Does anyone else really dislike Carlson at the P-S? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone else really dislike Carlson at the P-S?

Chris Carlson...

• I like

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I dislike

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

HughWotmate

Walk On
The guy is a massive wet blanket.

I don't need him to cheerlead or be biased in favor of SU, but for f**k's sake, stop looking for every negative angle in a story. He's Eeyore personified. He could be writing about a player being named MVP of the league and still have to mention the one game where that player played poorly, or some other transgression. His idea of being fair and balanced is to constantly counteract good news with a reminder of the bad.

Also, is he a reporter or a columnist? Because he seems to inject his opinion into everything he writes. I can always tell who wrote an article over there, without even looking at the byline. Waters and Ditota are a bit interchangeable at times, but Carlson is always the turd in the punch bowl.

I'm not going to link his article (refuse to reward him with clicks), but the latest downer was about the families of players not being able to afford to travel to all the tournament games. Look, I understand the current, popular "destroy the NCAA" narrative, and that's kind of where he was going, but again, during a time of joy and celebration, Carlson is looking to p*ss all over the parade. Here's just one portion that peers into his mindset...

Coleman, who has endured two years of knee issues in order to put together a healthy season, put on a happy face on his family's absence, saying he still has supporters in the stands that make him feel loved.

It's like he was hoping to go Barbara Walters in the post-game locker room and get DaJuan to cry about his family not being there. Why is this necessary right now? Add in that post-game locker room ambush he did on Kaleb Joseph in the ACC tourney loss to Pitt, and I just can't with this dude.

Again, he doesn't need to spit-shine Cuse athletics, but the negativity and the baiting is too much. They have more than enough trolls over on the P-S website comment section, I'm not sure why they felt the need to hire one as a sports reporter.

I HATED that he stirred the pot on Joseph right before the tournament. It was irresponsible and amateur. I expect him to be subjective but it should be done in a manner as to not be an antagonist.

Also, is he a reporter or a columnist? Because he seems to inject his opinion into everything he writes. I can always tell who wrote an article over there, without even looking at the byline. Waters and Ditota are a bit interchangeable at times, but Carlson is always the turd in the punch bowl.

Good call - every one of them is terrible with this. It's almost like no one's reading their pieces and giving feedback. And none of them ever learned this basic distinction.

Didnt someone on here once say he seems like the guy who gets assigned the lesser stories that others wouldn't want? Maybe that helped him develop how he has? Just a possibility.

I don't like Chris Carlson but he is at the Post Standard so I think you are required to be a complete fool to work there. I can think of multiple people worse off the top of my head. He's not Brent Axe stupid.

I don't like Chris Carlson but he is at the Post Standard so I think you are required to be a complete fool to work there. I can think of multiple people worse off the top of my head. He's not Brent Axe stupid.
Or Bud stupid

HughWotmate said:
The guy is a massive wet blanket. I don't need him to cheerlead or be biased in favor of SU, but for f**k's sake, stop looking for every negative angle in a story. He's Eeyore personified. He could be writing about a player being named MVP of the league and still have to mention the one game where that player played poorly, or some other transgression. His idea of being fair and balanced is to constantly counteract good news with a reminder of the bad. Also, is he a reporter or a columnist? Because he seems to inject his opinion into everything he writes. I can always tell who wrote an article over there, without even looking at the byline. Waters and Ditota are a bit interchangeable at times, but Carlson is always the turd in the punch bowl. I'm not going to link his article (refuse to reward him with clicks), but the latest downer was about the families of players not being able to afford to travel to all the tournament games. Look, I understand the current, popular "destroy the NCAA" narrative, and that's kind of where he was going, but again, during a time of joy and celebration, Carlson is looking to p*ss all over the parade. Here's just one portion that peers into his mindset... It's like he was hoping to go Barbara Walters in the post-game locker room and get DaJuan to cry about his family not being there. Why is this necessary right now? Add in that post-game locker room ambush he did on Kaleb Joseph in the ACC tourney loss to Pitt, and I just can't with this dude. Again, he doesn't need to spit-shine Cuse athletics, but the negativity and the baiting is too much. They have more than enough trolls over on the P-S website comment section, I'm not sure why they felt the need to hire one as a sports reporter.

I've got into it with him on Twitter. He's pretty fair and seeks common ground, the Coleman stuff was more a slap at the NCAA. He's really big into paying the players and treating their families right.

Good call - every one of them is terrible with this. It's almost like no one's reading their pieces and giving feedback. And none of them ever learned this basic distinction.
The line between reporter and columnist seems to be blurring these days. Every hack in the business seems to be editorializing, and not just at that bastion of journalism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom