Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year

I don’t have an issue with the 27 people who voted for Dabo. That’s a defensible choice.

I have a biiiiiiiiiiig huuuuuuuuge issue with the 9 clowns who voted for Narduzzi. On what planet is he more deserving than Dino?! Particularly relative to expectations?
Addazio got a vote.

I looked at the list of ACC football coaches of the year:
Atlantic Coast Conference football individual awards - Wikipedia

And the list of ACC football champions:
Atlantic Coast Conference football champions - Wikipedia

Comparing the two, the coach of the year has been the coach of a team that won or shared the title 28 times. it's been the coach of a team that did not win or share the tile 36 times. There seems to have been a turning point in 1982. To that point 18 of the 29 COYs had coached a league champion. Since then in 25 of 35 years the COY has been a coach whose team did not win the title. Bobby Bowden won it only once. George Welch won it four times. So, at least since the 1980's the emphasis has been on coaches who coached lesser teams to more wins than people expected. Somehow this year, they decided to give it to the coach of the best team, a team which everyone thought would be the best.

hmm, who did a better coaching job, the guy who's team was pretty much expected by everyone in America to go 12-0 and went 12-0, or the guy who's team was pretty much expected by everyone in America to go 4-8 but went 9-3. weak. Dazzler getting a vote is even weaker

I agree, it should be DINO, but i think ironically, dabos win over us got him the nod. That was a week of huge transition for his program with Bryant transferring that week and the true freshman taking the reigns.

I hate the old boys network that is the ACC...

We will never get our fair shake in this southern conference. I sit here and watch Bill Belichick get screwed for coach of the year awards every single year because his team only does exactly what it is supposed to do, win with the best players (despite having a salary cap and a level field). This year Alex Cora set every record known to man with the Red Sox, and lost to Bob Melvin because Cora has the best players and Melvin took lesser guys to more unexpected heights.

But the ONE TIME MY guy is the cinderella story, the one time HE gets less touted talent to an amazing level, the old boys network sticks with the blue bloods.

I know there is no going back, but I really hate our company sometimes.

The guys who voted for Narduzzi and Addazio would not have been part of the old boys ACC network. the failure of Boston and Pittsburgh area writers to vote for Babers is a big factor here.

BC was consistently placed in bowls lower than their record would deserve due to their poor fan following; this resulted in being heavily favored in the majority of the bowls they won.

Frankly, that's a big reason why SU went from having a 2-5 Bowl record in the Swartzwalder Era to 13-4-1 since.

Look I know you’re happy because it’s your guy and everything, but it’s a dumb choice and tbh coming on our board to defend it is kind of dumb as well.
You’re right. Just felt like talking football and that’s the story right now. Upcoming game with Pitt doesn’t really move the needle.

I don't think anyone would argue against Dabo having been a fantastic coach over the last several years. He definitely should have won the coach of the year more than he has, like in 2016 over Fuente (8-4) or even 2012 over Cutcliffe (6-7).

Our argument is that Clemson this year was not nearly as difficult of a coaching task as Syracuse. Dabo certainly met Clemson's expectations but I do not think what he accomplished this year is more impressive than what Dino Babers has done. Clemson was a double-digit favorite to win every single game on their schedule this year and their strength of schedule is undeniably weak (I think I saw somewhere today it was rated the lowest in all of the P5), regardless of which source/metric you decide to use. Cuse was predicted to be last in the ACC and also benefitted from a down ACC. Head-to-head Dabo won but by no means was it convincing considering an illegal man downfield on a clinching first down is what allowed Clemson even the opportunity to even get a chance to win.

Clemson has the player of the year, offensive player of the year, and defensive player of the year. Dabo also benefits from having one of the best and most highly sought after coordinators in the entire NCAA. That certainly alleviates some pressure. Everyone wants to praise Dabo for how he handled the quarterback situation and deciding to go with Lawrence, which was obviously a smart move, but he was choosing between two unmistakably very-good-to-great college quarterbacks. There really wasn't a wrong decision considering how easy the schedule was. Dino also had a quasi-quarterback controversy where he made the decisions for when to sub in Devito for Dungey, which directly led to both the UNC and FSU wins (which is being used against Dungey in favor of Lawrence even though him not being started 3 weeks of the season isn't in any way held against Lawrence). I'd argue that Dino's QB moves were more impressive than deciding to stick with a single quarterback the rest of the season, who was the number 1 recruit in the nation.

Dabo is an amazing coach and deserves recognition for it but if the ACC is going to throw COTY awards to average seasons for Fuente, Cutcliffe, and Mike London, I don't see why Dino doesn't get any love. He has been exceptional this year.
You won’t get any argument from me that Syracuse is a way tougher job than Clemson. One of the reasons Clemson is such a good job is Dabo, though. We were merely OK for the 17 years or so before Dabo became HC. So I hate the idea that Dabo’s Coaching performance should be docked for the quality of the players he recruited, and the expectations that he himself built.

Ah...It's fun to be arguing about stuff like this again after all these years... :p

You won’t get any argument from me that Syracuse is a way tougher job than Clemson. One of the reasons Clemson is such a good job is Dabo, though. We were merely OK for the 17 years or so before Dabo became HC. So I hate the idea that Dabo’s Coaching performance should be docked for the quality of the players he recruited, and the expectations that he himself built.
I love Dabo, he is a great coach and a better human being. If he wins the title this year then he deserves national coach of the year. However, Dino Babers is the ACC COY without question...

It shouldn’t be looked as a demerit. He’s built something really amazing. So amazing he’s already won the ACC CoY and the national CoY. Maintaining what he’s built is something worthy of the award.

Our argument is that Dino has Syracuse to a place no one expected and that we’ve never been before (in the ACC).

By rewarding this same type of performance year over year and then using different criteria this year - makes the ACC look bad, IMO.

Frankly, that's a big reason why SU went from having a 2-5 Bowl record in the Swartzwalder Era to 13-4-1 since.

Truth. But I am still not giving you a like for that post. :p

Cheers,
Neil

I was listening to Childers and Neuheisel on ESPNU a bit ago, they were talking about national coach of the year. Monken, Leopold, Kid Killer Kelly were Childers top three, and Neuheisel chimed in adding Heupel and Leach to the mix. no mention of Dino. what the hell is wrong with people??!!

I was listening to Childers and Neuheisel on ESPNU a bit ago, they were talking about national coach of the year. Monken, Leopold, Kid Killer Kelly were Childers top three, and Neuheisel chimed in adding Heupel and Leach to the mix. no mention of Dino. what the hell is wrong with people??!!

Maybe they are afraid of what SU can become. Agendas at work. Kelly will win it as there is the ND factor.

Not sure I understand why it's a big deal clemson fans are coming on our board to discuss this. It shows just as much, that we are back in the mix of good national programs. It's also a football board to have discussion, thought the POV from a Clemson fan was logical from their perspective and not trolling. What more do you want on a message board.

Are there any other awards football players from Carolina can win?

Can they give the Lou Groza award to someone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom