Dino is back next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino is back next year

I’ve had some time to calm down and I think the move is to extend Dino 3 years.

Think also factoring in is the overall coaching carousel in play. USC, Florida and LSU need new coaches which causes a cascading impact down the line of open jobs that Syracuse would be competing with for a new coach if we fire Dino. When Liberty is paying $4 million a year for a coach, you know the cost of doing business is going up exponentially and to compete against similar P5 schools with more success this cycle is not ideal. The underlying hope in keeping Dino right now is that he precludes a mass exodus of talent via the transfer portal. Figure if he is fired then players like Tucker and Chestnut put themselves in the portal.

That said, I expect the change in coaches comes next year here unless Dino truly fixes the QB position. Need to find a mobile QB who can consistently hit WRs in their routes. Schrader for the first time since the Albany game completed more than 60% of his passes yesterday. He is the 123 ranked QB for completion percentage which That is not acceptable for a D1 QB and honestly I don't see it getting much better because if there was accuracy in Schrader's game, he isn't moved to WR at MSU by Mike Leach (can say a lot of things about Leach but one thing he knows how to do is develop successful D1 level passers).

What I am fearful of with keeping Dino is do we see Tony white poached by a top D1 program due to both money and job security here based on being tied to Dino
You don't know what you are talking about. GS is NOT the problem! Dino/Gilbert are the problem. They both are well below average coaches and that is so apparent. No need to blame ANY player for these failures. It has been the offensive issues since Dino's been head coach. If not for Dungey saving Dino's job he would have been gone a long time ago.

You don't know what you are talking about. GS is NOT the problem! Dino/Gilbert are the problem. They both are well below average coaches and that is so apparent. No need to blame ANY player for these failures. It has been the offensive issues since Dino's been head coach. If not for Dungey saving Dino's job he would have been gone a long time ago
GS can’t throw. Period. Find the best thrower on the team. He should be the guy next year. GS is a good change up

Last edited:
I don’t believe anything I read here

Maryland Mole, Etc. People are told what they are told. I don’t think anyone knows anything
The Maryland Mole was dead nuts on with just about everything. Go back and look.

GS can’t throw. Period. Find the best thrower on the team. He should be the guy next year. HS is a good change up
You are wrong again. He can throw and proved it yesterday. However, Dino's system is so bad and Gilbert can only handle a total of 6 unscripted plays that NO quarterback could thrive in this system. That is why only one of 6 QBs under DB was successful. And Dungey did that in spite of Dino.

You are wrong again. He can throw and proved it yesterday. However, Dino's system is so bad and Gilbert can only handle a total of 6 unscripted plays that NO quarterback could thrive in this system. That is why only one of 6 QBs under DB was successful. And Dungey did that in spite of Dino.
Eric improvised a lot out of broken plays. The Notre Game proved that Dino has no clue on how to run an offense without a Q B who will make something out of a bad play.

Summary of the long text wall:What does dino need to do next year to be extended.

I think the question becomes if you keep Dino for next year what is the requirement to get a contract extension? Is 6-6 enough to extend him 3 more years? You can’t give a one year extension cause that just keeps him on the hot seat and 2 years doesn’t do anything to give recruits confidence he will stay. Is 5-7 good enough again? What is the minimum to consider it a good year. To me that’s a question that has to be answered. If a 6-6 year isn’t good enough then there is no reason to keep him next year imo because he has only hit that mark 1 year out of 6 which means there is a greater chance you have to fire him after the next year then extend him.

Beat ND = 10 year extension

Dino going to ride or die with Gilbert? I wouldn't.

Dino going to ride or die with Gilbert? I wouldn't.
It’s like doing a cross country trip in a beat up junker without an oil change

Reactions: FAL
No he can’t. Just because I landed a 3 wood on the green from 220 yards doesn’t meant I am a good striker of the golf ball. I can, on occasion, hit one really well, but usually, I’m pretty poor. I have, on occasion, had good rounds, but am usually 90+.
He is a 53% passer. Doing it well only occasionally proves the point.

Worried about QB and WR.

Dino is a good coach. This is a bad year to hire someone there are blue bloods that appear to be losing the game of musical chairs.

You think we are winning 6 games with much more difficult schedule? Talk about lame duck coach/season

We switch for...

Purdue instead of Liberty
ND instead of Rutgers
Virginia instead of VA tech ( Tech is going bowling & fired their coach)
Virginia Tech has higher standard. They are like us before 2,000. Now we are just waiting days pass by. Anything not too bad is OK.

Let’s rewind three months. Experts forecast said 3.5 wins. Wildhack said expectations were to return to playing competitive football. Virtually everyone on this forum said just getting to a bowl would be a great accomplishment.
Look. The last month has been a killer. But this team was literally one play from getting to a bowl. Took Wake Forest to overtime. Played FSU and Clemson to the last snap. And list to Rutgers due to some of the most egregious calls I have seen from officiating in over 50 years as a fan.
There are no style points in football. If you want that, go watch figure skating. Team fulfilled the minimum requirements set by the AD, and that combined with the financial realities that a buyout would present assure that Dino will be at the helm when spring practice starts in 3 months.

All that being said, the seat is definitely hot in 2022. And the road is not an easy one. Need a complete rebuild of the D line, need to take a hard, honest look at the QB situation, need to uncover an impact WR. I line was greatly improved IMO, but injuries took a significant toll. I know the staff is very high on some of the young kids and feels they are the verge of contributing so I am more optimistic there.
Time for Dino to do an honest staff assessment and hit the portal quickly to get some potential answers here for the spring semester. I am in for one more year, but will join the critics if we are still having these discussions in 12 months.
Go Orange!
Above Dino’s head, IMHO. Good post.

Let’s rewind three months. Experts forecast said 3.5 wins. Wildhack said expectations were to return to playing competitive football. Virtually everyone on this forum said just getting to a bowl would be a great accomplishment.
Look. The last month has been a killer. But this team was literally one play from getting to a bowl. Took Wake Forest to overtime. Played FSU and Clemson to the last snap. And list to Rutgers due to some of the most egregious calls I have seen from officiating in over 50 years as a fan.
There are no style points in football. If you want that, go watch figure skating. Team fulfilled the minimum requirements set by the AD, and that combined with the financial realities that a buyout would present assure that Dino will be at the helm when spring practice starts in 3 months.

All that being said, the seat is definitely hot in 2022. And the road is not an easy one. Need a complete rebuild of the D line, need to take a hard, honest look at the QB situation, need to uncover an impact WR. I line was greatly improved IMO, but injuries took a significant toll. I know the staff is very high on some of the young kids and feels they are the verge of contributing so I am more optimistic there.
Time for Dino to do an honest staff assessment and hit the portal quickly to get some potential answers here for the spring semester. I am in for one more year, but will join the critics if we are still having these discussions in 12 months.
Go Orange!
100% agree, my thoughts almost to the letter !

Ivin Jasper would make an interesting OC candidate. Recently removed as OC at Navy after many successful seasons directing the Middie option offense. Hawaii grad

Ivin Jasper from Navy would make an interesting OC candidate. Recently removed as OC at Navy after many successful seasons directing the Navy option offense. Hawaii grad
Triple option in the dome ?

The Maryland Mole was dead nuts on with just about everything. Go back and look.
Until the part where we didn’t get invited to the ACC in 2003.

He was feeding good info until the story changed.

My point is information is fluid. I don’t take anything at face value bc tomorrow it can change.

I won’t believe Dino is back until after tomorrow. He may wake up and think “I don’t need this crap anymore”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom