Dion's learning curve | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

He got lucky. Blatant elbow to Ginobili. I've never seen that actually. How the F was that not called, lol?! He had that late 3 but otherwise a pretty horrendous game from him.

He got lucky. Blatant elbow to Ginobili. I've never seen that actually. How the F was that not called, lol?! He had that late 3 but otherwise a pretty horrendous game from him.
Offensively yea but go read the RealGM Gamethread or Reddit. Dion is getting unanimous praise for his defense on Kawhii. There's 2 sides of the ball, not just offense and Dion is getting a rep as a bulldog of a defender. He's erratic af on offense so clearly the coaches play him as a 6/7 man and in the clutch for a reason.

I mean, you also had that foul by Ibaka on the 3...I can't get over how dumb they play.

Well...1-1

Offensively yea but go read the RealGM Gamethread or Reddit. Dion is getting unanimous praise for his defense on Kawhii. There's 2 sides of the ball, not just offense and Dion is getting a rep as a bulldog of a defender. He's erratic af on offense so clearly the coaches play him as a 6/7 man and in the clutch for a reason.

I mean certain possessions he is doing an admirable job but he loses track of his guy way too often when he leaves his guy to give some half-ass help. That's undeniable. I did feel it was a bad call on him on vs Kawhi near the end. He moved his feet pretty well. Whenever he was on Ginobili it was pretty comical though. He kept getting turned around and had no idea where Manu was a few times.

Yeah, the Thunder don't have any real two way, "3-n-D" wings. Roberson is a phenomenal defender, but literally gets ignored by the defense he's such a bad shooter. Foye's undersized, hasn't had a great year offensively, and isn't much on D either. Morrow can shoot the lights out, but can't guard, and that leaves Waiters. He's not exactly a liability on either end, and his effort on D has been so good that he's become their best wing. I'm glad to see it happen.

I mean certain possessions he is doing an admirable job but he loses track of his guy way too often when he leaves his guy to give some half-ass help. That's undeniable. I did feel it was a bad call on him on vs Kawhi near the end. He moved his feet pretty well. Whenever he was on Ginobili it was pretty comical though. He kept getting turned around and had no idea where Manu was a few times.
Haha, yes, off the ball especially against a crafty 90 year old is something he has to work on but on ball he's getting noticed as being lockdown.

Haha, yes, off the ball especially against a crafty 90 year old is something he has to work on but on ball he's getting noticed as being lockdown.

"Lockdown" is a bit of a stretch but he's making strides on D for sure.

Billy Donovan is awesome right now lol.

"What call? I don't know what you're talking about? All I know is Dion threw it in and maybe Kevin got fouled, I don't know."

What is the rule? Is it even possible for an O player to commit a foul before being inbounds? What is the distance the defender must give? It is possible that Ginobili was in violation.

I feel like you can group Dion Waiters, JR Smith and Lance Stephenson into a very similar category. They all can do some really good things so you put up with them but half the time you're just shaking your head.

Some screen shots going around on twitter now showing Ginobli over the line...so is what it is, I guess.

image.jpg

Maybe Chris Webbers temper tantrum rant was unnecessary..

Press conference afterwards Dion and Adams getting big praise...

View attachment 62469

Maybe Chris Webbers temper tantrum rant was unnecessary..

I'm curious as to whether or not this is a violation in that circumstance. His foot touches the line, but he isn't really in front of Dion when doing so and he could probably argue he was just denying Westbrook or something (which I think is legal?) At any rate, there's simply no excuse for not calling Dion for elbowing Ginobili. It was incredibly blatant.

Ironically, nobody would care about this if the Spurs had finished on the 3 on 1.

spurs can quite their whining. they had possession and multiple chances to score.

I'm curious as to whether or not this is a violation in that circumstance. His foot touches the line, but he isn't really in front of Dion when doing so and he could probably argue he was just denying Westbrook or something (which I think is legal?) At any rate, there's simply no excuse for not calling Dion for elbowing Ginobili. It was incredibly blatant.

Ironically, nobody would care about this if the Spurs had finished on the 3 on 1.
In the nba rule book it says that neither an offensive or defensive player can break the OOB line. They say to view the line as a solid wall. Anybody who breaks it is automatically a delay of game.

Also nobodies talked about it on here but did Anybody see the woman grab Adams arm to impede him from getting back into the game on that last play?

spurs can quite their whining. they had possession and multiple chances to score.
That they did, but that shouldn't have been necessary, Manu should have been shooting free throws.

Plus: Delay of Game on Ginobli. Foul on Green for pushing Durant. Adams being held back by a fan. For good measure they missed the foul on Aldridge under the rim.

OKC should have been shooting free throws because Manu breaking the boundary on the inbound is an automatic tech under 2 minutes.

If we're being super technical about it, I haven't been able to slow things down on the right camera angle yet, but it looked like Westbrook may have committed the violation before Manu did. At any rate, a guy's toe on the line goes uncalled all the time; a guy that can't touch anything inbounds blatantly elbowing a player that was inbounds is inexcusable, especially when the ref is staring right at him.

The officials blew it - both teams got screwed at the end. Horrendous job by the stripes. League needs to issue a better statement than - sorry we missed it.