Donor Fatigue | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Donor Fatigue

There are 60-70+ teams trying to the NC in fball, of that about 10-20 have a real chance, and some of the next 20 perhaps on occasion.

In doing that those schools are spending a ton of money to keep up with limited NL money that may in fact dwindle down the road.

If you are in a Big boy conf and being last in the SEC still brings in big money, if you go all in on volleyball like Texas it may take 500K to get a title. Far easier to find 500K than 10 mill in NIL every year.

Unless you are going to get dumped out of the league and lose TV money why bother to compete for a lost cause?

Texas schools with oil money might have 100 donors willing to sink a million a yr. I doubt SU has 5-10 willing to spend that kind of bucks and probably not every year.

If you cant sustain the Big NIL money with the rules right now how long to do stay in the game?

And in speaking to coaches in other sports around, its a big concern how NIL is causing issues and thats at a vastly lower scale of money.

I know some people have strong feelings about nil. Unfortunately if you want your team to compete you have to donate. Now everyone is at a different level on how they can support the teams. However even small donations like 10.99 for orange United from enough fans can have a major impact. Like I said in the beginning people have strong feelings on nil but this is the new world if you want your team to be successful. In the end each person will decide what’s best for them.

I pay 20 bucks a month for Netflix or whatever so if the value of the entertainment supplied by Syracuse sports is equal to what I'm willing to pay for NIL. I have no prob with it. Win or Lose.

Much like certain TV shows or sports (UFC for example for me), if it becomes not fun to follow, I don't stomp my feet and complain, I just stop watching.

Detach revenue sports from schools and establish a connected sports academies like the rest of the world. Any school wants in, they can, but they're subject to a promotion/relegation process like English football (72 total teams). Treat the athletes like professional athletes honing their craft and they get a tuition benefit like a university employee does. They get training classes on being a professional athlete during their four-year eligibility, 1-off medical waiver year. Nuke the NCAA.

They need to stop treating these kids like it's 1938 and they're going back to work on the farm in the summer after they get done with the spring semester while going to Directional U for their teaching certificate.

The thought of Syracuse being in like the AHL of college football is incredibly depressing to me.

The thought of a middleweight trying to compete in the heavyweight division depresses me.

The thought of Syracuse being in like the AHL of college football is incredibly depressing to me.
I agree it’s depressing. But then, I don’t think college football is going to be college football very much longer.

I have said it a million times, but I’ll repeat myself.

I want to know PRECISELY what a kid is doing (services, appearances, commercials, photo ops, autographs, whatever) to earn NIL monies. I think they should have to report it to their schools and the NCAA.

With the amount of money on the the line that these schools are competing for, I want to know what the going rate is for an autograph session, etc. Right now there is zero accountability. None.

Anybody else think it's unfair to expect fans to pay for tickets, 'preferred seating', parking, concessions, building funds, scholarships, etc. AND pay the players through NIL while the schools won't pay the players directly?
Exactly. Wasn't NIL created to "share" the TV revenue? Passing the problem on to donors can't long term move, there has to be donor fatigue at some point, especially in programs that don't perform up to expectations.

The thought of a middleweight trying to compete in the heavyweight division depresses me.
With the playoff expanding now to 12 and maybe more, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect one playoff appearance per decade. The 2018 team would have been in contention. I think the 2022 and 2023 teams could have also if Garrett was healthy for the entirety of both seasons. We shouldn't be afraid of success, especially with this new jolt of recruiting/portal action.

Here’s what I’d like to see after the BIG/SEC take the best ACC brands to each get to 20 teams. It’s a blend of ACC leftovers and the Big 12.

NATIONS EAST
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY)
Virginia Tech (VA)
NC State (NC)
Duke (NC)
Georgia Tech (GA)
UCF (FL)

NATIONS WEST
Kansas (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX)
Houston (TX)
Arizona (AZ)
Arizona St (AZ)
California (CA)
Colorado (CO)
Utah (UT)

BC, Wake, Stanford, SMU
Iowa St, Kansas St, Texas Tech, BYU
You would have to put something in place to limit the poaching of players by the SEC-BIG. No idea how you do that but we all know that every year, your best players will be gone($$$) if there are no restrictions.

Anybody else think it's unfair to expect fans to pay for tickets, 'preferred seating', parking, concessions, building funds, scholarships, etc. AND pay the players through NIL while the schools won't pay the players directly?
It's not unfair.

It's the reality of today's college game.

It is a real turn-off.

I want to know PRECISELY what a kid is doing (services, appearances, commercials, photo ops, autographs, whatever) to earn NIL monies. I think they should have to report it to their schools and the NCAA.

With the amount of money on the the line that these schools are competing for, I want to know what the going rate is for an autograph session, etc. Right now there is zero accountability. None.
I completely agree with this. Some transparency would be a good first step to see just what the heck is going on.

Exactly. Wasn't NIL created to "share" the TV revenue? Passing the problem on to donors can't long term move, there has to be donor fatigue at some point, especially in programs that don't perform up to expectations.
I don’t think NIL was created for that reason and that’s not where the NIL money is coming from, but otherwise agree.

The best are those on X saying if you’re not donating to NIL you’re not a “real fan”.. as if STH are not already donors by default already.

Detach revenue sports from schools and establish a connected sports academies like the rest of the world. Any school wants in, they can, but they're subject to a promotion/relegation process like English football (72 total teams). Treat the athletes like professional athletes honing their craft and they get a tuition benefit like a university employee does. They get training classes on being a professional athlete during their four-year eligibility, 1-off medical waiver year. Nuke the NCAA.

They need to stop treating these kids like it's 1938 and they're going back to work on the farm in the summer after they get done with the spring semester while going to Directional U for their teaching certificate.
Pro/Rel is the key to "college football" imo.

You need to have SOMETHING to play for when you aren't Bama, etc. And those promotion games would be electric in a college atmosphere.

Last edited:

NCAA can't overrule state law.

Additionally, the reporting of NIL to the schools is already on the books in numerous states, so the idea there is zero accountability is incorrect.

It sounds like to want to limit what an athlete can make on the open market, which the courts have shown repeatedly to rule against

NCAA can't overrule state law.

Additionally, the reporting of NIL to the schools is already on the books in numerous states, so the idea there is zero accountability is incorrect.

It sounds like to want to limit what an athlete can make on the open market, which the courts have shown repeatedly to rule against
I understand open market value. These are state schools - most of them, and all receive federal dollars. I want accountability. I don’t want the government involved. But you know they’re going to get into it anyway.

The only way to make a fair system is to have rules.

The NCAA made rules.

Schools chose to abide by them (mostly)

people wanted more and revolted.

I understand open market value. These are state schools - most of them, and all receive federal dollars. I want accountability. I don’t want the government involved. But you know they’re going to get into it anyway.

The laws you want are already on the books in the vast majority of states.

Including NY State:
Limitations on NIL Activities
Student athletes must disclose potential NIL contracts to college officials prior to execution.

I’m a SU grad that received academic scholarships and assistantships. Not entirely different than what athletes receive in that both have to work to keep the benefits. However, nobody paid me extra money just so I wouldn’t transfer to Harvard (kidding). I hate the system but I donated this year for the first time just because that is the only way to compete these days. I would much rather see a professional minor league system that is not associated with colleges at all.

Say you work for a company and they have pay bands. But your boss wants to pay you more and the company says no. Should you sue to get them to do it?