DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina

Natalie Imbruglia fan?
Jat.gif

Maybe he doesn't want to leave but the NIL lure is too strong.
I’m curious if there’s a significant gap in what he’s being offered vs what we can offer.

The murkiness here with all the kids that left for NIL is whether we at least matched and they still left or if we were completely blown out of the water….

I’m curious if there’s a significant gap in what he’s being offered vs what we can offer.

The murkiness here with all the kids that left for NIL is whether we at least matched and they still left or if we were completely blown out of the water….

Who are all the kids who left for NIL? Who are all the kids that stayed here because of NIL?

Yes a large gap exists,

Pretty sure none of the impact players wanted to go. They just couldn’t pass up the money and I can’t be mad at them for that

Who are all the kids who left for NIL? Who are all the kids that stayed here because of NIL?
Who knows but we also have the luxury now with the portal of losing kids to higher profile programs with/without NIL and then programs wanting to buy players outright through NIL offers that we can’t match.

Who knows but we also have the luxury now with the portal of losing kids to higher profile programs with/without NIL and then programs wanting to buy players outright through NIL offers that we can’t match.

And who are all these players? That’s what I asked. Other than Duce and Carter who are they? And you say we can’t match? Off the top of my head we could have lost Tucker, Jones, Bergeron last year and didn’t. Or OG, Wax, Caleb this year and didn’t. 16 players got NIL and didn’t leave. Then many many more worked their own nil deals.

And who are all these players? That’s what I asked. Other than Duce and Carter who are they? And you say we can’t match? Off the top of my head we could have lost Tucker, Jones, Bergeron last year and didn’t. Or OG, Wax, Caleb this year and didn’t. 16 players got NIL and didn’t leave. Then many many more worked their own nil deals.
I didn’t say we can’t match - I said did we or did we not match on kids that left. If we matched and they still left it’s a different narrative than if we couldn’t match at all. Duce and Carter off the roster for sure but it’s been rumored with significant recruits that were verballed here like Sellers and other recruits/JUCOs/Portal kids we’ve targeted. It’s been rumored with Lamson and Geer as well.

And for NIL we’re giving out on players that have been offered elsewhere - are we matching, are we beating out other offers or are we retaining with lesser offers because the kids don’t necessarily want to have to leave? It’s all relevant information.

Last edited:
Not sure the SU collectives do not have the money. SU has kept a lot of good players. I feel the collectives do a cost benefit analysis. They are willing to give money based on value. However I think sometimes other schools’ collectives pay way over value. It sucks to loose any player but the collective has to make smart decisions to keep as many players as possible.
The entire system is crazy but I do not see anything changing any time soon. Losing players, even starters, is the new normal.

Not sure the SU collectives do not have the money. SU has kept a lot of good players. I feel the collectives do a cost benefit analysis. They are willing to give money based on value. However I think sometimes other schools’ collectives pay way over value. It sucks to loose any player but the collective has to make smart decisions to keep as many players as possible.
The entire system is crazy but I do not see anything changing any time soon. Losing players, even starters, is the new normal.
Yeah it’s just a crappy system in general as to how it’s evolved with there literally being no protection or compensation for player loss. At least in the pros you get a compensatory pick or something.

The collectives are almost acting as GMs or “owners” and I think the biggest challenge schools and collectives like the ones that support us are facing is we are playing in a salary cap league where others don’t seem to be. Our money has to decide if it goes to retention or acquisition where other collectives do both. Because of this, we are more likely to be poached making this an almost impossible cycle of attract vs retain.

16 players got NIL and didn’t leave.
How many of those deals were thanks to Adam's generosity? I know you specifically mentioned he struck arrangements with several football players.

The collectives are almost acting as GMs or “owners” and I think the biggest challenge schools and collectives like the ones that support us are facing is we are playing in a salary cap league where others don’t seem to be. Our money has to decide if it goes to retention or acquisition where other collectives do both. Because of this, we are more likely to be poached making this an almost impossible cycle of attract vs retain.
Yeah I mean that’s basically the point - we have limitations where others do not and our recourse is to take on through the portal prospects that other P5’s couldn’t develop while shedding starters in exchange. With no compensation or anything. Our starters are sure things on the outflow but these undeveloped kids are not sure things on the inflow as well.

How many of those deals were thanks to Adam's generosity? I know you specifically mentioned he struck arrangements with several football players.

I don’t know the exact numbers but I’m sure the vast majority were from athletes who care. And none were with Adam this year.

I didn’t say we can’t match - I said did we or did we not match on kids that left. If we matched and they still left it’s a different narrative than if we couldn’t match at all. Duce and Carter off the roster for sure but it’s been rumored with significant recruits that were verballed here like Sellers and other recruits/JUCOs/Portal kids we’ve targeted. It’s been rumored with Lamson and Geer as well.

And for NIL we’re giving out on players that have been offered elsewhere - are we matching, are we beating out other offers or are we retaining with lesser offers because the kids don’t necessarily want to have to leave? It’s all relevant information.

We didn’t lose sellers because of NIL

We lost Sellers because South Carolina was his dream school and they finally offered

We lost Sellers because South Carolina was his dream school and they finally offered
There was NIL in play too. SC was his dream school as well. But it's not as if NIL had ZERO impact.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think he is the real deal and would have been a great transition from Shrader to keep things moving forward.

Now, who knows

So are you saying we matched or offered more than what SC offered in NIL and he still went there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom