Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
Well, I think we all can agree he did "something"...it just wasn't illegal.

(or maybe folks think the Laurie phone call was fake, I dont know)

FWIW, I don't know what Fine has to do with JB at all.
Didn’t those dudes claim they made up the whole story? It’s been awhile I can’t remember.

I don’t want Gmac or Red as coach either, I do think the assistants are in the worst situation compared to any other group of assistants that’s worked for JB though.

This isn't the point you're making, but I'm just posting this reaction here.

If this was 2012 / 2013, and things were humming along and the program was performing well, it might make sense to hire an unproven commodity like Red or GMac on blind faith. Because if they falter, you replace them in 2 - 3 years before the damage gets too severe, and before they can crater things to an unacceptable level. But you give them some time to see if they can sustain the level of success.

Today, the damage has already been done. And I don't think the program is in a position where we can afford to take a risk on blind faith with a completely inexperienced hire.

Last edited:
Didn’t those dudes claim they made up the whole story? It’s been awhile I can’t remember.
I believe the claim the molestation when they were young was a fake.

The comments by Laurie on the call were not fake from what I remember. I could speculate, by why bother. It's over with and his life was ruined. And, again, it has nothing to do with JB.

Last edited:
Really? You think there was then (or is now) cause to fire JB? Saying stupid things isn't cause. And any 4th grader can edit audio files.

Sean Miller wasn't sanctioned and is cleared as of December 2022. So what if his shady AF assistant went to jail? That's on him. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Bruce Pearl is back in action. Self barely missed a minute.

I want wins.

Sean Miller wasn't sanctioned and is cleared as of December 2022. So what if his shady AF assistant went to jail? That's on him. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Bruce Pearl is back in action. Self barely missed a minute.

I want wins.
Hilarious that some folks are never Millers while remaining steadfast that JB should be blameless for the actions of his subordinates during the Fab affair.

I want wins.
Just from what I read I think some have issue with Miller because there’s been reports he let Book fall on the sword for him which may give some assistants pause if offered a job by him.

I want wins.
One word: Slick Rick!
Or is that 2??
You know what I'm saying- Pitino's the guy.

Hilarious that some folks are never Millers while remaining steadfast that JB should be blameless for the actions of his subordinates during the Fab affair.

Again, no comparisons. Nobody at SU went to jail nor was given a 10 year show cause. It’s like comparing jay walking to a bank robbery.

I didn’t put that much thought into the phrasing.

What Miller/Arizona did makes what Syracuse/Boeheim did with Fab Melo’s paper look like an unpaid parking ticket.

If you think the Fab Melo paper "scandal" was the worst thing we've ever done, then you really aren't familiar with our recruiting in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Why didn't you say "what Arizona did under Miller was a lot worse that what SU did under Boeheim?" Or "what Miller did was a lot worse than anything Boeheim did?" Your phrasing allows you to dismiss Fab Melo (R.I.P.) and the exam incident, but the NCAA did not interpret coach lack of awareness as innocence (however arbitrary their standards can be).

Tell us what was so much worse? Paying a kid? No. Lying to the FBI? Maybe yes.

But you know, neither one of them comes close to Dave Bliss at Baylor helping his player cover up a murder. OK? THAT is something to steer clear of.

People have been paying for players in college since the 1950s. How do you think Frank McGuire got all those NYC kids to come to school in North Carolina?

Again, no comparisons. Nobody at SU went to jail nor was given a 10 year show cause. It’s like comparing jay walking to a bank robbery.

Arizona had an assistant pay for a fake transcript for a player and sentenced to 3 months in jail for taking cash to steer players to an agent.

We had our director of basketball operations facilitate academic fraud and had the passwords to our players’ email to pose as our players when communicating with professors.

It’s comical to anyone outside of JB’s defense team to pretend like Miller is untouchable but excuse and explain away the two time sanctioned JB.

If you think the Fab Melo paper "scandal" was the worst thing we've ever done, then you really aren't familiar with our recruiting in the 1980s and early 1990s.

I used that example because that was the example brought up. I’m quite familiar with what happened in the 90’s.

Why didn't you say "what Arizona did under Miller was a lot worse that what SU did under Boeheim?" Or "what Miller did was a lot worse than anything Boeheim did?" Your phrasing allows you to dismiss Fab Melo (R.I.P.) and the exam incident, but the NCAA did not interpret coach lack of awareness as innocence (however arbitrary their standards can be).
Fab (RIP) should have been bounced for reasons other the term paper.

Your post is crap. Where is the evidence that Bernie did anything? Two of his accusers recanted. The other two were drunk on Outside the Lines and changed their stories multiple times. And don't get me started on Mark Schwartz, witness tamperer extraordinaire. The FBI investigated for two years and found . . . nothing. All of his phones. All of his computers. All of his files. All of his records. Hundreds of interviews and . . . not a damn shred of evidence except for two drunk clowns. Get out of here with that ish.
The phone call with his wife was quite alarming.

Arizona had an assistant pay for a fake transcript for a player and sentenced to 3 months in jail for taking cash to steer players to an agent.

We had our director of basketball operations facilitate academic fraud and had the passwords to our players’ email to pose as our players when communicating with professors.

It’s comical to anyone outside of JB’s defense team to pretend like Miller is untouchable but excuse and explain away the two time sanctioned JB.

LOLOL.

I agree…..one caveat though. Recruiting to Syracuse got harder with the move to the ACC….it got much harder when players sharing the same last name of the coach said they were coming….and it’s damn near impossible now.

I’m not sure what Red and GMAC could do in a different environment. Maybe better, maybe worse.
I don’t buy the ACC thing… in the slightest.

It changed recruiting, certainly. You couldn’t sell the road games to Philly or NYC you could in the BE.

But you sure could sell a different competitive environment and playing against top teams. Different, more competitive against top teams, but the shift to the ACC should not have caused recruiting to fall off a cliff.

You know as well as any that the move to the ACC coincided with the sanctions, which hurt but also would not have been a killer if not for the… shall we say… change in recruiting strategy from the HC, which was the biggest piece that changed the dynamic.

Virginia is not a blue blood. Virginia Tech has stunk historically. Miami too. You can say we are an outlier in the league but we have the most history of anyone outside the top 2, have resources comparable, and have a fairly rich talent pool to work from (unlike football).

A you opinion letter on the newspapers website today. Savage

There are a few things Boeheim can’t do ...​

To the Editor:

Regarding Jim Boeheim’s statement, “I can do whatever I want” (”Boeheim tells ESPN that he’s ‘probably’ returning for 2023-24 season,” Feb. 4, 2023).

Except:

1. Make defensive adjustments.

2. Treat local journalists with respect.

3. Answer any question that is alluding to his weaknesses.

4. Win Quad 1 games.

5. Bow out gracefully.

A you opinion letter on the newspapers website today. Savage

There are a few things Boeheim can’t do ...​

To the Editor:

Regarding Jim Boeheim’s statement, “I can do whatever I want” (”Boeheim tells ESPN that he’s ‘probably’ returning for 2023-24 season,” Feb. 4, 2023).

Except:

1. Make defensive adjustments.

2. Treat local journalists with respect.

3. Answer any question that is alluding to his weaknesses.

4. Win Quad 1 games.

5. Bow out gracefully.

Well, duh!!
He doesn't WANT to do any of those things!! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom