, seriously...team had a pretty solid year. They've done a good job basically of keeping kids that could've gone to other big schools. There's a lot to be said about the support for that.

Candidly I was surprised how positive White was going out the door.

We're paying coaches, building real lasting infrastructure. Complaining about the past doesn't really seem productive IMO.

That has been posted before. It’s for all injuries including guys that are just questionable. I’m talking season ending or at least long term. You can go count them because I’m not.
No. We'll just assume nobody has it worse than us.

Serious question. When is the last time we haven’t had devastating , season altering injuries? Losing Thompson, Lockett, Elmore, and Jones before we got to October was crushing, especially Lockett. Throw in Williams later in the year that’s 4 season ending ACL’s all at home with relatively little contact. I get if it was just this season, but this is every single year. It’s almost like the 4 or 5 false starts a game. These things don't happen at other places. Either we are just very unlucky, or there is an underlying issue. The false start stuff is another topic in it's own right.

I don't understand the "here's everything that's wrong with the team I care about" mentality. The team had a winning season, and huge efforts have already been made and are continuing to be made modernize facilities and operations. What else can you really ask for?

You're worrying too much, seriously...team had a pretty solid year. They've done a good job basically of keeping kids that could've gone to other big schools. There's a lot to be said about the support for that.

We're paying coaches, building real lasting infrastructure. Complaining about the past doesn't really seem productive IMO.

I really hate it to say it, but some of this fanbase really need to get over comparing this program to the Mac and McNabb days. No way am I saying to forget the history tho!

It's a new landscape, we all know this. When can we all start being proud the university is investing in the Dome, the program, assistants, nutrition, offices and training centers, have a good coach who is producing some really quality young men without still crying we aren't the same program as the 80s and 90s?

They have been doing the right things since the ACC money started coming in.

I'm not complaining about the past though. I'm complaining about the present where we just lost our OC and DC after a 7-5 year. You would hope if both coordinators would be poached we would have had at least 9 wins. That's why I was saying expectations should have been raised after a 6-0 start. I'm also saying paying elite coordinators under $1m isn't going to cut it anymore. With all the money these programs are bringing in assistant salary pools are just going to continue to increase. We have several things working against us, at least overpaying to keep top talent is something we can do. I know it won't happen, and nothing will change. We can celebrate getting to 6 wins and making a mid tier bowl every 5 years.

Honestly I don’t get posts like these? Our program has been the bottom dweller of the ACC since we joined, minus 2018 and half of this year. Any time we have any success it’s gone the next year. Remember when Marrone had two 8 win seasons and went to the NFL. Everything was going to be fine because we’re making a continuity hire. How’d that go? Set us back 5 years. Then we get Babers who despite a couple 4 win seasons looks promising. We have the great 2018 run and lose our OC to a mid-major HC job (Who just left that job to be an OC at Colorado).

I just don’t get where are all the roses and butterflies everybody sees? We’ve had 2 winning seasons in 7 years under Babers. We had 1 winning season in 3 years under Shafer, and Marrone, by far the best of the bunch was 2-2 and we lost him because we didn’t deliver on the facilities we promised. The theme is we are always playing catch up. I love watching the games, but is it fun having 5 winnings seasons in 14 years including some 1 win years? So I don’t get why you can’t understand the gloom and doom?
I can only speak for myself. In my “real life” I have a ton of stresses not limited to finishing my career on a high note, paying for my kid to go to college, finishing paying off my mortgage, getting my kid to every practice on time, keeping the Mrs happy which never ends, and getting old enough to realize I’m not immortal. My sports are my passion, and my escape. I KNOW that my hometown and Alma Mater have struggled for what seems like forever. I like to come and share my Cuse thoughts, triumphs, and despair with a bunch of like minded strangers to feel a sense of community. When it becomes an atmosphere of complete negativity it makes my escape something I don’t need I’m my life. I’m not saying everything needs to be positive, but some are just doom and gloom at all times and they get out on ignore and I carry on. That’s just my $.02, and what I think when I see the above comment.

I don't understand the "here's everything that's wrong with the team I care about" mentality. The team had a winning season, and huge efforts have already been made and are continuing to be made modernize facilities and operations. What else can you really ask for?
The modernization of the facilities is just catch up to what our P5 peers have had for years now. Everything we do is reactive. Not being able to keep assistants for lateral moves is what I’m asking to be fixed our we’re always going to be 2 steps behind hoping for mediocrity. I guess it’s fine if people just hope for 6 wins and make some low tier bowl, but I invest too much time and money to be happy about a 6-0 start with a 1-5 finish and losing both coordinators to peer schools. Please tell me the positives and how things are going to improve in the future?

I can only speak for myself. In my “real life” I have a ton of stresses not limited to finishing my career on a high note, paying for my kid to go to college, finishing paying off my mortgage, getting my kid to every practice on time, keeping the Mrs happy which never ends, and getting old enough to realize I’m not immortal. My sports are my passion, and my escape. I KNOW that my hometown and Alma Mater have struggled for what seems like forever. I like to come and share my Cuse thoughts, triumphs, and despair with a bunch of like minded strangers to feel a sense of community. When it becomes an atmosphere of complete negativity it makes my escape something I don’t need I’m my life. I’m not saying everything needs to be positive, but some are just doom and gloom at all times and they get out on ignore and I carry on. That’s just my $.02, and what I think when I see the above comment.

Great post

And that is exactly why we will never compete in the current college football landscape ever again. People don’t care. And not just you, but people who are supposed to care.

The modernization of the facilities is just catch up to what our P5 peers have had for years now. Everything we do is reactive. Not being able to keep assistants for lateral moves is what I’m asking to be fixed our we’re always going to be 2 steps behind hoping for mediocrity. I guess it’s fine if people just hope for 6 wins and make some low tier bowl, but I invest too much time and money to be happy about a 6-0 start with a 1-5 finish and losing both coordinators to peer schools. Please tell me the positives and how things are going to improve in the future?
It’s just college football. Life’s too short to get so worked up about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom