Dome Renovation | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

I think one of the main points of having it near Jamesville is the close proximity of the intended workforce to be supplied by the poorer residents of the city. Moving it out to the northern 'burbs would negate that idea

The project is proposed near Jamesville as well because it's being endorsed by the Susquehanna RR and not CSX. The tracks near Jamesville are owned by Susquehanna RR

Surely Dino will continue the pool parties. Some of the most unintentionally hilarious threads on here involved people excitedly analyzing all those photographs.

A group of presumably heterosexual men closely analyzing pictures of shirtless college men raises eyebrows.

I was at a conference yesterday with a high profile SU finance guy and his assistants. Listening to his line of questioning on various tax topics, I came to the conclusion that some sort of financing that contains tax exempt debt, public money and private naming rights is in the works. Of course the specific project was never mentioned but if you connected the dots, one could have easily seen how it was the dome they were referring to.
This sounds about right.

That is not true. Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester would be done
I look at it like Texas. They have 4 middle to large size cities that all coexist because there isn't a gigantic one taking them over. Houston is slightly larger than San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin...but not 5 times more populated. That makes a big difference. 5 different cities other than the top 5 were ranked best cities to start a business in. Why...because the major cities aren't bleeding them dry.

How about NYS just legalize marijuana and put indoor farms all over upstate. Boom, you have jobs, tax money and many happy residents.
Couldn't agree more.

like higher taxes has little impact NYC because businesses have to be there. So raise raise raise raise.

Cuse, Buff, and Roch would not be run be the far left and in turn could be similar to a Tennessee.
Exactly.

I was at a conference yesterday with a high profile SU finance guy and his assistants. Listening to his line of questioning on various tax topics, I came to the conclusion that some sort of financing that contains tax exempt debt, public money and private naming rights is in the works. Of course the specific project was never mentioned but if you connected the dots, one could have easily seen how it was the dome they were referring to.
Wonder who the private naming rights is being taken by.

Couldn't agree more.
Gigantic solar powered greenhouses so big you can see them from the moon. You think wine tasting in the Finger Lakes is big? :D

Gigantic solar powered greenhouses so big you can see them from the moon. You think wine tasting in the Finger Lakes is big? :D
As long as its being placed in land that isn't super valuable its a win-win.

How about NYS just legalize marijuana and put indoor farms all over upstate. Boom, you have jobs, tax money and many happy residents.
Also build a hacky sack plant.

Macky44 said:
Wonder who the private naming rights is being taken by.

Me

There's a competing proposal, not backed by the Port or this URI money, for improvements to the existing DeWitt Yard that would create an inland port up there. The Port's argued that there isn't enough space up there.

Since these schemes rarely bring about private investment of the degree promised, I don't believe that's a legitimate concern. The Drumlins plan is flawed and I'll be surprised if it comes to fruition. It'll take awhile but I imagine that the DeWitt Yard will eventually be expanded instead.
Oswego wants it up near Fulton...

The project is proposed near Jamesville as well because it's being endorsed by the Susquehanna RR and not CSX. The tracks near Jamesville are owned by Susquehanna RR
If the project goes to the Jamesville site...it would kill any possibility of bringing the OnTrack back.

I look at it like Texas. They have 4 middle to large size cities that all coexist because there isn't a gigantic one taking them over. Houston is slightly larger than San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin...but not 5 times more populated. That makes a big difference. 5 different cities other than the top 5 were ranked best cities to start a business in. Why...because the major cities aren't bleeding them dry.

Not sure about NY, but Texas has liberal eminent domain laws. So large cities can continue becoming large. The 5 cities you list are 5 of the largest 26 in country in terms of square mileage. Houston is 2x or larger in population than any Texas city. That said, I think it's more the tax structure than the population. No income taxes and property tax stays at home. Even portions of the sales tax come back to the originating city. This way cities have more control of their finances, rather than the state.

Not sure about NY, but Texas has liberal eminent domain laws. So large cities can continue becoming large. The 5 cities you list are 5 of the largest 26 in country in terms of square mileage. Houston is 2x or larger in population than any Texas city. That said, I think it's more the tax structure than the population. No income taxes and property tax stays at home. Even portions of the sales tax come back to the originating city. This way cities have more control of their finances, rather than the state.
Interesting

If the project goes to the Jamesville site...it would kill any possibility of bringing the OnTrack back.

The newest transit plan involves an SU line that doesn't use the elevated rail; it'll probably be bus rapid transit.

Without service to the Dome, it's a bad plan. Seems like I'm saying that about a lot of things today.

Hopefully the freight rail people use the yard next to the Thruway and CSX while SMTC gets its act together and pushes a passenger rail plan that uses the old elevated next to the Dome.

The newest transit plan involves an SU line that doesn't use the elevated rail; it'll probably be bus rapid transit.

Without service to the Dome, it's a bad plan. Seems like I'm saying that about a lot of things today.

Hopefully the freight rail people use the yard next to the Thruway and CSX while SMTC gets its act together and pushes a passenger rail plan that uses the old elevated next to the Dome.

OnTrack was never convenient enough for people to use it on a regular basis. It's tough to see how it could be made profitable.

Can't see this happening with CSX. This is a venture with the Susquehanna RR who is a partner in the project and a New York Company based in Cooperstown.

I don't know every specific of the proposal, but I was told the port needs to be built somewhere on that line, and the reason the original proposal is in Jamesville

The Central New York region will receive $500 over five years — doled out in roughly equal installments of $100 million a year — to help fund development projects and programs designed to generate long-term job growth.

In its 87-page proposal "CNY Rising From The Ground," the Central New York Regional Economic Development Council said it would use the money to assist projects that align with significant market opportunities and address persistent challenges.

It identified what it said were six "signature" investments that would create nearly 6,000 jobs over five years:

• A research and development center for unmanned aerial and ground systems, with special emphasis on the development of systems that will allow unmanned aerial vehicles to safely fly in the nation's commercial airspace.

• The development of indoor farms, also known as controlled environment agriculture, and aseptic packaging facilities. One proposed facility would be a 100-acre, $66.5 million indoor farm at White Pine Commerce Park in Clay.

• A global manufacturing and logistics hub, also known as an inland port, at an abandoned quarry near Jamesville. The 225-acre facility would cost $100 million to develop and create approximately 2,000 jobs when fully built, according to the council.

• A national veterans resource complex that would leverage the services of Syracuse University's Institute for Veterans and Military Families and position the area as a national leader for veterans affairs, offering education, job training and other services.

Consolidation and modernization of local governments to lower the cost of municipal services and better position Central New York to compete in the 21st century.

• Programs to fight poverty, including strategies to align worker skills with the needs of employers.

I'm assuming that this money pretty much assures the creation of a new medical school, right? Far more crucial to SU's long-term health than a Dome reno.

From CenterState CEO Rob Simpson and co-chair Kent Syverud - I am proud and excited to share with you that the Central New York Regional Economic Development Council’s plan, “CNY Rising” was awarded $500 million as part of Governor Cuomo’s Upstate Revitalization Initiative competition. This is an extraordinary moment in time for this region. Central New York is truly a community on the rise. Through this investment, we now have the opportunity to significantly alter our economic trajectory. Today’s award is a validation of our grass roots and data-driven process, and affirms our belief that a community-created vision for growth will have the greatest potential impact.

In the first year of implementation, this plan will leverage more than $889.9 million in private investment and a total five-year payroll of over $765.8 million, for a more than 16 to 1 return on New York State’s investment. Over five years, CNY Rising’s components will create nearly 6,000 jobs. Its impact will ripple through our entire 12-county region and support the continued economic transformation seen across New York State.

I am truly grateful to Governor Andrew Cuomo and the State of New York for this award. I also want to thank my council co-chair, Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud, fellow council members, and the hundreds of community partners, business leaders and members of the public for their dedication, support and participation throughout the process. I hope you will join us as we begin the work of implementing this plan, ensuring our region’s forward momentum continues.

Chakka opinion - a huge win for CNY! Great job Rob and Kent! Another personal unconfirmed observation - I am not sure yet but their may be state or federal funding of either the new Vet Med school or the Dome or both next year.

OnTrack was never convenient enough for people to use it on a regular basis. It's tough to see how it could be made profitable.

No need for transit to be profitable - it's a public good. They're all money-losers.

But it wasn't popular or convenient, since it was designed to fail. It could be done well and be a valuable amenity, if the political will existed.

Can't see this happening with CSX. This is a venture with the Susquehanna RR who is a partner in the project and a New York Company based in Cooperstown.

I don't know every specific of the proposal, but I was told the port needs to be built somewhere on that line, and the reason the original proposal is in Jamesville

Susquehanna and the Cooperstown company are one and the same. They do have the backing and the public money right now, but one of the flaws of this plan is that they don't control tracks all the way to the New Jersey ports. CSX does on its lines.

Susquehanna and the Cooperstown company are one and the same. They do have the backing and the public money right now, but one of the flaws of this plan is that they don't control tracks all the way to the New Jersey ports. CSX does on its lines.

Yes they are based in Cooperstown (near where I grew up) and yes they do have tracks right to Port Newark/Elizabeth Marine Terminal. One of the benefits of the proposal would be a decrease in shipping costs upstate from the port. Thats why Susquehanna is involved and not CSX. If it was CSX there is no savings for distributors. Nate Fenno is one of the people most involved in this project, the President of that Railroad. CSX has zero involvement in anything.

Southern Tier...803 million...wow.

That's a joke-load of money to spend on a rotting wasteland. What are they going to spend it on? We're talking Binghamton/Ithaca?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom