Development of Howard as a PG | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Development of Howard as a PG

Surprised anyone would be down on Howard, there hasn't been too much to go on, however, over the past month he's displayed some good tendencies in getting into and making plays in the lane. He seems to have a knack for finishing, and has made some good passes. Definitely seems to fit the bill for the PG position better than anything we've had since Ennis. Which I realize isn't saying too much...It's hard to know since it's all potential, and a limited sample size, but I haven't seen anything that terrifies me yet. He hasn't really "ran" the offense much in a traditional sense though, so that remains to be seen. Having a more natural playmaker in that role should help a bit regardless.

Change will happen when we realize we need to recruit a true point guard who can handle, pass and shoot.

We convinced Battle to come here by telling him he could play the point.

Howard is a Freshman. Do you remember what Gbinje looked like as a third year sophomore here? He literally had trouble getting the ball over mid court. Howard has size vision and a better handle that silent g - just needs seasoning.

PG for next year is easily my #1 concern. The bigs will be fine.

I am absolutely loving Richardsons development. He is gonna be a flat out stud next year.

Jake, this is what I'm talking about. You're not saying anything I disagree with per say. But you're saying next year your #1 concern is point guard, isn't that a place where Howard will still be a backup? When won't be be a concern? His junior year? Senior year? I just don't see point guard in this guys game.

Howard is a Freshman. Do you remember what Gbinje looked like as a third year sophomore here? He literally had trouble getting the ball over mid court. Howard has size vision and a better handle that silent g - just needs seasoning.

I am absolutely loving Richardsons development. He is gonna be a flat out stud next year.

not sure if i even agree about the bigs. I think we still need a quality 4/5 and someone other than Lydon who can shoot from the wing

G tends to make the interior pass to the bigs ankles most of the time, I don't blame G he is not a point guard. But since Jim didn't get us a point guard we gots what we gots. I don't like when JB throws the bigs under the bus about the d when they are all playing in the wrong positions. Can I make a suggestion and stop playing the 4 -1 zone they shot 90% against it the last 8 minutes

Yeah Mali will be pretty good, but it'll be tied to an nba bench...

Yeah Mali will be pretty good, but it'll be tied to an nba bench...

People keep saying this, but unlike CMAC last year he is on zero draft boards anywhere and most Mocks still have Lydon ahead of him as a prospect for next year. I like Malachi's game and he is improving rapidly, but there is zero basis for this.

People keep saying this, but unlike CMAC last year he is on zero draft boards anywhere and most Mocks still have Lydon ahead of him as a prospect for next year. I like Malachi's game and he is improving rapidly, but there is zero basis for this.
Just wait...

AZOrange said:
Just wait...

If Joseph transfers and Malachi goes pro, we've got 2 guards next year.

Neither of whom are good shooters.

Conference play just started. Big games like last night will help raise his visibility and then he'll be gone. I hate the idea, but that's the way it works.

Just wait...

Like he said. ^^^

Conference play just started. Big games like last night will help raise his visibility and then he'll be gone. I hate the idea, but that's the way it works.

Like he said. ^^^

McCullough and Ennis were already on first round mocks when conference play started the past two years.

McCullough and Ennis were already on first round mocks when conference play started the past two years.

I believe you on CMac, but I'll need some proof on the Ennis assertion young man.

If I can find historical mocks, I'll research it. I'm almost certain. McW got off to a fast start his sophomore year as well and was a projected first rounder. It wasn't until his performance in the tournament that he was locked in the top ten.

The good part about this year is we probably don't have to worry about that.

If I can find historical mocks, I'll research it. I'm almost certain. McW got off to a fast start his sophomore year as well and was a projected first rounder. It wasn't until his performance in the tournament that he was locked in the top ten.

The good part about this year is we probably don't have to worry about that.

Wait a second. You said Ennis, not MCW. I believe MCW was on mocks, just not Ennis in his freshman year 4 games into the ACC season.

I think Howard ends up being a solid player for us.

Wait a second. You said Ennis, not MCW. I believe MCW was on mocks, just not Ennis in his freshman year 4 games into the ACC season.

They all were. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Ennis was great in the non conference that year, especially in Maui.

haven't really seen any in game attempts to "develop" howard as a point guard this season. starting backcourt plays 40.

If Joseph transfers and Malachi goes pro, we've got 2 guards next year.

Neither of whom are good shooters.
I believe it would be time to finally enter the graduate transfer pool.

not sure if i even agree about the bigs. I think we still need a quality 4/5 and someone other than Lydon who can shoot from the wing
Are you downgrading Lydon? He is easily the most talented freshman we have next to Mali. In fact, in the long haul, he may be better overall.
Having said that, I can't wait until next year to see the two of them play off each other.

Are you downgrading Lydon? He is easily the most talented freshman we have next to Mali. In fact, in the long haul, he may be better overall.
Having said that, I can't wait until next year to see the two of them play off each other.

Lydon is a 3 more than a 5

Just stop with the Malichi to NBA nonsense. Ain't happening.
Jake, do you see us being a buyer for a 5th year transfer after this year? Seems like an opening of some kind could occur, even without Malachi leaving. UL has done very well this year with that philosophy and baring a great turn around, this will be two sub par JB years in a row. Can't imagine a shakeup of some kind isn't in the works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom