Dion skips national anthem b/c he's Muslim? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dion skips national anthem b/c he's Muslim?

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/08/19/work-or-welfare-what-pays-more/
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2009/03/the_farce_of_global_warming.html
By the way, people who don't approve of homos e xuality are not necessarily afraid of homos e xuals. I hate the term homophobic. Its a made up word that has nothing to do with the issues.

If this were the off topic board, I would say homophobia is very real. Hatred of homosexuals is very real, and that hatred stems from fear. But this is the basketball board, so I won't say it.

He won't stand for out anthem yet his only contribution to society(himself) is collecting money for entertaining Americans by playing a game that was invented in the USA.
Perhaps he would be more comfortable with his conscience and faith if he were being paid to entertain the citizens of an Islamist state or maybe the $$$ helps him selectively overlook some of our flaws in this country.
Didn't a Canadian invent basketball? Could be wrong, Not that it matters really. Just curious because people here say we did and I am rather skeptical lol

Anyways, What a jerk move by Dion...

A new website called Wikipedia came out recently that allows you to answer that question in 5 seconds.
"james Naismith was a Canadian American"

Like I didn't check that before :rolleyes:. One website says one thing the other vice-versa. Sorry for asking, didn't know it would bug someone that much.

Like I didn't check that before :rolleyes:. One website says one thing the other vice-versa. Sorry for asking, didn't know it would bug someone that much.

Just teasing you. :)

Didn't a Canadian invent basketball? Could be wrong, Not that it matters really. Just curious because people here say we did and I am rather skeptical lol

Anyways, What a jerk move by Dion...
We are both correct. It was invented in the USA by a Canadian citizen who became an American citizen in 1925.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/James_Naismith.aspx

Somewhere Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf is shaking his head.

Last edited:
If Dion joins ISIS, he'll be the best head-chopper they ever had, (in his own head).

I have no problem with the national anthem being played before games. I'm tried of "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch. Let's give that back to baseball and sing "Take Me Out to the Ball game".

LeBron better watch out if he plans to make Dion the fall guy

OttoMets said:
To be more accurate, Waiters knows what he did wasn't well received. I don't get the sense that he ever knows he's done something that isn't right. The kid is totally oblivious.

Just my opinion but I think the realty might be he was pissed about not starting and skipped the announcement of the starting lineups. Skipping the anthem and his religion stuff was just the excuse he used.

Just my opinion but I think the realty might be he was pissed about not starting and skipped the announcement of the starting lineups. Skipping the anthem and his religion stuff was just the excuse he used.

Could very well be. Dion REALLY needs to grow up. I am frankly tired of seeing his actions defended by various rubes on this board as well. Jason Lloyd, a very well-respected Cavs beat writer for the Akron Beacon Journal, pointed out recently that Dion last year mysteriously went home and disappeared for a few days claiming to be sick immediately after finding out that he was going to come off the bench when the Cavs made that move. LBJ after the DEN game said that Dion's best fit for their particular team is coming off the bench. Now this re: coming off the bench. This latest idiotic maneuver isn't going to help his trade value.

Dion's not playing tonight against Nawlins. They're saying it's a "lower back contusion." I hear it's because its Veterans Day Eve. Just sayin'...

Dion's not playing tonight against Nawlins. They're saying it's a "lower back contusion." I hear it's because its Veterans Day Eve. Just sayin'...

After the way he landed from that Darrell Arthur cheap shot, I'm not surprised at all.

skurey said:
It just seems arbitrary as to when it is played. There are more issues I have with it but enough people don't like me on here already :p

Yeah, you're definitely not going to make many friends with your stance on this topic. You're probably one of those guys who eats and talks during the anthem.
But, lots of us have served and many have died for people to be dbags if they want to. Enjoy your freedom this Veteran's Day.

Yeah, you're definitely not going to make many friends with your stance on this topic. You're probably one of those guys who eats and talks during the anthem.
But, lots of us have served and many have died for people to be dbags if they want to. Enjoy your freedom this Veteran's Day.

Sounds like you served for the wrong reasons.

There you go, we can have a difference of opinion without resorting to name calling. That is what makes this country great, not a song.

This country(and MANY others) grant folks liberties we often take for granted, and often abuse. One of these liberties is to not partake of certain traditions, many of which those who participate in often don't fully understand the reasons behind, let alone the implications. We also have the right to all of our various theories, even if some of them wrongly(or "rightfully", but not out of necessity) hurt their targets. The First Amendment guarantees freedom of expression, especially when that expression is link to a person's innermost beliefs. Some of you may remember recently electing a President who didn't put his hand over his heart. It wasn't to do with his name, just ask the families of the victims in the middle east. People seem to like simple answers rather than finding the truth.

A great deal of ignorance is shown when people state that Dion has to practice his faith the same way as Baye, even if they were part of the same sect. There are at least 1.5 BILLION Muslims in the world, and some of you expect them all to interpret their faith the same? Do you recall a large part of the reason this nation was founded was for individuals to have the liberty to practice their beliefs as they saw fit? You know, some parts of Christianity that were totally incompatible with others? Even once in America, wasn't some fellow shunned(I love that word) for making a Maypole and having merriment? Speaking of traditions, hasn't it long been custom to list God in front of Country here in the US?

I don't know why Dion did what he did, and I honestly don't care. If he did it for the stated reasons, I'd have a lot more respect for him than I ever did before. I am not a Muslim, but I had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness, and other than the pledge thing, I wouldn't have probably known otherwise. Daily people are killed behind the "pop" patriotism our media has been propagating, and the birthrights our Constitution was created to protect are dying at an alarming rate as well. Government doesn't grant liberties, it can only take them away.

Anyone who has read the Constitution should know our Founding Fathers would fully support what Dion did for any reason, and depending on those reasons, some would likely be proud that he isn't part of the crop of mindless robots that inhabit this society. With freedom comes responsibility. The majority of Americans have shirked their patriotic responsibilities to honor our liberties and sit on the sidelines of the battlefield and watch them slip away, and don't seem to mind when they don't think the rights being lost will effect them. This thread is more about personal pride, finding a way to feel superior to others, for doing something of little important consequence. Possibly take a moment to reflect upon that rather than letting your personal preferences cloud your understanding of of why this is significant.

Last edited:
I find it ironic that those offended when others don't assign the same meaning and significance to things like the national anthem, pledge, and the flag are often the same crowd to dismiss the idea of words like "Redskins" being offensive.

Meaning is not inherent in words, songs, or objects. Meaning is socially determined. Should we be offended when others don't assign the same meaning to something?

Let's get back to Dion and save the politics and Americana or lack thereof for another board. Considering Dion is backtracking now saying the media is making up things, denying he has been on Twitter the past month; it is looking more and more that he is just making up things to aid in his now documented pouting performances after a benching verdict from the Cavs. Oh Dion...sigh. Not good. So asinine, really.

I would just say that the occasion if playing the national anthem is an occasion for people to express what they think about this country and failure to stand at attention and remain silent is at least honest if a person has a problem with this country or the policies of it's government. It's more honest than avoiding controversy by standing at attention when you are upset about something. But if you take the step of using it as an occasion for protest, you've got to be prepared for the resulting criticism. In fact, the controversy should give you the opportunity to express your concerns. of course, if you are using a stance to cover-up simple tardiness, you ar enot going to have anything to say about any real issue. if you are protesting something, let's hear about it.