Deer Bud Poliquin, J. Slater and Syrascusefan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Deer Bud Poliquin, J. Slater and Syrascusefan

I met Bud at the Chiefs hot stove night as he said he was not a Syracuse U. sports fan(forgot who he roots for) But he is getting paid to write articles...that's all
That's typically true of most sports reporters and columnists. They aren't usually fans of the teams they cover. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I've read a few Bud columns from back in the 1980s when they have run them as flashbacks. Nobody would ever confuse him with a sports expert, but surprisingly they aren't horrible. By that, I mean I can actually understand what the heck he is talking about even if I disagree. Now he has just gotten way too cute for his own good trying to show what a great writer he thinks he is.

First let me say, Yes, I know I spelled deer incorrectly. Its a Tigernetism acknowledging the the fact that writing a letter on the interwebs is dumb, funny and sometimes necessary. I have no idea where you (Bud) find this guy (Slater). The one Clemson fan willing to wear out his jaw to a non gamecock fanbase. If he is real, I can only imagine he is motivated by conference envy. Trying to stir up the hornets so they become impassioned and stomp a mudhole in the SEC in future bowl games. That is IF he is real. I know you (Bud) must be dying for clicks. I know you are in the business of getting clicks so that's not the issue but isn't there a line of professionalism to be drawn somewhere. Some one like that just happening to write inflammatory emails that just happen to be directed to you. Sure. totally believable. Now we all know that opinions are like buttholes so I wont try lay out every possible opinion of Clemson fans towards Syracuse. But I can speak in grand generalities as someone who knows a lot of people.

Clemson Fans loved their CNY experience - They came early, stayed late made it a vacation to a beautiful location. They enjoyed the city, the campus, the BBQ and the unique game atmosphere. "This place is AWESOME!" - Dabo Swinney upon entering the Carrier Dome on game day.

Clemson Fans like your coach - Why? Because he's just like our coach. Passionate and good recruiter. The school is more than the next job its his dream job and he loves the community. He's building a program and building men not just winning games. The general consensus is the that f-bombs were funny not offensive.

Clemson fans respect your history - well they don't know a lot of your history, (the 44 and Fort Drum etc) but they'll never forget Donovan McNabb. and its because of that butt whoopin' that we look past the past decade of decline and rebuild to what you really are. (You built a freakin' football DOME! Much respect.)

Clemson fans think you are a program on the rise - No, nobody thinks you'll beat us this year or even next but we know where you've been and how you've recruited in the past. We know what kind of money is coming into the program now, what you've got, what you're building and how you are beginning to recruit again.

So there might actually be a real jack hole who takes time bash a school he knows nothing about and there might be a jack hole who takes the opportunity to use him to paint an entire fan base with the same brush for the sake of clicks, but I can promise you this. Buy your tickets and and travel to Death Valley this fall and you will see what the real Clemson fan base is like. You will NOT go hungry, You will NOT go thristy, you will leave feeling the most welcomed and affectionate towards an enemy fanbase you have ever felt in you life. You'll mark your calender for 2016 and bring 4 more with you next time. You'll arrive wondering where to go and what to do and you'll leave feeling like you've been to a family reunion in which nobody seems to realize you aren't family. Don't read it from random emails (or forum posts) come and experience it for yourself. At Kickoff we'll be loud and crazy but never rude. You'll leave wishing you could come back sooner

See y'all in October

MSTiger02

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. -Steve Jobs

XALTIAKDIAFWOLB.20121205144022.jpg
very well done. i do not view any fan base or team as an enemy, just an opponent. most folks i have met at away games are generally very cordial, hospitable and have excellent tongue in cheek humor. the ones that are rude are usually drunk and very young. we all know about those everywhere and ignore them.

So how was your experience in Clemson this past year? Good, Bad, Ugly? Aside from the score of course, losing close ones sting for sure. Did you find things to do while you were here? What was interaction like with the fans? We're all pulling for you OOC this year (As Always) and will especially be watching the LSU game.

First let me say, Yes, I know I spelled deer incorrectly. Its a Tigernetism acknowledging the the fact that writing a letter on the interwebs is dumb, funny and sometimes necessary. I have no idea where you (Bud) find this guy (Slater). The one Clemson fan willing to wear out his jaw to a non gamecock fanbase. If he is real, I can only imagine he is motivated by conference envy. Trying to stir up the hornets so they become impassioned and stomp a mudhole in the SEC in future bowl games. That is IF he is real. I know you (Bud) must be dying for clicks. I know you are in the business of getting clicks so that's not the issue but isn't there a line of professionalism to be drawn somewhere. Some one like that just happening to write inflammatory emails that just happen to be directed to you. Sure. totally believable. Now we all know that opinions are like buttholes so I wont try lay out every possible opinion of Clemson fans towards Syracuse. But I can speak in grand generalities as someone who knows a lot of people.

Clemson Fans loved their CNY experience - They came early, stayed late made it a vacation to a beautiful location. They enjoyed the city, the campus, the BBQ and the unique game atmosphere. "This place is AWESOME!" - Dabo Swinney upon entering the Carrier Dome on game day.

Clemson Fans like your coach - Why? Because he's just like our coach. Passionate and good recruiter. The school is more than the next job its his dream job and he loves the community. He's building a program and building men not just winning games. The general consensus is the that f-bombs were funny not offensive.

Clemson fans respect your history - well they don't know a lot of your history, (the 44 and Fort Drum etc) but they'll never forget Donovan McNabb. and its because of that butt whoopin' that we look past the past decade of decline and rebuild to what you really are. (You built a freakin' football DOME! Much respect.)

Clemson fans think you are a program on the rise - No, nobody thinks you'll beat us this year or even next but we know where you've been and how you've recruited in the past. We know what kind of money is coming into the program now, what you've got, what you're building and how you are beginning to recruit again.

So there might actually be a real jack hole who takes time bash a school he knows nothing about and there might be a jack hole who takes the opportunity to use him to paint an entire fan base with the same brush for the sake of clicks, but I can promise you this. Buy your tickets and and travel to Death Valley this fall and you will see what the real Clemson fan base is like. You will NOT go hungry, You will NOT go thristy, you will leave feeling the most welcomed and affectionate towards an enemy fanbase you have ever felt in you life. You'll mark your calender for 2016 and bring 4 more with you next time. You'll arrive wondering where to go and what to do and you'll leave feeling like you've been to a family reunion in which nobody seems to realize you aren't family. Don't read it from random emails (or forum posts) come and experience it for yourself. At Kickoff we'll be loud and crazy but never rude. You'll leave wishing you could come back sooner

See y'all in October

MSTiger02

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. -Steve Jobs

XALTIAKDIAFWOLB.20121205144022.jpg

Last edited:
MSTiger02 said:
So how was your experience in Clemson this past year? Good, Bad, Ugly? Aside from the score of course, losing close ones stings for sure. Did you find things to do while you were here? What was interaction like with the fans? We're all pulling for you OOC this year (As Always) and will especially be watching the LSU game.

It was great watching on tv. Sadly the game wasn't over when this was taken:

ForumRunner_20150805_115655.png

So how was your experience in Clemson this past year? Good, Bad, Ugly? Aside from the score of course, losing close ones sting for sure. Did you find things to do while you were here? What was interaction like with the fans? We're all pulling for you OOC this year (As Always) and will especially be watching the LSU game.

I attended last year at Clemson, nice atmosphere, friendly fans, nice stadium. The booing of our injured players however was strictly bush league.

Had a great time. Drove up from Atlanta that morning, tailgated all day, and headed home after. The atmosphere was great, and the tailgating was legendary. The fact that it's every other year is icing.

I attended last year at Clemson, nice atmosphere, friendly fans, nice stadium. The booing of our injured players however was strictly bush league.

Yeah the injury booing has gotten to be a problem. It started in the LSU game in 2012 and escalated in the UGA game in 2013 when it was apparent that the defenses where not only faking injuries but that the "play" was being called in from the sidelines. Since then its been exposed that many teams practice faking injuries so that they use it against HUNH offenses.

I'm not a big fan of it (booing) myself because you're booing guys who are really injured just to make sure you let the fakers know how you feel. There isn't anything we as fans can do about it so stay classy. Glad your experience was good other than that.

Yeah the injury booing has gotten to be a problem. It started in the LSU game in 2012 and escalated in the UGA game in 2013 when it was apparent that the defenses where not only faking injuries but that the "play" was being called in from the sidelines. Since then its been exposed that many teams practice faking injuries so that they use it against HUNH offenses.

I'm not a big fan of it (booing) myself because you're booing guys who are really injured just to make sure you let the fakers know how you feel. There isn't anything we as fans can do about it so stay classy. Glad your experience was good other than that.
The booing bothered me as well, but I chalked it up to a lack of scouting by the fans and local media.

The booing was horrible. They even booed when Syracuse's offensive players went down. No excuse for it. It may keep me from going back. No such issues at other schools.

The way around that is that if a player goes out for injury, they are out for that series.

The booing was horrible. They even booed when Syracuse's offensive players went down. No excuse for it. It may keep me from going back. No such issues at other schools.
It was straight up bush league by the heavy majority of Clemson fans.

It was alright. *** Obvious statement Alert *** Every fan base thinks that their team and atmosphere is special and CU was no different. Some passionate fans, decent tailgating and engaged environment giving CU a home field advantage.

For me at least, it isn't in the top tier of college football experiences. Granted there are many places I haven't been, but for me, Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan and Ohio State are a step above the other places ive been (Penn state, Pitt, Clemson, BC).

It was alright. *** Obvious statement Alert *** Every fan base thinks that their team and atmosphere is special and CU was no different. Some passionate fans, decent tailgating and engaged environment giving CU a home field advantage.

For me at least, it isn't in the top tier of college football experiences. Granted there are many places I haven't been, but for me, Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan and Ohio State are a step above the other places ive been (Penn state, Pitt, Clemson, BC).

I have been to Notre Dame, frankly was not particularly impressed. I liked Clemson better except for that booing thing.

Bud is like an aging grandfather who is a few cents short of a dollar. He's not in touch with the local fan bases, but that won't stop him from having something to say in the most indirect way possible.
Bud is like a gender confused alien who wakes up everyday and wonders why he has this strange sensation each time he thinks of or sees the manchild

Hopes for this season's SU-Clemson game:

1. No kid gets hurt. Either side.

2. If not 1., then no "boos". EVER!

3. HCSS sneaks in a "F%€& you, Dabo!"

4. An SU win.

Last edited:
Do you guys have a group coming to the Dome this year? In November, you might get to see a little snow. It would be fun to get together for a few and b.s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom