Diagne | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

Has anything like this happened before to an incoming freshman?

If he's not in the student directory online yet, it means he hasn't matriculated. He wouldn't be on any housing list until he does that, and if he's still out of the country, he might not be able to return his enrollment form to matriculate. Wasn't he scheduled to be coming back on the 19th?
The only information I saw on this was from his host dad that said "early August" for when he'd be back, and that he would be at SU shortly after that. However, that story is over a month old now...

http://www.. . . . . . . . . /college/syracuse/story/1563302-diagne-fully-expects-to-be-on-campus

Just a quick update, I was able to get in touch with Mike Waters who was on vacation for the past week. He had no new information to pass along and said he's waiting to see if the NCAA clears him. So as of now, he has nothing in the works for an article. Just wanted to let you all know we're still somewhat in the dark. :/

Just a quick update, I was able to get in touch with Mike Waters who was on vacation for the past week. He had no new information to pass along and said he's waiting to see if the NCAA clears him. So as of now, he has nothing in the works for an article. Just wanted to let you all know we're still somewhat in the dark. :/
thanks for clarifying

Not talking about the student directory, but rather the residence list for South Campus. All freshman athletes are housed there, and the full list is out for the fall semester. Again, for what that is worth..

I understand. Just saying he wouldn't be on a housing list until he matriculates, and if he does, he'll get added to the list.

Not talking about the student directory, but rather the residence list for South Campus. All freshman athletes are housed there, and the full list is out for the fall semester. Again, for what that is worth..

Probably not a good sign, but if he still isn't listed when the fall semester starts, then it is time to panic.

I agree, Sgt., that he is not here, but that story is old news. He hasn't been here all summer. As you likely know, it's all the guessing about the future that gets me. I can see that it might be fun and helps pass the time, but at 73 I prefer to just sit back and wait. No big deal. I'm about 50/50 guessing through life, and have found it not beneficial. Guess I hate being wrong half the time. Have simply learned to take the "wait and see" route. Not long to wait. No prediction.

But you said that you have a 50/50 success rate when guessing. Then you said you guess that you hate being wrong half time. Given that, there is a 75% chance you'd be right!

This sucks.

Nobody can provide a straight freakin' answer. Coaching staff is mum, reporters haven't found out anything, Diagne's host family isn't being definitive, no news from the NCAA, nothing from the University. What. There's most likely some BS confidentiality laws preventing anybody from leaking information about this, but c'mon. There must be somebody who knows.

Agreed.

HoustonCuse said:
But you said that you have a 50/50 success rate when guessing. Then you said you guess that you hate being wrong half time. Given that, there is a 75% chance you'd be right!

That's good, Houston. Thanks. Guess I'm smarter than I look. But don't start asking me where Diagne is. I hope he gets on campus soon, but my crystal ball is getting cloudier by the day. I do not want to be the first to say "he gone". Hope springs eternal.

Brooky03 said:
August 31st if the the academic calendar I looked at is right.

That's correct.

Has anything like this happened before to an incoming freshman?

I just read that Kobi Eubanks, the freshman at Alabama was ruled ineligible. His teammate, Cheick Diallo-Kansas, has not been cleared yet. Sounds like their high school in New York, Our Savior New American, has had several players with eligibility issues.

Was listening to Axe on the radio today, and he had Mike McCallister on and Axe asked him what the deal was with Diagne, McCallister said that as far as anyone knows that Diange is still in Senegal and that the issue is with the NCAA clearinghouse, also says that by the NCAA dragging their feet they are hurting the students ie Marquise Blair, our football recruit who had to scramble to find a junior college to attend late in the year as they didn't decide his fate till last week. He also says that he hopes a decision on Diagne comes before school starts.

woody44 said:
Was listening to Axe on the radio today, and he had Mike McCallister on and Axe asked him what the deal was with Diagne, McCallister said that as far as anyone knows that Diange is still in Senegal and that the issue is with the NCAA clearinghouse, also says that by the NCAA dragging their feet they are hurting the students ie Marquise Blair, our football recruit who had to scramble to find a junior college to attend late in the year as they didn't decide his fate till last week. He also says that he hopes a decision on Diagne comes before school starts.

Whenever someone says the NCAA is dragging their feet...they're just spitballing.

longtimefan said:
I think someone just hit your avatar with a spitball.;)

Looks like more than that.

Whenever someone says the NCAA is dragging their feet...they're just spitballing.

Yes, because the NCAA dragging its feet is pretty much standard operating procedure over there. It's like saying turtles are slow or grass is green.

Over the last 2-3 years it appears that anything involving Syracuse basketball raises a red flag for the NCAA. I look forward to the day they wither and die a slow death.

Over the last 2-3 years it appears that anything involving Syracuse basketball raises a red flag for the NCAA. I look forward to the day they wither and die a slow death.

It's coming soon.

There was a time a few years ago when I was resistant to the notion that the P5 should break away from the NCAA. I didn't want collegiate athletics to change, for players to be paid, etc. I wanted the pure amateur ideal of what the NCAA allegedly is supposed to stand for. But then I slowly came to realize that the NCAA is big business, and that the "ideal" I was clinging to was from the 1980s, when I was a kid.

Today's NCAA is borderline corrupt.

Mark Emmert has run what was already a floundering organization into the ground.

They are a joke of an enforcement organization / regulatory body.

Their rules are over-architected, unnecessarily complex, and antiquated.

They situationally choose who to enforce the rules against, while complicitly looking the other way while some institutions repeatedly and flagrantly break the rules.

They are the epitome of hypocrisy.

And in the rare instance when they DO enforce the rules, the penalties they hand down are capricious, arbitrary, and lack any connection to precedence.

These days, I look forward to when the NCAA's hypocrisy perishes in flames. I know we need some kind of governing system / body in place to level the playing field, but the NCAA has proven repeatedly that they aren't up to the task.

Last edited:
Hearing he was denied eligibility by the NCAA yesterday due to lack of credited classes on his high school transcript, because some of the classes he took back home in Senegal. Sad day:(

JarHeadJim said:
Hearing he was denied eligibility by the NCAA yesterday due to lack of credited classes on his high school transcript, because some of the classes he took back home in Senegal. Sad day:(

If that's the case, why has this been such a secret?

And again, like the Blair situation, why doesn't SU look more closely at his course load?

Baffling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom