Dino's Media Day Presser | 11 AM | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Media Day Presser | 11 AM

Apologies if I missed it, but have they announced a practice schedule yet?

1690937201039.jpeg

We are supposedly a top communications school but year after year sport videos you want to watch have faulty if any audio
Embarrassing, unless it is my failing hearing!

A tradition like no other - the board loving to extoll Newhouse without having any understanding of what is on the curriculum.
I would hope one of these classes could help with the audience hearing content.

TRF 205
Sight, Sound and Motion
Study and practice of the aesthetic structures and production processes involved in creating effective motion picture, television and sound content.

BDJ 312 Audio and Digital News Writing, Reporting and Producing (Pre-req: JNL 211; Co-req: VIS 261)

VIS 261 Videography for Broadcast Journalism (Pre-req: VIS 251; Co-req: BDJ 312)

BDJ 342 Television and Digital News Reporting (Pre-req: BDJ 312 and VIS 261)

BDJ 465 TV & Digital News Producing and Presenting (Pre-req: BDJ 342 or BDJ 464, senior standing)

a HS Audio/Visual course knows that people need to hear both sides of the conversation..

Honestly, how many people are in that room asking questions? 10-20? give them all mics and have at it if thats the only way it will work.

I would hope one of these classes could help with the audience hearing content.

TRF 205
Sight, Sound and Motion
Study and practice of the aesthetic structures and production processes involved in creating effective motion picture, television and sound content.

BDJ 312 Audio and Digital News Writing, Reporting and Producing (Pre-req: JNL 211; Co-req: VIS 261)

VIS 261 Videography for Broadcast Journalism (Pre-req: VIS 251; Co-req: BDJ 312)

BDJ 342 Television and Digital News Reporting (Pre-req: BDJ 312 and VIS 261)

BDJ 465 TV & Digital News Producing and Presenting (Pre-req: BDJ 342 or BDJ 464, senior standing)
Sorry, this is sad.

I TA'ed for 312, 342, and 465 when I was a grad student. They're all focused on training students to be reporters and producers (that is, writing and decision-making). 205 and 261 are building block classes - how to work a camera, how to use the editing equipment, storytelling basics.

On top of that, you're assuming both that Newhouse grads stick around to work for the Athletic Department and that the priority of the press conferences are for audience consumption and not what they actually are, which is a chance for the media to get quotes from Babers and the players.

Slightly more complicated than that, but none of you actually care - you just like to complain.
Its not really that complicated.. How do all these locals who DJ for weddings with no background get it all done.. Now sure you can do really complicated things with this stuff.. But we are just wanting the basics to work.

I heard the real issue is the microphone was on the new dome 5G wifi network and the video was on the new cell phone network..

I drove by yesterday to get my haircut at Nick & Joeys. Manley/Lally is under heavy construction with much of the old office building between The Melo Center and Manley being demolished. I assume that is what is driving the terrible audio conditions.

Last edited:
Its not really that complicated.. How do all these locals who DJ for weddings with no background get it all done.. Now sure you can do really complicated things with this stuff.. But we are just wanting the basics to work.

I heard the real issue is the microphone was on the new dome 5G wifi network and the video was on the new cell phone network..
I used to DJ weddings. Set up / take down is a PITA, even when you're efficient at it.

If they're doing construction in the room, that means there's a lot of dust, so any audio equipment that lives in that room has been removed - speakers, routing boxes, etc.

If they had the room for an hour before the presser, that means prioritizing set up for Dino's microphone and making sure the set up for routing sound off of the podium and into the feed camera works and also making sure the space is physically set up the way they want it.

Also, there's probably like 15 members of the media there, so it's not like there's 100 people that absorb sound and are talking quietly.

In short, it's not worth anyone's time to do extra work so 20 people on a message board don't have something to complain about for 15 seconds.

I drove by yesterday to get my haircut at Nick & Joeys. Manley/Lally is under heavy construction with much of the old office building between The Melo Center and Manley being demolished. I assume that is what is driving the terrible audio conditions.
Is that the Nick who used to work on Erie?

Sorry, this is sad.

I TA'ed for 312, 342, and 465 when I was a grad student. They're all focused on training students to be reporters and producers (that is, writing and decision-making). 205 and 261 are building block classes - how to work a camera, how to use the editing equipment, storytelling basics.

On top of that, you're assuming both that Newhouse grads stick around to work for the Athletic Department and that the priority of the press conferences are for audience consumption and not what they actually are, which is a chance for the media to get quotes from Babers and the players.
I was actually thinking the professionals teaching could lend a hand.

Definitely respect that this is your profession and I’m an outsider, but I disagree with you. Once it is streaming it now needs to be focused for the viewer. If this were behind closed doors, sure, then it can be for reporters to then report to the audience.

Let me try an analogy. The best culinary school in the country started to sell hamburgers on campus. The hamburgers stink, people hate them. People wonder why the best culinary school can’t produce a good hamburger.

There should be a higher standard set for a school that specializes in the deliverable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom