Dome survey | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dome survey

And as anyone who has attended or watched Yankee home games - they are apparently unable to sell the high priced box seats down by the field. That so destroys the vibe of the old Yankee Stadium.
Most of those seats are sold but to corporations. Except for the prime games half of them are unused for "ordinary" games which is why the crowd noise, electricity is so much less than the old stadium.

If the pricing is keeping you from getting drunk then the Dome is doing a good job.

Go visit any other sporting arena on beer prices.

It has nothing to do with me getting drunk, I go to watch and root on my Syracuse Orange. If anything I'm prob more being cheap which i prob admit.

They also have an interest/responsibility to keep the prices high enough that it isn't just a big keg party.

Low prices would serve this end, too... Not that I'm complaining about the prices.

$3 beers would create massive lines, so actually getting one would take much more time than $7 beers; thus, cosumption would be limited. This would cause massive log jams in the walkways, though, worse than they already are.

Anybody talk about the bunker ideas? I think those would be the coolest editions to the Dome, even if I'll never get to experience it.

Sorry not for the quantity. Again just an example I can get 4 dollar tall ones at TGI Fridays.

Don't say supply and demand.

Every time you bring this up, I feel like the whole board is looking at you like this.
l.jpg

Here's a legit question that i just thought of ... what if beer or wine was $4 each but you were limited to 4? Would you be more prone to purchasing? Less?

But then where do the several thousands people in the second level go? Can they be accommodated? It didn't look like there was enough room for both "luxury" and "seats." Even if they replaced all of the benches with a seat with a back, they will lose seating. They squeeze us in like doomed hogs. SO uncomfortable. But if they give us comfort, they will lose butts per square inch.

I think that's the trade-off that has to be made if they are going to refurbish instead of build something new. The 200 level seats are the real estate that is available for the most changes. And they HAVE to do something to make the concourses much wider with any renovation. Getting around at halftime sucks.

This is an unfortunate consequence of renovating to meet modern standards - wider seats and wider aisles will diminish the Dome experience.

It's better than some of the alternatives, though.

Why? Being squished together on aluminum benches is an essential part of the Dome experience?

It might be doable, but I don't think it would be worth it to tear down the stadium for a new one that would only be a modest improvement. Go big or go home. At the least, we'd want a new stadium with 5-10k more seats, better boxes, more concessions and bathrooms, and significantly improved concourses.

I think the biggest draw of rebuilding on-site is that the stadium will remain on campus. That doesn't outweigh the limitations, though.

As an aside, the most important feature I'd want incorporated into a new stadium would be some kind of configuration that makes the basketball atmosphere more intimate, while still being able to hold 30k+. Moveable bleachers that could surround the court and create something like an arena inside and arena, would be sweet.

Whatever you do, you don't make it bigger. We don't need 50K+ seats for football, we need about 40,000. And for basketball, if the capacity was cut from 34K down to about 30K, it might be a lot more comfortable, a better experience, and still a huge crowd for hoops purposes.

Low prices would serve this end, too... Not that I'm complaining about the prices.

$3 beers would create massive lines, so actually getting one would take much more time than $7 beers; thus, cosumption would be limited. This would cause massive log jams in the walkways, though, worse than they already are.

Why not just have more locations that sell beer? They seem to lack common sense with some of the things they currently do.

Whatever you do, you don't make it bigger. We don't need 50K+ seats for football, we need about 40,000.
I get the supply-demand problem as to why we might reduce capacity, but 40k just screams small-time. That lacks vision and says we're not planning to be relevant in football ever again. If we get that retractable roof, we've cornered the leaf-raking market. Bump it back to 50k if anything. Macy's or Dougherty's can loan SU 10k mannequins to fill the empty seats until we're good again.

I get the supply-demand problem as to why we might reduce capacity, but 40k just screams small-time. That lacks vision and says we're not planning to be relevant in football ever again. If we get that retractable roof, we've cornered the leaf-raking market. Bump it back to 50k if anything. Macy's or Dougherty's can loan SU 10k mannequins to fill the empty seats until we're good again.

Well, the supply/demand problem could be turned into a benefit. If there were fewer available seats, there might be more urgency to buy season tickets, and the Dome wouldn't feel like an empty airplane hangar for so many games.

They also have an interest/responsibility to keep the prices high enough that it isn't just a big keg party.
I was at the first game in the dome against miami of ohio (I was prob 15) . There was a college kid sitting in the aisle, on the steps, smoking a joint with some other kids in the row. It's been all down hill since then :)

MG44 said:
I was at the first game in the dome against miami of ohio (I was prob 15) . There was a college kid sitting in the aisle, on the steps, smoking a joint with some other kids in the row. It's been all down hill since then :)

I was 10 at that game. It was amazing in the early years with smoking permitted how it would collect up at the top like a big cloud.

Well, the supply/demand problem could be turned into a benefit. If there were fewer available seats, there might be more urgency to buy season tickets, and the Dome wouldn't feel like an empty airplane hangar for so many games.
That's only effective if the team is any good... and even then, it's debatable how much of a bump would actually be realized. A lot depends on potential improvements in the game day atmosphere. I'd be more concerned that we're lumping ourselves with a bunch of irrelevant Power 5 schools with similar capacity... and downsizing in the process. Just look at the list. 50 just seems like a demarcation point between schools that aspire to big-time and schools that are content to suck from the conference teat.

The school should get some one time investment into signage issues. as someone stated if you come from out of town and have to get back to 81 via some alternative route you are wondering in circles.. if you park at sky top and come in from the manley side they often route you out the back side and there is not one sign telling you how to find 81..