Class of 2024 - DL Omar White (GA) Visited for Spring Game | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DL Omar White (GA) Visited for Spring Game

I'm surprised that Sevyrud and Wildhack even let him step foot on campus, unless they did their due diligence on the kid and his case beforehand, ultimately deciding it was appropriate to allow him to attend the game.

Agreed. Which suggests that there might be more to the story than is publicly known, or which the board is aware of.

Otherwise...

Not discounting Jim's take early in this thread, but what if the charges were dropped because he wasn't involved?
I hear you and does anyone here know and I mean knows what actually happened . It seems like there is a whole lot of options without any actually evidence of his situation. I for one would like to see some before determining if someone should here or not.

I hear you and does anyone here know and I mean knows what actually happened . It seems like there is a whole lot of options without any actually evidence of his situation. I for one would like to see some before determining if someone should here or not.

I searched to see what has come from the initial incident and I could find nothing after March 2023. It does seem he spent 5 months in jail for aggravated assault but I couldn't tell if that was post or pre-trial.

The kid pled guilty to misdemeanors, and it doesn't seem like he got jail time. He's way too young to give up on entirely. I understand if we don't want him on our football team, but hopefully he uses this as an opportunity to get better. If Fran is comfortable with him, then I'm comfortable with him. Keep him on a short leash, and give him a chance to get better. If he doesn't; cut him. Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

Out of all the recruits who visited this past weekend, I am surprised he is getting the most chatter. What about Ty Jackson? Hilson? Sounds like we are in great shape with Antoine. Andre Clarke? Daylin Upshaw? Amir Charles?

Everyone deserves their day in court. Lots of stuff goes on in small towns, especially involving folks of color. If he’s guilty, then I say no way. But I’m also reluctant to judge based on the little facts out there thus far. Lots of unknowns.

Allen Iverson throwing a chair in a bowling alley brawl. I don't think that was the thing that started the fracas. More like a guy coming off the bench in a sports "fight".

Coach Fran is all about taking hard or difficult circumstances and turning them around. That's what his Camden story is all about. If he takes Omar White, and White becomes a stellar citizen and man, then I'd thank Brown for showing the power of persistence.
I'd rather the "hard or difficult circumstances" weren't felony charges.

I mean it's not like he shot someone or something.
No wait.
Not saying he is a take but hard time seeing he actually was the shooter if he plead to two misdemeanors as one poster indicated. Still not a good luck he was involved.

There’s a whole lot of rationalization in this thread. There is a reason no one has grabbed a kid this talented.. New coach wanting to change the culture for the better.. seems like this doesn’t really fit

Agreed.

Which is why his name was puzzling when it first popped up before signing day.

And why it is even more puzzling that he took a visit last weekend.

Obviously, the connection to NW is known. Doesn't seem like a locker room fit on paper, but I wonder if there's something they know that the public doesn't.

Agreed.

Obviously, the connection to NW is known. Doesn't seem like a locker room fit on paper, but I wonder if there's something they know that the public doesn't.
I certainly hope so, because I am nowhere close to being on board with this.

Agreed.

And from something I was told I think this was an OV.

Doesn’t some guys have to leave before we can bring anyone else in? The numbers don’t work.

Doesn’t some guys have to leave before we can bring anyone else in? The numbers don’t work.

The numbers always work themselves out. Always.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some players enter the portal now that we're post-spring practice [just like what we see happening at other schools].

Having White visit and the door still open on him DOES make me even more curious as to what Will Norman did on his visit that was so egregious as to be told "no thanks".

Having White visit and the door still open on him DOES make me even more curious as to what Will Norman did on his visit that was so egregious as to be told "no thanks".

Apparently, he was extremely rude to some of the football staffers [not coaches, the support staff], way beyond an acceptable degree. So much so that Fran pulled Norman and his parents aside during a large scale recruiting dinner / reception event, and told them to go kick rocks even though we needed more size at DT.

I'd be surprised if we got involved with him again [not suggesting that is the point you were making].

Last edited:
I'm surprised that Sevyrud and Wildhack even let him step foot on campus, unless they did their due diligence on the kid and his case beforehand, ultimately deciding it was appropriate to allow him to attend the game.
I would bet the vetting was very deliberate and detailed. IMO, there is no way Fran brings this kid in through the normal process. Just who he presents as, and the newness on the job