Diagne | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

I don't believe they do it in a vacuum and rely on experts in education.

I know that you have dug your heels in on this one but " rely onexperts in education" --- you have to be kidding!

I know that you have dug your heels in on this one but " rely onexperts in education" --- you have to be kidding!

For whatever reason Bees can't be wrong on this one. No matter how obviously wrong the NCAA is.

Look, I fully understand there's more going on here than we're seeing.

But I don't want to hear about the "education experts." It's not about that. It's about what is or isn't in the NCAA's wheelhouse. You're telling me they couldn't be relying on "education experts" with regard to UNC? They're telling one of their own member schools "you're cool, we don't wanna judge" while at the same time telling a SCHOOL ON A DIFFERENT CONTINENT what is or isn't acceptable education.

But I don't want to hear about the "education experts." It's not about that. It's about what is or isn't in the NCAA's wheelhouse. You're telling me they couldn't be relying on "education experts" with regard to UNC? They're telling one of their own member schools "you're cool, we don't wanna judge" while at the same time telling a SCHOOL ON A DIFFERENT CONTINENT what is or isn't acceptable education.
careful jekelish, that tone is making you look mad

That's the mind boggling part. They are not relying on the objective evidence of his U.S. Grades and curricula. They are applying a subjective lens to a freshman class taught half a world away. And who is this helping? No one!

The part that kills me, is the kid has shown the aptitude since coming to this country. He has been a great student and did well on the standardized tests. He has displayed the capacity to be a college student, far more than some American students, why concentrate on a single class that he had no control over. Do they think he will not do well based on that class when he has shown a tremendous ability to learn in the years since? Where is the logic?

careful jekelish, that tone is making you look mad
network-03072011.jpg

But seriously...I just don't want the NCAA to try to have it both ways. They don't think it's within their jurisdiction to tell a member school what they can or can't have as acceptable courses, but they think they can dictate to a high school in another country, on another continent, whether or not they're ok?

I've never bought that UNC line they had, either. If you want to try to police the initial eligibility, you need to KEEP policing eligibility throughout a student-athlete's career. You just cannot have it both ways.

FairfaxOrange said:
For whatever reason Bees can't be wrong on this one. No matter how obviously wrong the NCAA is.

I'm not wrong cause I haven't really expressed a strong opinion on it. I've basically just posted facts as we know them with there being a lot that we don't know. But I'm doing it without emotion attached.

Rossco123 said:

Hey stranger. How ya been?

I don't believe they do it in a vacuum and rely on experts in education.

That are probably only available at certain times because of meetings and not doing any real work...

This thread sucks. :(
Was really excited for this guy. Great rebounder and he really had an array in the low post. Not sure why a lot of articles still had him "developing". I don't know many bigs that could finish and actually shoot with either hand. It's true. Saw him shoot with his left, foul line range. Obviously not something he's going to do often or ever in a game but if he felt that comfortable, it's easy to see how that could translate 10 feet in when he's being favored to one direction or the other.

I really don't know if he would have or will be a rim protector on this level. But he would have played because we need depth at this spot and I would rather have Tyler and Tyler playing forward exclusively. As others mentioned already, we don't know if he beats out Chino but this spot has to rebound and defend the rim. Every thing else is gravy compared to what Roc did last year. Magic show, the groove he was in.

End Rant? I'm Ron Burgundy?

People have suggested Diagne possibly joining the team in the 2nd semester. One question/point I have about that is IF Diagne is not cleared for the 1st semester, we'll have 10 scholarship players. At that point, won't our scholarship sanctions go into effect for the 2015-16 season, making us unable to give Diagne a scholarship (our 11th) for the 2nd semester??

People have suggested Diagne possibly joining the team in the 2nd semester. One question/point I have about that is IF Diagne is not cleared for the 1st semester, we'll have 10 scholarship players. At that point, won't our scholarship sanctions go into effect for the 2015-16 season, making us unable to give Diagne a scholarship (our 11th) for the 2nd semester??
Conspiracy theory: That's why the NCAA has dragged their feet on this.

The part that kills me, is the kid has shown the aptitude since coming to this country. He has been a great student and did well on the standardized tests. He has displayed the capacity to be a college student, far more than some American students, why concentrate on a single class that he had no control over. Do they think he will not do well based on that class when he has shown a tremendous ability to learn in the years since? Where is the logic?
This^^^
Diagne getting flagged is the equivalent of a straight-A HS student being stopped from getting a diploma, because of a class he took in Middle School.
If it was really about Diagne the student, they'd consider the stellar record he's maintained throughout HS and realize that that one class, from the standpoint of his demonstrated performance and aptitude at the next level, has been rendered totally moot. The death of the NCAA can't come soon enough.
Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Conspiracy theory: That's why the NCAA has dragged their feet on this.

Is it me or does the NCAA actually have it out for Orange basketball? It's like ESPN too. I just get the impression that the people running these organizations really hate Orange basketball. I'm sure it's most likely my normal paranoid delusions popping up.

my only contribution to this thread - memmert@ncaa.org
According to Wiki, Emmert's high school (Fife) had some limitations - hence my email.
Mr. Emmert

The following has come to my attention - Due to its small size, and the breadth of community it must serve, Fife has somewhat limited academic depth. And your organization is questioning a 9th grade course taken in Senegal by a young man who has excelled in U.S. schools for three years - did well on test scores - and is fluent in three languages. Do you understand why people loathe the NCAA?

It is not just you, all the Syracuse alumni I work with are saying the same words, Jimmy B. really must have pissed someone off in the NCAA, maybe the bag doughnuts running the show? Never the less we as fans not only have to deal with latest NCAA rulings or lack there of, but now our beloved Pearl really needs your prayers. Our coach has done more with less so the Orange will be fine, But the pearl may not be the same again, please pray for the best Syracuse orange to ever grace our campus, or wear the uniform,

four seasons in New York, spring , summer, fall and basketball baby!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom