Dome Renovation | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Carrier would need what it is worth in perpetuity. That means it would be a wash. Carrier would be paid e.g. $50M and we would sell rights for $1-2M per year.

The building is named the Carrier Dome. That is the name. Of course it is in perpetuity.

It's the useful life of the building. If they keep expanding it, it's still the Carrier Dome. I don't think you can just change it with the foundation remaining intact, if Carrier wants us to keep the name. We'd have to buy them out. But it's not the 'forever" value of the naming rights, it's the useful life of the building.

It's the useful life of the building. If they keep expanding it, it's still the Carrier Dome. I don't think you can just change it with the foundation remaining intact, if Carrier wants us to keep the name. We'd have to buy them out. But it's not the 'forever" value of the naming rights, it's the useful life of the building.
If the building no longer has a useful life...they will tear it down. There won't be a Carrier Dome. I do think you are saying what I have been though... it is not likely the name will change.

Capt. Tuttle said:
Hearing David Falk has been contacted regarding naming rights. No decision, but the build on the east and build on the west are open options. An issue with attching to Archibold (east) is whether or not the whole Dome then has to have a brick facade to match, due to historical status.

Not surprised at all. I mentioned him a year ago. The Falk college moved into the old law school next to the Dome. And depending on what they do with the Dome, the Falk College will be an integral part of the "complex".

And why not, the Dome is well-known and (for other reasons I've explained up-thread), I'm pretty sure fans and HCDB hope we keep a covered stadium on campus, no matter what it's called. As far as the CC naming deal, I question what exactly the deal (even if it said, "perpetual") was intended to cover? The Dome (roof)? That's going to be changed, probably into a fixed cover (isn't that a new "Dome")? The turf? Already changed. The seats? Probably will be changed. The walls, the floor? Both will likely be radically altered or replaced. On X84's theory, even if we bull-doze it, carrier would own rights to the dirt. I mean ... there's a limit here, somewhere, to what Carrier owns, and for how long, despite all this argumentation.

As you point out, lawyers were probably not dumb int he '70's. And neither are they daft in 2016. As mentioned above, I'm sure there are ways to address this issue, even if the original gift doc' said "perpetual".

“Perpetuity is usually a matter of negotiation now,” said William D. Zabel, a lawyer representing the Fisher family, who had threatened to sue on their behalf 12 years ago when Lincoln Center considered changing the name at that time without its permission.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/28/n...rpetuity-doesnt-always-mean-forever.html?_r=0

Dopes back then must have treated it as an academic building instead of a commercial marketing transaction.

The value received far outweighs the amount gifted. Horrible deal.

Is that the same Crouthamel that publicly stated that they 'looked into' getting field turf into the Dome, but that there wasn't anyway it could work due to the multifaceted way in which the Dome is utilized...that one? ;):)

When's the last time there was a track meet in there?

Hearing David Falk has been contacted regarding naming rights.
No decision, but the build on the east and build on the west are open options. An issue with attching to Archibold (east) is whether or not the whole Dome then has to have a brick facade to match, due to historical status.
Actually a need to put a brick façade on the Dome would be incorrect... as I have been schooled by an excellent architect on here...for the same reason that the addition to Archbold is so drastically different from the original building. Because of the historical nature of Archbold any addition must be different from the historical portion. Think more along the lines of something like this...

Eggers.jpg

Exactly right, credit goes out to the Carrier management team at the time who had the smarts to put perpetuity in the agreement. I suspect there are discussions going on relative to HVAC equipment, elevators and escalators, fire and life safety as well as access control to support the renovation. All of which a division of Untied Technologies owns and all of which have value to the university during the renovation.
I'm under the impression that the name it wasn't so much crafty legal maneuvering by Carrier management, as it was a lack of precedent at the time. The dome was one of the first sports venues to be built with corporate sponsorship, and at the time represented a creative way to fund the enterprise. I suspect Carrier wouldn't have ponied up $2.75 million (in 1980 dollars) for limited term naming rights.

If the building no longer has a useful life...they will tear it down. There won't be a Carrier Dome. I do think you are saying what I have been though... it is not likely the name will change.

Yes, we're pretty much on the same page, but my wording affects the buy out negotiation - the difference in price between "forever" and 30 years or so.

Dopes back then must have treated it as an academic building instead of a commercial marketing transaction.

Hindsight is 20/20. How could you possibly call the people back then dopes? On both sides, it was close to a first of its kind type of deal. Everyone benefitted. SU needed money, Carrier stepped in with it along with language associated with naming rights.

Dopes is unfair to both sides.

Yes, we're pretty much on the same page, but my wording affects the buy out negotiation - the difference in price between "forever" and 30 years or so.
I didn't take "forever" literally but as long as the building exists. As I have mentioned in other posts, that will be a legal decision based on how much change to it results in the building being a different one. As for "buyouts", I am sure Carrier would allow it for he right price. It's just that it would not make sense for SU at that price.

You are going to rebuild it with trane? you mean ingersoll rand? The same company that has moved their corporate headquarters offshore to avoid taxes?
Just an example .. I'm sure you get my point. Trane, I/R, whatever (if Carrier won't play nice). I don't live in Syracuse so I'm not familiar with the larger corporate bases there. GE's there, right? Help me out here.

Last edited:
You could always try the "we thought you were moving out of Syracuse and wouldn't notice" tactic.
That's definitely a good point ... If Carrier even hints at moving ... their bargaining position goes to zero.

That's definitely a good point ... If Carrier even hints at moving ... their bargaining position goes to zero.
Well we don't want Carrier to leave...but all that is left is the Engineering staff, training staff and customer Support areas from what I can tell. They still employ about 1500 folks and many of those are high paying jobs.

Well we don't want Carrier to leave...but all that is left is the Engineering staff, training staff and customer Support areas from what I can tell. They still employ about 1500 folks and many of those are high paying jobs.
And I'm not suggesting that Carrier did anything "wrong". They made their deal with the U at the time. We needed the money.

However, at this point, after only a $2-3M investment and 35 years of publicity ... Carrier got it's ROI many times over. They're a big local employer, and if they plan to maintain a strong footprint in central NY, I'm sure they'll work with us as far as a "reinvestment" in the new renovation. It doesn't have to be a negative.

Yah, I don't understand the numbers at all. Carrier got huge value for a very limited investment. And if they were able to slip "perpetual" in the document, then I have to question whether it was worth it. We got $15M from the state, and probably could have increased that a little and/or made up the rest from private donations ... and told Carrier either "no thanks" or "rights are good for 10 years" for that money. Maybe now the company (if its truly committed to the area) will step up in a larger way.

I'm under the impression that the name it wasn't so much crafty legal maneuvering by Carrier management, as it was a lack of precedent at the time. The dome was one of the first sports venues to be built with corporate sponsorship, and at the time represented a creative way to fund the enterprise. I suspect Carrier wouldn't have ponied up $2.75 million (in 1980 dollars) for limited term naming rights.
Or in other words crafty legal maneuvering. Don't you think SU, under the good doctor, explored 1000 ways to break the agreement?

Just an example .. I'm sure you get my point. Trane, I/R, whatever (if Carrier won't play nice). I don't live in Syracuse so I'm not familiar with the larger corporate bases there. GE's there, right? Help me out here.
Not much is left. gE is now Lockheed Martin, Hospitals and education. If it's not Carrier (which I think it will be), let's not think it has to be someone with a local presence.

Yah, I don't understand the numbers at all. Carrier got huge value for a very limited investment. And if they were able to slip "perpetual" in the document, then I have to question whether it was worth it. We got $15M from the state, and probably could have increased that a little and/or made up the rest from private donations ... and told Carrier either "no thanks" or "rights are good for 10 years" for that money. Maybe now the company (if its truly committed to the area) will step up in a larger way.
As stated previously the portfolio of products carrier makes dovetails nicely with either a renovation or some sort of new construction. Hvac (which is on the table), automation, access control, fire and life safety, people moving. All of that has value.

Last edited:
And I'm not suggesting that Carrier did anything "wrong". They made their deal with the U at the time. We needed the money.

However, at this point, after only a $2-3M investment and 35 years of publicity ... Carrier got it's ROI many times over. They're a big local employer, and if they plan to maintain a strong footprint in central NY, I'm sure they'll work with us as far as a "reinvestment" in the new renovation. It doesn't have to be a negative.
Carrier has been in the discussion of naming rights with the proposed additions as well, to my understanding. To what extent, I do not know.

Just doing a quick search. With inflation, Carrier paid about $7mil. Extreme high end is Citi Field and Barclays paying $20mil per year. MetLife is $17mil per year.

What if they just remove the name? Carrier has more than enough return on their money. Would they even fight it in court? Even morally, I don't think anyone would blame us for just ending it. If Carrier took us to court, they'd look like the holes. Considering they're moving business to Mexico, I doubt they have the cash to go to court for something like that.

Last edited:

They moved.

Just doing a quick search. With inflation, Carrier paid about $7mil. Extreme high end is Citi Field and Barclays paying $20mil per year. MetLife is $17mil per year.

What if they just remove the name? Carrier has more than enough return on their money. Would they even fight it in court? Even morally, I don't think anyone would blame us for just ending it. If Carrier took us to court, they'd look like the holes. Considering they're moving business to Mexico, I doubt they have the cash to go to court for something like that.

Well, the name has become iconic. I don't even know if people necessarily associate it with air conditioners anymore when they hear it on TV.

Well, the name has become iconic. I don't even know if people necessarily associate it with air conditioners anymore when they hear it on TV.

Don't think anyone really cares if it's called Carrier. More about loss of potential cash.

I've been a proponent of calling it the Wegmans Dome for years. I'd even give them a better deal, just for being another upstate NY entity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom