Depth Chart for Colgate | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart for Colgate

That's funny because I really like the DL. Buy when everyone else is selling.

We've got some proven bodies in there and I think Kendall will surprise some people.

The middle of that line is stacked IMO.
A lot of people seem to be bully on potential, but I don't like potential in a league where the talent gap can be pretty large.

I hear you. We have no choice though. He is better than the other DE's. Im more optimistic about the DE's than others. I dont think we were great at that position last year. Thompson's production dropped during the second half of the season. Simmons was never good to me. Arciniega was always hurt, and Sheppard wasnt ready to be a full time player. This year, I think we can get the same production from a variety of players. We might be better. IMO
Agree on Thompson, he got caught out of position a lot for huge runs, seemed he was more concerned with sacks, then staying in his lane. The fact he never got drafted, seems to show the scouts felt he didn't play well.

A lot of people seem to be bully on potential, but I don't like potential in a league where the talent gap can be pretty large.

We have 3 guys from last year with extensive playing time and starts on DL. Slayton is only one out of position, but I've heard he's beasting in the trenches. I think we will see a lot of rotations to get the right fit.

I'm not nearly as worried as others. I'm more worried about the secondary than anything.

That's awesome. If I remember correctly most sites had him as our lowest rated recruit last year -- by a wide margin.
Plus, I think Ty Cross can be pretty good.

What's more impressive about Coleman is he had a shoulder injury and could not workout for quite a while and still made 1st string.

Plus, Hodge missed more tackles last season than anyone I've ever seen. He'd make a great read and whiff time after time.
Pretty sure it was brought up in chat session that staff not really high on him either. Hate to say it but neither have I been after what I saw from him last season.

Last edited:
Don't know why they list the TE instead of the 2nd inside WR. No way the TE will play more than the 2nd inside WR. Heck, we will run more 5 WR sets more than 3 WR sets.

Would like to know who the 2 backup inside WRs are. I am guessing Neal and Bradshaw, though I think Avant and Riley are competing with them.

Looks like Evans has been moved inside. They have tried him at center and he is on the two deep at OG. The coaches must see something in him. Same thing with Byrne. Right now, I would expect those two to have the inside track on starting next year, replacing outgoing seniors Emerich and Palmer. Though it is impressive that a true frosh (Heckel) beat out so many more experienced players for the two team spot at center.

Good to see Conway win the LT spot. If it is close, like to see the underclassman win a battle for a starting position. Between, Conway, Roberts, Heckel, Byrne, Adams, Duerig and Clausman, plus the other kids, there is a good core to build with.

I am guessing Custis and AC must have had good camps, if the staff is playing Butler some at RB.

On the defensive side, I expect Slayton to play a lot at DT and DE. More at DE against run-based offenses, more at DT against pass-based offenses.

I think Winfield, Hudson and Dowels are the top 3 CBs. All will play a lot, especially against 3 WR sets.

Rodney Williams dropped off the two deep, probably more due to injuries than anything else. He has been plagued by injuries going back to HS. Too bad, he is a talented player. If Whitner gets hurt, I would expect Scissum to start at FS and Cordy to return to SS.

Overall, it is a very undersized unit that almost invites teams to power run against us. I hope we can tackle and hold the line of scrimmage well, because our secondary and linebackers are going to be dominant...not with their lack of size. It is a fast unit, and our ability to defend against the pass looks better than our ability to defend the run. We are going to have to score a lot of points to get to six wins.

Anyone else concerned that two of our starting linebackers are less than 210lbs?

Yes, but at least the glass is half-full way to look at it is that there was a time in the 90s that we had a bunch of really light LBs to start the season and I believe two of them turned out to be bullock and Greenwood. I know Greenwood initially started as a redshirt frosh at like 215. I think Hemsley played really light too. So I don't know if it bodes well for 2016 but at least if they are talented they should grow into bigger, stronger but still fast versions of themselves. I guess that's reaching ...

Yes, but at least the glass is half-full way to look at it is that there was a time in the 90s that we had a bunch of really light LBs to start the season and I believe two of them turned out to be bullock and Greenwood. I know Greenwood initially started as a redshirt frosh at like 215. I think Hemsley played really light too. So I don't know if it bodes well for 2016 but at least if they are talented they should grow into bigger, stronger but still fast versions of themselves. I guess that's reaching ...
Eric Striker played around 215 for Oklahoma and so I'm not overly worried about their size; instincts and nose for the ball will overcome the lack of size.

Can't imagine what the defense would look like if Shafer were still here. Ron Thompson would be back to go with Pickard, but man we'd be hurting, there'd be no one else. Baber's crew brought in Coleman, Wilson, Black, Nelson, Ruff, McKinley.

The work they did on recruiting the D Line with a 2 month window where they basically had to start over from scratch was nothing short of miraculous.

It's unfortunate Pierre and Moore didn't qualify because I think that is really going to sting us this year.

Anyone else concerned that two of our starting linebackers are less than 210lbs?

Most of our backers are <210, minus Franklin. Most on here praise speed and the need for backers to cover in the T2. I have been on record as saying i loved ruff in the middle when he was recruited at 6'1", 230. But we blew him up to 260 in a flash bc of the lack of depth @ DE.

Most of our backers are <210, minus Franklin. Most on here praise speed and the need for backers to cover in the T2. I have been on record as saying i loved ruff in the middle when he was recruited at 6'1", 230. But we blew him up to 260 in a flash bc of the lack of depth @ DE.
He came here in December at 260-plus. "We" didn't blow him up.

Contrary to where the recruiting sites listed him, Ruff was never going to play LB here...he doesn't move well enough. I've even heard that, eventually, Armstrong might end-up at MLB.

Contrary to where the recruiting sites listed him, Ruff was never going to play LB here...he doesn't move well enough. I've even heard that, eventually, Armstrong might end-up at MLB.
True, and Ruff isn't done yet... He has DT written all over him...

Maybe you are right, but i saw coverage of him at mlb wgt and a story about bulking him up to play DE. either way, it's one depth chart for Colgate, he will break through.

I haven't bothered to look but id bet if we go back and read his recruiting thread we talk DE. I remember his film screamed it.

I haven't bothered to look but id bet if we go back and read his recruiting thread we talk DE. I remember his film screamed it.
Signed as a LB, but several in that thread thought he could play DE (money, cuseguy, phat, etc.)

I hear you. We have no choice though. He is better than the other DE's. Im more optimistic about the DE's than others. I dont think we were great at that position last year. Thompson's production dropped during the second half of the season. Simmons was never good to me. Arciniega was always hurt, and Sheppard wasnt ready to be a full time player. This year, I think we can get the same production from a variety of players. We might be better. IMO

Great point. Its not like we are replacing Freeney. Thompson was really non-existent for extended stretches. Still would like to have him back but production wise we may really be better.

Wow, can't believe Jake didn't win the job.
surprised me too. I thought for sure Pickard would be with the 1s. granted, I imagine its a rotation, but still.
Packard's pizza-and-beer arms from February didn't scream sure-fire ACC starting DE to me. Hopefully this means Coleman is a stud.

upload_2016-8-30_7-5-13.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom