Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year

I don’t have an issue with the 27 people who voted for Dabo. That’s a defensible choice.

I have a biiiiiiiiiiig huuuuuuuuge issue with the 9 clowns who voted for Narduzzi. On what planet is he more deserving than Dino?! Particularly relative to expectations?

I like Dino, and honestly I don't keep up with COTY awards. Came over here because I heard there were some folks upset about Coach Swinney getting the award.

I think Dino is a great coach, I'm a big fan, and could certainly have seen the justification if he'd won. But I will say I'm glad the voters didn't adhere to the old formula of [results] - [preseason expectations] = [success]. That formula never made much sense to me in the first place, because it basically penalizes a great coach who recruits well or has built up a program to the point that it has high expectations, and then meets them.

Eh honestly, besides this board and Clemson's no one is going to care that Babers finished second. Should he have won it, of course but really in the grand scheme it means very little. Extend Dino and win the bowl game I will take that 10 out of 10 times over some coach of the year award. Desko has won the award 3 years running for Lax, trust me he would give them back in a heartbeat for some post-season success instead.
Besides this forum the twitterverse is crazy about it. My TL was full of it all day.

I like Dino, and honestly I don't keep up with COTY awards. Came over here because I heard there were some folks upset about Coach Swinney getting the award.

I think Dino is a great coach, I'm a big fan, and could certainly have seen the justification if he'd won. But I will say I'm glad the voters didn't adhere to the old formula of [results] - [preseason expectations] = [success]. That formula never made much sense to me in the first place, because it basically penalizes a great coach who recruits well or has built up a program to the point that it has high expectations, and then meets them.
So meets expectations > Exceeds expectations.

I don’t have an issue with the 27 people who voted for Dabo. That’s a defensible choice.

I have a biiiiiiiiiiig huuuuuuuuge issue with the 9 clowns who voted for Narduzzi. On what planet is he more deserving than Dino?! Particularly relative to expectations?

I said the same thing. Syracuse was ranked for the first in 17 years. First time in the BCS rankings ever. 9-3 after seasons of 4-8, 4-8, 4-8, 3-9. 6-2 in conference. The only thing we didn't have going for us vs Pitt is that we had Clemson in our division.

Doesn't add up.

So don’t have a vote then. Just give it to the coach if the 1st place team.

DtG7_WJXgAA9est.jpg

Yeah, but the formula shouldn’t be [results] = [best coaching job] either.

Honestly, it’s a close call. I think Dabo did a fantastic job. He made a gutsy call with Lawrence. I just think Dino deserves recognition for the job he’s done. Dabo already won in 2015 for taking his program to new heights. Same old formula worked then, no?

A case could be made that Alton Robinson deserved a whole hell of a lot more votes than 2 lol. He had more TFL and .5 less sacks than the 1st place guy

Can someone explain how and why there are 60 votes. Should be 28. Each HC and one local media.

It’s “coach of the year” not “recruiter of the year” or “coach of the half-decade” or “Dabo of the year.”

Yeah, but the formula shouldn’t be [results] = [best coaching job] either.

Honestly, it’s a close call. I think Dabo did a fantastic job. He made a gutsy call with Lawrence. I just think Dino deserves recognition for the job he’s done. Dabo already won in 2015 for taking his program to new heights. Same old formula worked then, no?
I think so too. Dino is great. Hopefully there’s another awarding organization that’ll give him something.

ACC media tends to be pretty cheesy. For instance, Finley as first team QB... come on. I’m obviously partial to Lawrence but both he and Dungey are way better than Finley.

It’s “coach of the year” not “recruiter of the year” or “coach of the half-decade” or “Dabo of the year.”
No, but is a huge part of the job description of a coach.

Dino would’ve been deserving and I wouldn’t have lost any sleep over him winning it. Just don’t think it reeks of conspiracy is all I’m saying.

No, but is a huge part of the job description of a coach.

Dino would’ve been deserving and I wouldn’t have lost any sleep over him winning it. Just don’t think it reeks of conspiracy is all I’m saying.

Look I know you’re happy because it’s your guy and everything, but it’s a dumb choice and tbh coming on our board to defend it is kind of dumb as well.

In a vacuum no. But how about accounting for “sets expectations”?

I don't think anyone would argue against Dabo having been a fantastic coach over the last several years. He definitely should have won the coach of the year more than he has, like in 2016 over Fuente (8-4) or even 2012 over Cutcliffe (6-7).

Our argument is that Clemson this year was not nearly as difficult of a coaching task as Syracuse. Dabo certainly met Clemson's expectations but I do not think what he accomplished this year is more impressive than what Dino Babers has done. Clemson was a double-digit favorite to win every single game on their schedule this year and their strength of schedule is undeniably weak (I think I saw somewhere today it was rated the lowest in all of the P5), regardless of which source/metric you decide to use. Cuse was predicted to be last in the ACC and also benefitted from a down ACC. Head-to-head Dabo won but by no means was it convincing considering an illegal man downfield on a clinching first down is what allowed Clemson even the opportunity to even get a chance to win.

Clemson has the player of the year, offensive player of the year, and defensive player of the year. Dabo also benefits from having one of the best and most highly sought after coordinators in the entire NCAA. That certainly alleviates some pressure. Everyone wants to praise Dabo for how he handled the quarterback situation and deciding to go with Lawrence, which was obviously a smart move, but he was choosing between two unmistakably very-good-to-great college quarterbacks. There really wasn't a wrong decision considering how easy the schedule was. Dino also had a quasi-quarterback controversy where he made the decisions for when to sub in Devito for Dungey, which directly led to both the UNC and FSU wins (which is being used against Dungey in favor of Lawrence even though him not being started 3 weeks of the season isn't in any way held against Lawrence). I'd argue that Dino's QB moves were more impressive than deciding to stick with a single quarterback the rest of the season, who was the number 1 recruit in the nation.

Dabo is an amazing coach and deserves recognition for it but if the ACC is going to throw COTY awards to average seasons for Fuente, Cutcliffe, and Mike London, I don't see why Dino doesn't get any love. He has been exceptional this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom