Depth Chart for Colgate | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart for Colgate

Thoughts:

- I think the offensive skill positions turned out as expected. Don't see any TE including Cam playing a ton outside of blocking formations.

- Estime will be a starter. Love the speed/playing making of Estime, Twao and Phillips combined with Steady Stevie. Best WR unit we have had since Lemon/Sales/West and certainly more athletic.

-RBs will be better than last year, these guys can play. Very optimistic about this whole unit moving forward.

- Conway is a nice surprise. Had been hoping he would jump Lasker. McGloster looks like an absolute beast, hopefully it translates. We have some nice size on the O-line. This group will surprise people I think.

- The big story is the DL. I think Coleman is going to be a pass rushing stud BUT for this year he may struggle in vs run blocking and against ACC competition in general. Usually DE is a hard position for true freshman to be very good at early. Maybe he is a diamond. Staff had to move Slayton, I think he moves back inside next year. Pickard, IMO, just doesn't rush the edge well enough yet to start. DTs will be fine. Very excited about McKinley.

- We may get beaten down in the run game, but we do have some athletic LBs who can run. Think this group can play the Tampa 2 coverage responsibilities.

- As for DBs, the starters encourage me, the depth is scary. If we can stay healthy here, we may be alright.

- Overall, young roster with talent. Only 9 seniors on 2 deep and most don't start. I can't wait for friday, but I really can't wait for 2017

Not sure why, but I am less concerned about DL than Secondary. With the injuries and the lack of depth/experience, we better have good luck with injuries.
I agree, I am more concern with the secondary. We will get production on the D line from a combination of many. Secondary has depth/inexperience problems

Seriously the dude been killin it.
I'm very glad to hear that, and you've been saying that all along. But a true freshman starter at not running back will always terrify me.

I like the OL configuration, DL/DE looks to be a better group then we thought with Coleman playing his way to the starting spot, wish we would see more then 2 deep for WR as I'm sure we will see 9-10 in the game early, and with the TE position I think some might be making a bigger deal over this position then needed.
I have no concerns about the TE position this year. Next year on the other hand...We don't use TE's as much as other offenses but we still need them. Like the verbal we have for 2017 but we need to bring in another stud TE.

I agree, I am more concern with the secondary. We will get production on the D line from a combination of many. Secondary has depth/inexperience problems

I am opposite I am more concerned about out run defense than our pass defense. Our "light" LB are going to put tons of pressure on our DL to not let the other teams offensive linemen get to the next level and put hands on our LBers.

We really need to get Williams and Morgan back healthy by Lville. Getting those two back will help with the depth/experience problems. Its to bad about Pierre but not unexpected. A little surprising the staff moved Bradshaw with all of the issues in the secondary but I guess they don't feel like he projects well there. I expect SU to bring in a least two safeties in next years class with Pierre out.

Agree about Scoop. If he's not in 2-Deep, would think it would be prudent to keep him at Safety, as there's much less depth there.
We really need to get Williams and Morgan back healthy by Lville. Getting those two back will help with the depth/experience problems. Its to bad about Pierre but not unexpected. A little surprising the staff moved Bradshaw with all of the issues in the secondary but I guess they don't feel like he projects well there. I expect SU to bring in a least two safeties in next years class with Pierre out.

Agree about Scoop. If he's not in 2-Deep, would think it would be prudent to keep him at Safety, as there's much less depth there.

It does seem odd. Tells me one of two things.

1. The injuries to the three secondary guys (not including Clarke) who are still out aren't season ending and at least 2 of the 3 should be back

2. The staff feels Bradshaw doesn't project as a safety at the Div 1 level.

Team/staff really needs to avoid injuries in the secondary. If a safety or two is dinged up this team could be in a world of hurt. Whitner taking that next step forward this year after a so/so Frosh year would be a big help. Not sure what the staff plan is for Morgan once he gets back, assuming he ever gets back.

yessir. Good points

Interesting to see Conway leapfrog Lasker. Long term, I think this is development is what's best for the team. Will be interesting to see if Lasker will eventually supplant McGloster at RT, or if the BIG guy can hang onto the job and be productive.

Coleman got rave reviews during preseason camp, so I'm not surprised he's earned the start with Pickard being injured. Hope we can cobble together reasonable productivity from this group. Four true frosh and a redshirt frosh + a walk on and a generally unproductive 5th year senior doesn't exactly sound like a formula for success, but hopefully this group can get it done.

The secondary depth / numbers are terrifying, IMO. Can't afford an injury here.

Last edited:
Definitely a couple of mild surprises here... Embatooey beating AC is a big surprise to me...

Cornelius has missed a few days of practice due to injury. He seems to be an enigma.

I am opposite I am more concerned about out run defense than our pass defense. Our "light" LB are going to put tons of pressure on our DL to not let the other teams offensive linemen get to the next level and put hands on our LBers.
When you know your alignment assignment and techniques due to experience it allows you to play bigger and faster. They will do alot of stunting up front that will funnel the runners into the LB's. LB's just have to be patient in this scheme. Bowling Green's two leading tacklers were walk ons. One was 5'9 213, the other was 6'0 216. Both had over 100 tackles.

do we have Colgate's depth chart??

I always like to see the letters won, returning starters etc...

I'm very glad to hear that, and you've been saying that all along. But a true freshman starter at not running back will always terrify me.
I hear you. We have no choice though. He is better than the other DE's. Im more optimistic about the DE's than others. I dont think we were great at that position last year. Thompson's production dropped during the second half of the season. Simmons was never good to me. Arciniega was always hurt, and Sheppard wasnt ready to be a full time player. This year, I think we can get the same production from a variety of players. We might be better. IMO

Anyone else concerned that two of our starting linebackers are less than 210lbs?

Yeah, what happened to the strong side LB? I don't recognize either of those names.

It's just an unfortunate & necessary evil this year after losing 3 would be contributors in the offseason. Looks like we could still have 4 guys game ready. Maybe 5 depending on Ruff, but with all his cross training who knows where he mostly ends up. Bright side, get through it now and in 2 years we could be looking at an All ACC DE.

What is the deal with Hodge? He came on strong in his freshmen year and has seemed to regress ever since.

I hear you. We have no choice though. He is better than the other DE's. Im more optimistic about the DE's than others. I dont think we were great at that position last year. Thompson's production dropped during the second half of the season. Simmons was never good to me. Arciniega was always hurt, and Sheppard wasnt ready to be a full time player. This year, I think we can get the same production from a variety of players. We might be better. IMO

Can't imagine what the defense would look like if Shafer were still here. Ron Thompson would be back to go with Pickard, but man we'd be hurting, there'd be no one else. Baber's crew brought in Coleman, Wilson, Black, Nelson, Ruff, McKinley.

The more I think of it, the more I like Coleman as a starter. We knew at DE we were going to have to play a true freshman or two - usually that means things are dicey. Having one step up as one of the top two on the team hopefully means we have a pleasant surprise and we have a guy playing thanks to talent instead of desperation.

I mean, maybe it means all of our DEs are trash, but we've got plenty of time to worry about that during the season. For now I'm going to say Coleman is all ACC frosh team.

PhatOrange said:
Hodge started last year and got jumped by a better player this year.

Bennett is a good player. I have no worries with him at all (outside of injuries). Zaire is solid too.

Heard McKinley turned some heads.

That's awesome. If I remember correctly most sites had him as our lowest rated recruit last year -- by a wide margin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom