Dome Renovation | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Yes they are based in Cooperstown (near where I grew up) and yes they do have tracks right to Port Newark/Elizabeth Marine Terminal. One of the benefits of the proposal would be a decrease in shipping costs upstate from the port. Thats why Susquehanna is involved and not CSX. If it was CSX there is no savings for distributors. Nate Fenno is one of the people most involved in this project, the President of that Railroad. CSX has zero involvement in anything.

I don't know what you mean by the last few sentences. But NYSW doesn't control tracks all the way to the ports. That's a fact, not speculation.

EDIT: Grain of salt with the source, but here's a little support for my claim: http://www.syracuse.com/business-ne...t_stop_plan_for_inland_port_in_manlius_1.html "...project would have an advantage over the Jamesville location because it would use CSX trains, which can go all the way to the Port of New York and New Jersey on CSX track. The Susquehanna's track end at Little Ferry, N.J., 10 miles short of the port."

I don't know what you mean by the last few sentences. But NYSW doesn't control tracks all the way to the ports. That's a fact, not speculation.

EDIT: Grain of salt with the source, but here's a little support for my claim: http://www.syracuse.com/business-ne...t_stop_plan_for_inland_port_in_manlius_1.html "...project would have an advantage over the Jamesville location because it would use CSX trains, which can go all the way to the Port of New York and New Jersey on CSX track. The Susquehanna's track end at Little Ferry, N.J., 10 miles short of the port."

My last post on this.

Read chakka's link. Start on Page 67. The CSX Port has no added economic benefit to Northeast Manufactures and Suppliers, as stated in the article you copied. I'm not sure about the tracks as you stated, you may be right, but I was assured by someone high up in Cooperstown that they had direct access to shipping yards in the Port of NY/NJ, and Chakka's link backs that up.

I understand people are frustrated about the Jamesville site, but this guy has no backing and CSX has no involvement whatsoever.

The minority (Jamesville/Dewitt) should not be the voice of the majority. If this plan is true to it's word it would be a game changer for the region. If you buy a house near train tracks well then, you're going to have trains go past your house. If they increase in traffic I'm sorry for your luck but you made the choice. Move.

I'll chime but I don't have complete insight. The inland port is designed to be a huge import/export center utilizing the expanded port of Oswego. Exporters, such as the Cayuga milk cooperative will be able to export dried powdered milk direct to China (huge demand) at an estimated 70-80% savings in shipping costs (huge dollars) making CNY exports like this highly competitive worldwide. The port of Oswego expansion will be able to dock the largest supertankers coming through the expanded Panama Canal. The Oswego port will also serve as an extension of the NY/NJ & Boston ports as those ports are both expensive and already at capacity. Long term expectations is to attract and retain major export import based companies here in CNY - export our natural resources and expand import based companies worldwide that should translate into jobs. Certainly both rail and trucking are important pieces of the puzzle.

Finally, the placement of the inland port near the South side would provide great job opportunities for our underserved areas in Syracuse. I agree with KellyS because the minority would block the greater good of helping the economically depressed areas of the South side.

Last edited:
I'll chime but I don't have complete insight. The inland port is designed to be a huge import/export center utilizing the expanded port of Oswego. Exporters, such as the Cayuga milk cooperative will be able to export dried milk direct to China at an estimated 70-80% savings in shipping costs (huge dollars) making CNY exports like this highly competitive worldwide. The port of Oswego expansion will be able to dock the largest supertankers coming through the expanded Panama Canal. The Oswego port will also serve as an extension of the NY/NJ & Boston ports as those ports are both expensive and already at capacity. Long term expectations is to attract and retain major export import based companies here in CNY - export our natural resources and expand import based companies worldwide that should translate into jobs. Certainly both rail and trucking are important pieces of the puzzle.

Finally, the placement of the inland port near the South side would provide great job opportunities for our underserved areas in Syracuse. I agree with KellyS because the minority would block the greater good of helping the economically depressed areas of the South side.
Btw

Grober is building a processing plant next to Cayuga Milk, and Cayuga Milk is already planning on expanding again

There also may be a third milk processing related company coming to the area soon as well

The minority (Jamesville/Dewitt) should not be the voice of the majority. If this plan is true to it's word it would be a game changer for the region. If you buy a house near train tracks well then, you're going to have trains go past your house. If they increase in traffic I'm sorry for your luck but you made the choice. Move.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I would imagine that was what they told the south side when they put in 81.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I would imagine that was what they told the south side when they put in 81.
maybe, except there's a difference between installing a brand new federal interstate through a neighborhood where there wasn't one before and increasing train traffic on railroad tracks that have existed for about a century.

This just in. Cuomo has built into his annual budget up to $750 million in business & economic development made available to his pet projects like the money invested in the Amphitheater & state fair investments. Joannie Mahoney has been critical and invaluable to the region regarding economic development projects. Add to that a billion plus investment soon redo of I-81 plus the recent $500 million from the state and an additional $400 million in private investment on top of the state money - that's huge amount of $$$ coming our way.

In addition, Chancellor Sevyrud has developed excellent connections into the Governors office by being co-chair to the CNY proposal to win the $500 million. I am of the understanding that $$$ is always available every year for - what I call - Cuomo pet projects. I still understand a placeholder for the stadium project of $250 million, or some portion of it, is still on the table. Change the name of the Carrier Dome to the Cuomo Dome I would bet the whole project would be paid for!

I don't rightly have details on this one, but a national veterans medical school may involve federal monies - especially for full scholarships in exchange for being an indentured servant Doctor for a period of time in veterans hospitals nationwide and may involve federal grants and monies to actually build the school. Perhaps even research $$$.

If Sevyrud pulls this off with both federal funding for the vet med school and state funding for a dome redo, the co-chair for a portion of $500 million we just won to build the Veterans center on SUs campus all within his short tenure - simply amazing. Add to that the Coyle hire who in turn hires Babers who gives SU football the potential identity similar to how Baylor restated its football program - all of this happening so quickly would be nothing short of a miracle - stay tuned.

Last edited:
Says - I got this.
13393282-mmmain.jpg

I'll chime but I don't have complete insight. The inland port is designed to be a huge import/export center utilizing the expanded port of Oswego. Exporters, such as the Cayuga milk cooperative will be able to export dried milk direct to China at an estimated 70-80% savings in shipping costs (huge dollars) making CNY exports like this highly competitive worldwide. The port of Oswego expansion will be able to dock the largest supertankers coming through the expanded Panama Canal. The Oswego port will also serve as an extension of the NY/NJ & Boston ports as those ports are both expensive and already at capacity. Long term expectations is to attract and retain major export import based companies here in CNY - export our natural resources and expand import based companies worldwide that should translate into jobs. Certainly both rail and trucking are important pieces of the puzzle.

Yeah I worked and welded Stainless steel pipe on that project. That plant was built on the backs of of the farmers of Cayuga county who got sick and tired of dealing with Byrne Dairy and their nasty dirty ways of how they treat the local farms here in upstate. They even have an approval already in place to expand and build another facility.
I think there was a Dry port that was built and located in Norther Virginia that has been a huge success.

There is talk of spending a $billion dollars up on the hill starting in 2017/18 with everything I had heard

There is talk of spending a $billion dollars up on the hill starting in 2017/18 with everything I had heard

if this is true no way are they building another elevated highway. Not when SU can build further down the hill into the city considering the amount of acreage the dome takes up. Not too many places to expand on the other side of the hill that they haven't done already.

if this is true no way are they building another elevated highway. Not when SU can build further down the hill into the city considering the amount of acreage the dome takes up. Not too many places to expand on the other side of the hill that they haven't done already.
That Billion includes the Dome renovations ,a new steam generation plant to replace project Orange to heat the campus plus maybe the new med school. I also heard some smaller things too.

The quad land is very valuable to the new schools they want to build up there, next to the land the Dome's footprint it sits on. Don't be surprised in the end they just build a whole new stadium.

There are people who feel that the time schedule they want to use just won't happen...wishful thinking

That's a joke-load of money to spend on a rotting wasteland. What are they going to spend it on? We're talking Binghamton/Ithaca?
Not exactly. Cornell , Ithaca College and i believe 5 SUNY campuses are all in the southern tier, so the area isn't rotting by any means. If it wasn't for the college's though it would be like Cooperstown without the Hall of Fame.

Not exactly. Cornell , Ithaca College and i believe 5 SUNY campuses are all in the southern tier, so the area isn't rotting by any means. If it wasn't for the college's though it would be like Cooperstown without the Hall of Fame.
Corning Glass is booming down there.Tons of work going on.

If you can pass a drug test Corning Glass may have a job for you as many down there that have applied has failed a drug test.Straight from a plant safety guy.

Corning Glass is booming down there.Tons of work going on.

If you can pass a drug test Corning Glass may have a job for you as many down there that have applied has failed a drug test.Straight from a plant safety guy.
Good point. Corning glass is a cool place.

If you look at a map...these three winning regions all connect...maybe some synergy...but realistically I won't get too excited about this. $300M per year among the 3 regions doesn't buy what it used to.
A key aspect of the program is that the regions must demonstrate equal investment from the corporate side.

Good point. Corning glass is a cool place.
They are going to put in another huge building down there by their Diesel plant where they make the filters. Ceramic ones and they do take some serious skill to make them.

I am a Corning native...it is a great town. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that money used to demo/refurbish the old Corning Hospital.

I am a Corning native...it is a great town. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that money used to demo/refurbish the old Corning Hospital.
Def a nice town i agree.

retro44 said:
Corning Glass is booming down there.Tons of work going on. If you can pass a drug test Corning Glass may have a job for you as many down there that have applied has failed a drug test.Straight from a plant safety guy.

Lockheed Martin is also surging in Owego. They are at 2600 high paying jobs and climbing do to the acquisition of Sikorsky.

Lockheed Martin is also surging in Owego. They are at 2600 high paying jobs and climbing do to the acquisition of Sikorsky.

The new elementary school at Owego is the nicest school I have ever seen. It looks like a Cornell building Strange really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom