Depth Chart 2 deep for Rhode island released | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart 2 deep for Rhode island released

Weird. B'ville and West Genny at left and right guard

4 of 5 starting OL from NY

And 6 total starters on offense from NY
But there are no DIV I players from NY. :bat: We have FL and GA covered, NY covered and the Midwest. Sounds like the makings of a good team.

Coming out of spring, we were told by reporters (mainly Bailey I guess) that the RG competition was between Roberts and Hayes. I cannot remember Shanley being mentioned in practice reports during camp. I might just have a bad memory. Did reporters fall asleep while this story was developing or are the coaches good at keeping secrets?

Generally speaking, when a walk-on beats out a scholy player, he has to win the battle decisively...which I hope is the case here. But since we open with RI, I could see shafer using it as a bit of a motivating factor for Roberts if the race was close.

Coming out of spring, we were told by reporters (mainly Bailey I guess) that the RG competition was between Roberts and Hayes. I cannot remember Shanley being mentioned in practice reports during camp. I might just have a bad memory. Did reporters fall asleep while this story was developing or are the coaches good at keeping secrets?

The reporters are allowed 20 minutes at the beginning of practice. I don't think anyone fell asleep. This is a feel-good story though, and I like that the competition goes forward.

The reporters are allowed 20 minutes at the beginning of practice. I don't think anyone fell asleep. This is a feel-good story though, and I like that the competition goes forward.
I love the story. It just seems like it came out of nowhere. I am surprised that nobody knew Shanley was working with the 1st team. It seems like coaches would have mentioned his progress at some point. Nothing else on the depth chart is all that surprising.

I love the story. It just seems like it came out of nowhere. Nothing else on the depth chart is all that surprising.

It's good to know that the coaches can keep a lid on things. If no one asks, then no reason to make it public. And I don't think the reporters are at fault for not asking. They have narrow windows during camp and a lot to digest and report on.

I also like Moore back at TE!

Winfield is the most physically impressive cb. I saw him struggle with technique in the fan fest scrimmage. Anyone know how he did at Ft Drum?

I remember Roberts VS. Hayes being a "position battle to watch" going into camp. I never heard anything about it once camp started. I just assumed Roberts had taken control and it was no longer a competition.

We get so focused on rankings. All the freshmans who are on the two deep were ranked lower at their position. Pickard/Ealey were ranked higher than Quadir. Ellison and Fredrick were ranked higher than Whitner. Some services had Cross higher than Clark. The way we were talking about Pickard one would think he'd be 2nd at the least and starting by mid season, some of us might have felt Whitner was a reach. I credit the staff for their eye for talent and developing them.

I remember Roberts VS. Hayes being a "position battle to watch" going into camp. I never heard anything about it once camp started. I just assumed Roberts had taken control and it was no longer a competition.

The competitions at camp all have their own characteristics, but generally I think coaches prefer to stay mum until they make the final decision. This fosters competition and makes everyone better.

We get so focused on rankings. All the freshmans who are on the two deep were ranked lower at their position. Pickard/Ealey were ranked higher than Quadir. Ellison and Fredrick were ranked higher than Whitner. Some services had Cross higher than Clark. The way we were talking about Pickard one would think he'd be 2nd at the least and starting by mid season, some of us might have felt Whitner was a reach. I credit the staff for their eye for talent and developing them.
Some ranked higher means some didn't. We know they are all pretty good. So by deductive reasoning they are pretty even talent with one moving slightly ahead of the other for this week. They all can't play the same position. Later in the year or next the other player may be a hair better. Doesn't matter to me, because we need a ton of talented players to improve. Nothing is static. Talent and competition are always changing.

Generally speaking, when a walk-on beats out a scholy player, he has to win the battle decisively...which I hope is the case here. But since we open with RI, I could see shafer using it as a bit of a motivating factor for Roberts if the race was close.

Thought the exact same thing. Won't be surprised one bit if there's a change for wake forest.

Some ranked higher means some didn't. We know they are all pretty good. So by deductive reasoning they are pretty even talent with one moving slightly ahead of the other for this week. They all can't play the same position. Later in the year or next the other player may be a hair better. Doesn't matter to me, because we need a ton of talented players to improve. Nothing is static. Talent and competition are always changing.
Sometimes when you've got two freshmen that you think are somewhat equivalent, but one has a higher upside, you redshirt the higher upside guy and play the other one.:noidea:

Luke is a surprise. I would think Whigham would be a great candidate but congrats to Luke

Do the players still vote for who are their captains. May that says something about Arciniega.

Do the players still vote for who are their captains. May that says something about Arciniega.
They did last year. Otherwise how else would a LS have gotten a captainship?

I LOVE this 2-deep. Love it. Shanley at guard says to me that there is something about this kid, otherwise a walk-on doesn't get the nod. AND he gets the nod over 2 other guards that can play and we're in a stiff competition. All of that equals depth on the o line. Conway making an appearance is great to see. A true freshman that can make a case for the most important position on the line. Bodes great for the future.

Moore at TE has always been a no brainer. That kid always produced at that position and it made me scratch my head why he was being forced into the o line. We have proven production at TE.

Like seeing Vigille get opportunity at MLB. He has put in a lot of time at Syracuse with little to show. Maybe he gets in, maybe not if Hodge still slides over when need be. But good to see him make the 2 deep.

Winfield getting the nod at corner shows the coaches made the right decision when they moved him over. They always said his measurables were well suited to corner and Shafer said he has had great success with corners with his body type and length.

OL, maybe more than any other position, really relies on experience and not just skills or potential. To replace 4 starters will be a tall order. Hopefully several of the back ups can get some solid time (not due to injury).
shanley would have another year if he wanted it.

upperdeck said:
shanley would have another year if he wanted it.

Saw that further up.

Wilson and Dungey sharing the #2 spot makes me think that we won't see Dungey unless Hunt is out with a long term injury. This might just be wishful thinking on my part. I'd hate to see Dungey's eligibility blown in mop-up duty. Let Wilson have those snaps. I hope they won't use Dungey unless they are really going to use him.

Luke is a surprise. I would think Whigham would be a great candidate but congrats to Luke
Surprised that a soph. got it too. I would have thought Ron Thompson might have gotten one of them.