Dion skips national anthem b/c he's Muslim? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dion skips national anthem b/c he's Muslim?

200.gif

Hoops season better be a good one and get here soon.. my word...

Dr Zoo's (holiday inn phd) prescription: Stop stressing on the football team, stop worrying about rumors that will be forgotten soon and start following our kickass number 1 ranked SU soccer team!! Glasses half full folks!

And if all fails... grab a snickers. This thread is Diva city

Dead wrong...they sure do. Hell, they play God save the Queen for NFL games at Wembley

Source or link?

I've never seen in before an EPL game, ever.
Yes for the FA Cup, but that's different

Source or link?

I've never seen in before an EPL game, ever.
Yes for the FA Cup, but that's different
Apparently you are correct...just for FA Cup matches. Odd because I swear I saw God save the Queen played in the US for a Chelsea friendly against a Mexican league team.

Apparently you are correct...just for FA Cup matches. Odd because I swear I saw God save the Queen played in the US for a Chelsea friendly against a Mexican league team.

I bet you did see it. Brits following US customs on US soil.

I suppose we should then ban Jehovah's Witnesses from playing in the NBA. Some religious traditions within Christianity and beyond do not allow for any expression of allegiance to anything but God. This is protected by the 1st amendment.

Liberty allows for dissent. When we sing, "Land of the free?" do we mean it?
Land of the few, home of the stupid

I really hope this story is not true. I hope he isn't that big of a knucklehead to pull such a thing because it will not end well for his career. The NBA doesn't need it, the Cavs don't need it and he doesn't need to piss off the vast majority of fans and NBA execs.

I don't mind the national anthem, I love the United States, but it is a free country and if somebody doesn't want to observe it, it may not be politically correct but it is a right as a citizen here not to do it.

I don't say the pledge of allegiance because of my religion (or lack thereof). Does this make me unAmerican? Why or why not?
Not able to just skip over the "under God" part and pick up on the other side.

I don't get it.
Putting aside whatever personal feelings one has about this kinda thing, Dion has, unequivocally it seems, DENIED the story and stated it wasn't the case.
So...why are folks still posting as though the original story was gospel? Or that media slanting a story for greatest shock value to them, is somehow unheard of?
The man has denied it. Shouldn't that be enough? :noidea:

It's beautiful. Big Marvin Gaye fan to begin with, but it doesn't matter. So much passion and energy in that voice, it's amazing.
Yes and I believe it was only a year later we lost him Way too soon.

Why are we playing the national anthem before sporting events? What do the two have to do with each other? How many guys playing aren't even from this country?
Actually, you raise a good question.
It's a vestige of WWI...before the song was even our national anthem.
My dad, a WWII vet of the Army Air Corps., thought it was silly and even somewhat disrespectful to play it before sporting events...people playing games.
His opinion seems bolstered by some of the awful modern renditions and the habit of people applauding before the song is close to being over.

I don't get it.
Putting aside whatever personal feelings one has about this kinda thing, Dion has, unequivocally it seems, DENIED the story and stated it wasn't the case.
So...why are folks still posting as though the original story was gospel? Or that media slanting a story for greatest shock value to them, is somehow unheard of?

Hey man, we're SU fans. We don't believe it even when we see it because we always get screwed over. Hell, we're even worried they're gonna take 2003 away from us! ;)

Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, AKA Chris Jackson. And that stunt didn't help his image or his career.

If you're a Muslim, great. Good for you. If you are American, and you live in this country that gives you the freedom to practice your religion as you see fit, it's a gift. If you have a political problem with something...great, it's your right to protest that in this country. But don't be surprised when other people hate on you when you decide to do something stupid like refuse to stand or take part in the National Anthem. There are consequences. Best not to generalize and alienate the entire nation because you have a problem with one or two government policies, which is usually why people do dumb like this.

I dont know if it's true. But...Dion, you may be Muslim, but you have a job. And part of that job is to stand with your team for the National Anthem of your country. You don't see hockey players in Canada pull this crap. Pray BEFORE the game. I'm sure God isn't going to care if you do it 15 minutes early. This isn't about religion. It's usually about politics when people do things like this.

Baye is Muslim and always has been, yet he stood respectfully every game during the national anthem. Ironic isn't it, how these two different personalities , Baye and Dion, interpret the same religion in such contrary ways. It sure seems to me to be a reflection of their personalities rather than anything having to do with religion.

I doubt Dion would ever do that, but either way its absolutely disrespectful to refuse to take part in the national anthem. Have pride in your country or Adios.

Go Cuse

I don't get it.
Not in this case.

Take a look a the original Cleveland Plain Dealer story.
It's from the Cavs' beat writer:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/11/dion_waiters_informs_neomg_tha.html#incart_most-read

It has the ring of truth to it.
And Dion's tweets don't. Not for me, anyway.
I'm guessing Dion got a phone call from his agent after the first story appeared.

Unlikely the Cavs beat writer is going to invent a story.
Unlikely he'd make up quotes.
Yes, I know from firsthand experience newspaper guys do make up quotes and even entire scenarios.
But I doubt very strongly that happened here.

Baye is Muslim and always has been, yet he stood respectfully every game during the national anthem. Ironic isn't it, how these two different personalities , Baye and Dion, interpret the same religion in such contrary ways. It sure seems to me to be a reflection of their personalities rather than anything having to do with religion.

Islam is no more a monolith than is Christianity. There are many different expressions within Islam. Within Christianity, some evangelicals drape themselves in the American flags, other traditions don't allow the flag in their sanctuaries, and Jehovah's Witnesses won't pledge allegiance to the flag or sing the anthem.

Having said all that, your point may be still accurate. This may be more about personality than anything else.

My guess is that Dion isn't going to miss another national anthem anytime soon.