Don't shoot the messenger... | Syracusefan.com

Don't shoot the messenger...

It feels weird that someone who has preached family and faith would leave for a lateral type move before 3-4 years. plus why go back to a place where every school does some variation of that offense you have to compete against.

It feels weird that someone who has preached family and faith would leave for a lateral type move before 3-4 years. plus why go back to a place where every school does some variation of that offense you have to compete against.

Agree, baylor isn't a better job than cuse. no way.

Get used to it. I'm not sure how educated Thamel is on Baber's aspirations (I tend to think he's throwing darts here), but as Babers gains success we'll hear this a lot.

Ok I'll add one more thing besides his contract from other threads - isn't his last daughter currently enrolled as a freshman here at SU?

Also who in their right mind would go back to a Big 12 team? That conference is a screwed up. If FDB goes anywhere, he's going to a perennial top 20 non Big 12 team.

Finally, he's got Wildhack in his back pocket and they get along really well - also with Tirico on the BoT, Sevyrud & Wildhack know what they need to do and have backup on the BoT to help explain and understand that the sports world is football first.

Last edited:
Who is funding Baylor? They were a nothing program for years, made an innovative hire, and now they're a destination job?
Baylor is the Duke of Texas...
Just as we are the Harvard of CNY...

Ok I'll add one more thing besides his contract from other threads - isn't his last daughter currently enrolled as a freshman here at SU?

Also who in their right mind would go back to a Big 12 team? That conference is a screwed up. If FDB goes anywhere, he's going to a perennial top 20 non Big 12 team.

Finally, he's got Wildhack in his back pocket and they get along really well - also with Tirico on the BoT, Sevyrud & Wildhack know what they need to do and have backup on the BoT to help explain and understand that the sports world is football first.
and Baylor is going to get slammed by the NCAA. Their history is a textbook on crazy

Agree with all that. Plus, Dino Babets strikes me as a loyal guy who will remember and appreciate it was Syracuse that finally gave him a shot to coach at the highest level of college football.

You don't sign a 6 year contract with a huge buyout for the first three years unless you plan to stay. The Dome is the perfect place for his style of offense. He knows the potential here better than anyone...

Agree, baylor isn't a better job than cuse. no way.

Briles was making 5MM a year...

Does that make Baylor a better job? I don't know.

I do know that 5MM > than what we are paying him; a lot >.

Doesn't mean he is going anywhere but, if he really is successful those are the types of numbers that will be dangled in front of him...

Their basketball coach makes as much as our football coach. Note to self: our basketball coach is probably THE most underpaid coach in the history of the world...

Well, after the national championship, he can do what he wants.

My thoughts exactly. By then Tressel will be begging to wear orange.

Agree with this 10x.

It is really as simple as this: as long as HCDB is listened to and he has what he feel he needs to win at the highest level here, he will stay. The money is important for sure, but all successful head coaches will tell you how critical this first component is. The key will be whether Syracuse is willing to deliver on these needs. I think the current leadership is a good start and an immediate improvement in attendance wouldn't hurt either. Also an ASAP dome renovation (if I get 3 wishes).

So if a player or coach (I believe) is under contract with a professional team, teams can't come cherry pick them unless they negotiate a deal. This should be in place for college athletics as well! If another team really wants Dino, fine we will transfer his contract for $20 million.

Briles was making 5MM a year...

Does that make Baylor a better job? I don't know.

I do know that 5MM > than what we are paying him; a lot >.

Doesn't mean he is going anywhere but, if he really is successful those are the types of numbers that will be dangled in front of him...

Their basketball coach makes as much as our football coach. Note to self: our basketball coach is probably THE most underpaid coach in the history of the world...

$5m to live in state-tax free Texas, which has warm weathers and oodles of talent. He's 55 and that money sets him up much quicker at a later stage in life.

Downside: Baylor should be given some serious penalties due to the inaction of a former coach.

I do business in Waco. Look, you get a house by the water, membership at a good course towards Dallas (70 minutes away) and shipments from Amazon. It's a living for a family who has been in Waco, outskirts of Illinois, Bowling Green and CNY the past decade.

The right thing will happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom