Dion's in a Good Place | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's in a Good Place

Was this his drive to put OKC on top early in the fourth Q? That was pretty.

This was the last shot for OKC. That drive in the 4th was very nice, but some of his long jumpers early in the shot clock need to be eliminated. I hope he can shape his game to work with Westbrook/Durant, but he's got to take his shots in the flow of the offense.

Saw the bad dion last night for sure. With that said is there a team in the league who has a more obvious gameplan than okc late in games. They won but were totally predictable and had to hit some really tough shots. Beyond setting screens and standing around there was little for anyone not named durant or westbrook to do. With all that said i was watching dion closely on d and despite his bad side showing at times on O he was fighting relentlessly vs Beal and did a very nice job shutting him down from late in the 4th through OT. He fought through every screen and even took a nice angle defending wall. It was clear his defense was what had him out there till the end and that is a good sign for him. As a strong physical defender and streaky offensive player there is certainly a role for him.

Saw the bad dion last night for sure. With that said is there a team in the league who has a more obvious gameplan than okc late in games. They won but were totally predictable and had to hit some really tough shots. Beyond setting screens and standing around there was little for anyone not named durant or westbrook to do. With all that said i was watching dion closely on d and despite his bad side showing at times on O he was fighting relentlessly vs Beal and did a very nice job shutting him down from late in the 4th through OT. He fought through every screen and even took a nice angle defending wall. It was clear his defense was what had him out there till the end and that is a good sign for him. As a strong physical defender and streaky offensive player there is certainly a role for him.
This is Dion in a nutshell. His 2 biggest issues are his offensive inconsistency and his "personality".
Dion is/was/can't/won't be anything less than confident.
I remember once where JB laughed when asked about Dion "losing his confidence". Paraphrasing: "In no way is Dion Waiters ever gonna lose his confidence". The thought of that happening was like a joke to him!
I remember folks on this board saying that if Brandon Triche or Kris Joseph had half the swag of Dion, they'd be All-Americans.
Dion wants to be and thinks he's the Alpha- no matter where or w/ whom he's playing. He's young, brash, and truly believes he's much better than he actually is. This can be both a blessing and a curse, especially if he doesn't get it under control.
I think he'll be fine, but the microphone seems to find him and he's a great quote...so his NBA saga is far from over.

I cringed when he finally got the ball near the end of the game and immediately jacked up a three about 5 seconds into the shot clock.

Saw this and went, "Oh no. He's never getting the ball at crunch time again." He may not play in crunch time.

OKC needs every win they can get just to make the playoffs after the injuries early in the year. Dion's decision making is not exactly helpful.

Saw this and went, "Oh no. He's never getting the ball at crunch time again." He may not play in crunch time.

OKC needs every win they can get just to make the playoffs after the injuries early in the year. Dion's decision making is not exactly helpful.

Did you see the look Westbrook gave him after the Wizards went back the other way and immediately scored?

Ahhhh, false confidence in JR. As a Knicks fan, I know it well.
No doubt, but look at Shumpert last night. First night back, limited to 10 minutes due to recovery schedule: 3 of 3, including 2 treys. 2 boards, 2 assists. When JR's hot, you give him the ball. If not, they have the luxury of sitting him. Even though he has a $6.5MM player option next year, he thinks he's worth more, so very motivated.

No doubt, but look at Shumpert last night. First night back, limited to 10 minutes due to recovery schedule: 3 of 3, including 2 treys. 2 boards, 2 assists. When JR's hot, you give him the ball. If not, they have the luxury of sitting him. Even though he has a $6.5MM player option next year, he thinks he's worth more, so very motivated.

If any team locks him up in a long term deal worth more than 6.5 mil per year, that GM should be fired on the spot. Maybe even executed.

If any team locks him up in a long term deal worth more than 6.5 mil per year, that GM should be fired on the spot. Maybe even executed.
JR is probably the only person on the planet who thinks he's worth more. Maybe his mother too.

Shump was awful for NY, so overrated, but he could def be someone a change of scenery helps. JR will be amazing some nights and then so, so bad for a week. Knicks fans wanted him gone because of his price tag and also him totally falling off the map in the playoffs.

I haven't watched much Cleveland lately, is JR staying away from his "A pimp named step back" title?

Flipping Dion and a pick essentially for JR/Shump/Mozgov was a fantastic move.

I think the East comes down to Atlanta and Cleveland.

This is from a Cleveland sports reporters article today:
Smith and Shumpert were with the Knicks, who have the worst record in the East and no hope of quick improvement. They viewed the trade as a season-saving deal for them.
And Waiters was traded to Oklahoma City. So the one player who wanted out was traded -- and three guys who wanted to come were imported.
Blatt has praised all three new players for making it easy for the coaches. They want to fit in.
Smith has made a huge impact. He has surprised the coaches with his dedication to defense and his understanding of when to double-team -- and when it's best to stay with his man.
Smith also is a fearless long-range shooter. He entered the weekend averaging 14.6 points and shooting 42 percent. Unlike Waiters who likes to dribble the ball, Smith either quickly shoots it or passes it. He will take some awful shots, but he also can change a game by being sizzling hot from the outside.
Smith has had some legal problems off the court. Before the deal was made, the front office talked to Irving and James, two players who know him. Both urged the team to make the trade.
The feeling was that Smith tends to play very well when he's on a good team. In 2012-13, he was the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year averaging 18 points for the 54-28 Knicks. He also had some very strong seasons with Denver when George Karl had the Nuggets in the playoffs.
Smith has already made an impact.
Shooting guard Shumpert returned Friday after missing five weeks with a shoulder injury. The Cavs may give him a chance to play some backup point guard.

This is from a Cleveland sports reporters article today:
Smith and Shumpert were with the Knicks, who have the worst record in the East and no hope of quick improvement. They viewed the trade as a season-saving deal for them.
And Waiters was traded to Oklahoma City. So the one player who wanted out was traded -- and three guys who wanted to come were imported.
Blatt has praised all three new players for making it easy for the coaches. They want to fit in.
Smith has made a huge impact. He has surprised the coaches with his dedication to defense and his understanding of when to double-team -- and when it's best to stay with his man.
Smith also is a fearless long-range shooter. He entered the weekend averaging 14.6 points and shooting 42 percent. Unlike Waiters who likes to dribble the ball, Smith either quickly shoots it or passes it. He will take some awful shots, but he also can change a game by being sizzling hot from the outside.
Smith has had some legal problems off the court. Before the deal was made, the front office talked to Irving and James, two players who know him. Both urged the team to make the trade.
The feeling was that Smith tends to play very well when he's on a good team. In 2012-13, he was the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year averaging 18 points for the 54-28 Knicks. He also had some very strong seasons with Denver when George Karl had the Nuggets in the playoffs.
Smith has already made an impact.
Shooting guard Shumpert returned Friday after missing five weeks with a shoulder injury. The Cavs may give him a chance to play some backup point guard.
I don't get the "season saving" comment though. JR was reportedly upset he got traded. Probably for reasons off the court, but still, he wasn't happy about it.

Shump was awful for NY, so overrated, but he could def be someone a change of scenery helps. JR will be amazing some nights and then so, so bad for a week. Knicks fans wanted him gone because of his price tag and also him totally falling off the map in the playoffs.

I haven't watched much Cleveland lately, is JR staying away from his "A pimp named step back" title?

Flipping Dion and a pick essentially for JR/Shump/Mozgov was a fantastic move.

I think the East comes down to Atlanta and Cleveland.
The Cavs are a far different team since LeBron came back, Dion left, and JR, Shumpert and Mozgov arrived. Mozgov, so far, looks like a great get. I was not thrilled when the Cavs picked up JR and disappointed things didn't work out for Dion, but, so far, JR is an upgrade.

Really looking forward to OKC playing the Cavs in Cleveland tomorrow afternoon. I'd imagine at least some of the Cavs read Dion's statements the other day about how it's so great to be in OKC 'cause he actually gets to touch the ball, despite stats that showed he got more touches with the Cavs.

Wonder if Dion still feels that way. He wasn't getting many touches last night and he again threw up some bad, bad shots. Durant and Westbrook like to get theirs, Westbrook in particular does not seem to be looking to share the rock with Dion.

The Cavs are a far different team since LeBron came back, Dion left, and JR, Shumpert and Mozgov arrived. Mozgov, so far, looks like a great get. I was not thrilled when the Cavs picked up JR and disappointed things didn't work out for Dion, but, so far, JR is an upgrade.

Really looking forward to OKC playing the Cavs in Cleveland tomorrow afternoon. I'd imagine at least some of the Cavs read Dion's statements the other day about how it's so great to be in OKC 'cause he actually gets to touch the ball, despite stats that showed he got more touches with the Cavs.

Wonder if Dion still feels that way. He wasn't getting many touches last night and he again threw up some bad, bad shots. Durant and Westbrook like to get theirs, Westbrook in particular does not seem to be looking to share the rock with Dion.
Westbrook is almost ridiculous in his non-passing. He literally doesn't pass, it's crazy.

Westbrook is almost ridiculous in his non-passing. He literally doesn't pass, it's crazy.
And, yet, he's averaging 7.6 assists a game and had 11 last night. But I saw him more than once come down the court, look over at Dion, look away, and shoot.

And, yet, he's averaging 7.6 assists a game and had 11 last night. But I saw him more than once come down the court, look over at Dion, look away, and shoot.
He also has the ball every play. Obviously he passes but Westbrook is the ultimate bad shot taker...FYI, I'm a huge Westbrook fan.

He also has the ball every play. Obviously he passes but Westbrook is the ultimate bad shot taker...FYI, I'm a huge Westbrook fan.
Big Russell fan, too, but he does take a lotta shots, and a lotta bad ones. I actually thought OKC was better off when he was hurt a year or two ago and Reggie Jackson took his spot. I'll go as so far to say Durant, for all his great makes, takes a s**tload of bad shots.
Hate to say it 'cause I really liked Dion at 'Cuse and have been pulling for him since he went pro, but I have this bad feeling things are not going to go his way in OKC, either. He's essentially insurance in case Jackson bolts.
Really looking forward to game tomorrow.

Big Russell fan, too, but he does take a lotta shots, and a lotta bad ones. I actually thought OKC was better off when he was hurt a year or two ago and Reggie Jackson took his spot. I'll go as so far to say Durant, for all his great makes, takes a s**tload of bad shots.
Hate to say it 'cause I really liked Dion at 'Cuse and have been pulling for him since he went pro, but I have this bad feeling things are not going to go his way in OKC, either. He's essentially insurance in case Jackson bolts.
Really looking forward to game tomorrow.
That's exactly what he is. Reggie will bolt or be traded at the deadline. We'll see what they do with Dion at that point but OKC offense will always be stand around and watch Westbrook and Durant. Until Dion shoots the 3 at a solid clip he going to have up and down games.

Dion doesn't see it, maybe he doesn't care, but he's not doing himself any favors whining about no-texts-or-calls from LeBron and whining about supposedly not getting the ball enough when he was in Cleveland. No need to go out of your way to help the opposition get any more pumped up to shut you up and shut you down. Looking forward to this one. Giddy-up!
http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/jas...ut-his-time-in-cleveland-had-expired-1.561208

From article on ESPN's site, Dion's quote about what LeBron said about Dion being on the Cavs.

"I ain't really care what nobody say. It ain't affect me. I slept good every night. I slept good every night. So, I mean, that's what comes with the territory. That's what comes with it when you got somebody like LeBron who brings all that attention around the team when we wasn't used to having that. So the littlest things that you do, they be like the biggest."

I suppose Dion may have been a bit excited, but if his English was quoted correctly, wow. I am glad Dion is on OKC, I think he has a much better chance to develop and contribute than on the Cavs.