Dion's learning curve | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

Donovan has been exposed as a terrible coach. He's done a very poor job this year.

I think he just lets the inmates run the asylum. So much talent on that team. Ibaka and Adams alone in the frontcourt are beasts.

Im really surprised that no one besides a couple people here wonder what Donovan was thinking.

Calling that timeout was so beyond stupid. Just quick throw it in and get fouled.. KD and Westbrook know to run to the ball and make sure it's one of them shooting the free throws. Why does he need to waste his last timeout and allow SA to set their defense?

I didn't see the end of the game, I don't know the particulars, sometimes they will call TO to move the ball to halfcourt and at least get it further away from their basket should there be a turnover. Bu that's usually with like say 5 or 6 seconds left.

The thing with Dion is, more so than any other role player on OKC, the team gets ultra-amped and Dion starts playing with crazy swag when he gets rolling. I don't see that when Morrow, Payne, Foye or Roberson rarely do something on the offensive end.

Probably because Dion plays way angrier than any of them so he starts feeding off Westbrook and KD but it's definitely something I've noticed. If he could be a 10-12 ppg scorer this postseason, OKC will be very hard to beat.

If we're being super technical about it, I haven't been able to slow things down on the right camera angle yet, but it looked like Westbrook may have committed the violation before Manu did. At any rate, a guy's toe on the line goes uncalled all the time; a guy that can't touch anything inbounds blatantly elbowing a player that was inbounds is inexcusable, especially when the ref is staring right at him.
Seems like the toe on the line ALWAYS gets called in our games. No one is mentioning how the perceived offensive foul by Dion looks very much like a "flop"
No matter what, isn't it great to see Orange alumni in the deeper playoffs?

I'm not sure Danny Green really fouls Durant on the inbounds pass, but it's still 7 either way. Westbrook stepped out of bounds as well, which is also a violation, and unlike Ginobili, it wasn't just a toe on the line; he was actually running around out of bounds for a few strides.
Green may have fallen, Durant may have slipped. Looking at Video it looks to me like a foul. Real time it looked like a hard pass-fumble-slip.

Last edited:
I think he just lets the inmates run the asylum. So much talent on that team. Ibaka and Adams alone in the frontcourt are beasts.
How do you coach when you want Durant and Westbrook to get 75% of the points? Lot of ego-shaping involved. Looks like Dion's given role is to stand on the perimeter to be a safety valve. And OKC is pleased with it. Their plan is not for Dion to be a 22ppg player with Durant or Westbrooks points.

True, ha. Lance for sure but I hope he lasts as long as JR Smith. Smith has proven to be a dangerous sniper and a way better scorer than Waiters probably will ever be. He's become a valuable playoff teammate for years now. I like the Lance comparison...definitely some screws loose with him and more about 'me ball.'
I agree Dion needs to flash way more in terms of taking over quarters let alone games to be in the same group as JR and Lance. For teams to put up with what seems to be Dion's decision making MO, he needs to have more nights where he is wearing it out on O.

How do you coach when you want Durant and Westbrook to get 75% of the points? Lot of ego-shaping involved. Looks like Dion's given role is to stand on the perimeter to be a safety valve. And OKC is pleased with it. Their plan is not for Dion to be a 22ppg player with Durant or Westbrooks points.

For sure. I would think it is a difficult team to coach as well. That being said I don't think Dion is good enough to CONSISTENTLY be a 20ppg scorer in this league. His shooting especially from deep is too erratic, he's not as quick/explosive as he once was imo, and he sometimes has trouble finishing inside. Then there is the mental side of the game. I'm happy to see him in the playoffs though. I think it will be an exciting rest of the series.

I agree Dion needs to flash way more in terms of taking over quarters let alone games to be in the same group as JR and Lance. For teams to put up with what seems to be Dion's decision making MO, he needs to have more nights where he is wearing it out on O.

Agreed, but it looks like we are in the minority here, ha.

I put him in that group because his on-ball defense is much better than Lance or JR. That's kind of his thing right now.

For all the debate about that play last night, it will make Dion a lot of money! For two reasons one he got away with it! Two it shows he will do what it takes to win! Its the old if you are not cheating you are not trying rule.

At the end of a playoff game the refs swallow there whistles and basically anythings goes! Welcome to pro sports Dion a big contract awaits you!

Watching Dion playing solid role basketball. Still being Dion but diminished. Great D tonite in 2nd half. Doing the Cuse proud, not used to seeing a recent letterman playing roles this deep in the Playoffs.

Watching Dion playing solid role basketball. Still being Dion but diminished. Great D tonite in 2nd half. Doing the Cuse proud, not used to seeing a recent letterman playing roles this deep in the Playoffs.
Dion on a roll again tonite love his NBA D this series and the ball is dropping tonite.

Dion definitely belongs. Dude has and keeps showing up in the Playoffs. His on-ball defense is above average and now everyone in the basketball world knows that about him and while, still inconsistent, his offense has been pretty solid with some big games and clutch shots in clutch spots.

Dion definitely belongs. Dude has and keeps showing up in the Playoffs. His on-ball defense is above average and now everyone in the basketball world knows that about him and while, still inconsistent, his offense has been pretty solid with some big games and clutch shots in clutch spots.

He was very good tonight

29:20 minutes of action: 17 points on 7-11 shooting from 2, 2-2 from 3, 1-2 from FT, +6 +/-, 3 REB, 3 AST, 1 steal...pretty solid stat line and minutes in essentially a must-win game to save the season.

Okc had him running a little point in the beginning of the 4th while westbrook was on the bench and he did a good job. If he continues to shoot well for the rest of the series he get a max deal this summer. (he may even if he doesn't) His defense is night and day from when he entered the league.

OKC wins this series if Westbrook takes a backseat to Durant and gets players like Waiters, Adams and Kanter involved. If he goes hero ball, they lose.

Last edited:
Okc had him running a little point in the beginning of the 4th while westbrook was on the bench and he did a good job. If he continues to shoot well for the rest of the series he get a max deal this summer. (he may even if he doesn't) His defense is night and day from when he entered the league.

A max deal? No chance at all for that. Even the worthless sixers wouldn't be dumb enough to throw that kind of money at him. He's had a decent year and has proven to be a pretty good role player, but those types of guys don't get max deals in the NBA (usually).

A max deal? No chance at all for that. Even the worthless sixers wouldn't be dumb enough to throw that kind of money at him. He's had a decent year and has proven to be a pretty good role player, but those types of guys don't get max deals in the NBA (usually).
If he keeps shooting around 50%, OKC goes deep into the Playoffs and his defense stays at this level, he'll get a nice contract. Max, I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, a max for a guy like Dion wouldn't be a huge number..?

Don't forget that the salary cap is going up to an insane amount this next year. Look at what is happening in baseball. Pitchers who win half their games and have ERA's around 4.00 are getting 15-20 mil a year. It seems like contract values have jumped the shark. Don't be surprised to see "average" NBA players this offseason getting 20 mil a year or so.

If he keeps shooting around 50%, OKC goes deep into the Playoffs and his defense stays at this level, he'll get a nice contract. Max, I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, a max for a guy like Dion wouldn't be a huge number..?

I think his outside shooting will be key moving forward like you say for his continued longevity in the league. To me he has more than lost a step in terms of blowing by people and being able to finish. He seems a bit heavy now too, imo. Still, I've been impressed with his improved focus on D. I've always thought he was a good passer as well.