Development of Howard as a PG | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Development of Howard as a PG

I think Malichi will leave. He is already the best offensive player on this team.

He does seem to play with no conscience, as if he knows this is just a show case for the scouts, no matter what the team record. Lydon could learn from him and adopt some of that devil-may-care attitude.

I agree he is likely gone.

G - Top 30 recruit, sat on the bench at Duke, transfers here and has been solid since day one.

FH - 90th rated recruit, never played point guard, can't get off of our bench, when he has gotten off the bench he hasn't shown much.

Where do you get that he is a better ball handler, better passer, and has better court vision? Are we watching the same guy? If Howard came in and started playing 30 minutes a game and played like a freshman shooting guard who is playing point guard every single one of the things you mentioned would be wrong. There is not one shred of evidence that Howard being anything you've mentioned. While Kaleb has regressed beyond bad, Kaleb showed more point guard skill his freshman year than Howard has so far.

If Howard could play the point, don't you think he would? Or do you think JB likes being 10-7 and losing to garbage teams...
I think people being optimistic is a good thing, but to me Howard is a question mark. He's made a nice pass or two but overall I have no idea what he will become. His jump shot has been sub par, but I guess when you take like a one a game it's hard to say what it really is. He can bring the ball up without getting it stolen, but is that really a compliment. It's what's expected and he hasn't shown a handle that is better than average. Nothing he has done has blown me away but I'll sit back and wait to see what he becomes without any expectation.

Yeah I'm not sure why there is so much disbelief on this stuff.

I follow the NBA a lot more than college. This year it's a claim that can't be backed up. The only people that think Malachi will go pro this year is a bunch of nervous Syracuse fans.

People forget that he's only had about four good games. Until the ACC he was still shooting 25 percent from three.

The Draft is LOADED this year. Everyone loves Melo Trimble and he isn't projected to go until late first round.

If you guys are that nervous I suggest following Jonathan Givony at Draft Express who is way better and more accurate than Chad Ford.

I follow the NBA a lot more than college. This year it's a claim that can't be backed up. The only people that think Malachi will go pro this year is a bunch of nervous Syracuse fans.

People forget that he's only had about four good games. Until the ACC he was still shooting 25 percent from three.

The Draft is LOADED this year. Everyone loves Melo Trimble and he isn't projected to go until late first round.

If you guys are that nervous I suggest following Jonathan Givony at Draft Express who is way better and more accurate than Chad Ford.

I hadn't considered the others that are out there as well. Thanks for the reminder on that. Maybe there is hope...

The only people that think Malachi will go pro this year is a bunch of nervous Syracuse fans.

I am not nervous. I have just accepted that anybody with NBA potential will leave. Malachi definitely has that, regardless of his three point percentage.

I am not nervous. I have just accepted that anybody with NBA potential will leave. Malachi definitely has that, regardless of his three point percentage.

He Will. It's just not going to be this year.

Lydon is a 3 more than a 5
We'll just have to see next year I guess. I still stand by what I said about Lydon's talent. Remember, he is only a freshman and does things that other big men take years to learn. Give him another 25 pounds and the weight room and you'll have one of the better big men Syracuse has had.

jgeorge322 said:
He most definitely is a pg

I don't think he played PG in HS. I know the one game I saw of his on TV he didn't play PG.

I don't think he played PG in HS. I know the one game I saw of his on TV he didn't play PG.

Howard played PG his senior year. He played PG (and some SG) his senior year after bouncing back from a major knee injury the year before.

He could play in the NBA next year regardless of whom else is out there.

How do you figure? What position would he play and what would his strength be that the NBA doesn't already have a hundred of?

How do you figure? What position would he play and what would his strength be that the NBA doesn't already have a hundred of?
I'm not claiming that he will be a great or unique NBA player. He would play the 2. He seems to drive to the basket with ease, has good court vision, and has a nice shooting stroke. He also has a nice wingspan. Whether he is drafted in the second round or signed off of the street, he could earn an NBA paycheck next year.

Howard played PG his senior year. He played PG (and some SG) his senior year after bouncing back from a major knee injury the year before.

Yeah -- knowing he was recruited to be the tall PG in the SU system he played some point his senior year. But again, he is one of these SG/combo guards that folks think has enough PG savvy to fit in the MCW mold. Right now there is not enough to go by to tell in my opinion.

I'm not claiming that he will be a great or unique NBA player. He would play the 2. He seems to drive to the basket with ease, has good court vision, and has a nice shooting stroke. He also has a nice wingspan. Whether he is drafted in the second round or signed off of the street, he could earn an NBA paycheck next year.

Right, but college basketball players not on anybody's draft radar by mid-season, who haven't had particularly productive seasons to that point, don't go pro just to get drafted in the 2nd round or sign a D-league contract after going undrafted. There is practically no money in the 2nd round (no guaranteed money) and there are very few second rounders cashing paychecks in the NBA.

Are you downgrading Lydon? He is easily the most talented freshman we have next to Mali. In fact, in the long haul, he may be better overall.
Having said that, I can't wait until next year to see the two of them play off each other.

I have very high hopes (and expectations) for new Tyler. without a quality 4/5 beyond what we currently have on the roster, I see TL being forced to play a lot of mins there, which takes him down low and away from being a wing threat. my understanding is that Moyer isn't a light em up from the outside kind of guy either, which is why I would want another body who can defend the wing and help keep the D honest a bit, kinda like a Dirty light.

Right, but college basketball players not on anybody's draft radar by mid-season, who haven't had particularly productive seasons to that point, don't go pro just to get drafted in the 2nd round or sign a D-league contract after going undrafted. There is practically no money in the 2nd round (no guaranteed money) and there are very few second rounders cashing paychecks in the NBA.
Perhaps you are right. I think Malachi's season will get more productive (as it has the last few games) and he will start to appear on somebody's radar.

I think the way Malachi and Lydon play translates very well to the NBA, and that's a big part of the evaluation. Lydon's tentativeness has nearly brought me to the point of feeling comfortable that he's for sure back.

Malachi is really interesting to me. He's a prototype 2 guard, and he's a far better all around player than I expected. I suspect the NBA interest is there, it's just not headlining anything. Malachi's case might be one where it comes down to how his life is going. If he's enjoying being a college basketball player and student and doesn't feel crushed by any real or perceived obligations to provide for other people I think he's likely to be back, and I think he makes a serious run at being the best shooting guard we've had since, well... I can't actually think of one, because everybody that comes to mind I think he'll be better than. Moten, I guess?

I think the way Malachi and Lydon play translates very well to the NBA, and that's a big part of the evaluation. Lydon's tentativeness has nearly brought me to the point of feeling comfortable that he's for sure back.

Malachi is really interesting to me. He's a prototype 2 guard, and he's a far better all around player than I expected. I suspect the NBA interest is there, it's just not headlining anything. Malachi's case might be one where it comes down to how his life is going. If he's enjoying being a college basketball player and student and doesn't feel crushed by any real or perceived obligations to provide for other people I think he's likely to be back, and I think he makes a serious run at being the best shooting guard we've had since, well... I can't actually think of one, because everybody that comes to mind I think he'll be better than. Moten, I guess?

The real question for me is does he have a kid? Seems like once our players get their girls pregnant they decide they need to come out and get paid.

Malachi is the 47th rated freshman according to Draft Express.

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/NCAA-Freshmen/2/

He's 63rd overall according nbadraft.net

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Jamal Murray isn't even expected to go until the high teens or early 20's. The same with Grayson Allen The SG position in this years draft is loaded with NBA talent.

I suppose theoretically he could gamble and go in the second round or possibly go undrafted, or he could stay a year and be a guaranteed first round pick. Zero dollars are guaranteed unless you get chosen in the first round. He could get cut and never get a chance again. Next year everyone has him has a first rounder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom