Don't shoot the messenger... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Don't shoot the messenger...

Baylor was gum on the Longhorns shoes until Briles came along. The only reason they're a big name is because Briles made them a big name.

As soon as Babers finds success here, Baylor isn't a better job. Baylor is also in an inferior conference and plays in a smaller stadium (45,000). The Big 12 payout per school is also less than the ACC.

Babers would be a fool to go to Baylor. I think he's going to build something amazing right here.

Agree with this 10x.

It is really as simple as this: as long as HCDB is listened to and he has what he feel he needs to win at the highest level here, he will stay. The money is important for sure, but all successful head coaches will tell you how critical this first component is. The key will be whether Syracuse is willing to deliver on these needs. I think the current leadership is a good start and an immediate improvement in attendance wouldn't hurt either. Also an ASAP dome renovation (if I get 3 wishes).

I'm so impressed by HCDB - I definitely want this to be true. I don't see him as a money chaser, I think he'll be successful (given time) no matter where he goes. As he stays and does well here I am sure he'll be rewarded. Not to mention having your name as THE man who brought this program back to prominence. Putting a team on the map is legend. Baylor already had their time in the spotlight and is about to chew on some serious NCAA sanctions.

Baylor is a way better job than us come on guys.
Why? Please elaborate.
Baylor was a dumpster fire of Rutgers-like proportion until Briles came along.
The only reason I knew Baylor even existed was because one of my fav players, Samurai Mike Singletary of the '85 Bears, played there. They were a doormat for a very, very long time.
I'm continually baffled by how short we tend to sell ourselves and this program.
SU has the potential to start a new, and yes, highly successful era with HCDB. And combined with ACC money coming in, exposure from alums in the industry, our long tradition and history, a more stable conference, etc., we ARE a far better option than Baylor.
JMHO

This is why we absolutely need a timeframe for the dome renovation. Without hearing any specifics and with how the university keeps saying "wait till next semester", the clock keeps ticking and if you're HCDB you have to start wondering if any of the improvements will happen soon enough to make an impact before that first contract buyout period expires.

I think we've all been quite patient waiting for details and color me concerned that SU is in no hurry to expedite things.

This is why we absolutely need a timeframe for the dome renovation. Without hearing any specifics and with how the university keeps saying "wait till next semester", the clock keeps ticking and if you're HCDB you have to start wondering if any of the improvements will happen soon enough to make an impact before that first contract buyout period expires.

I think we've all been quite patient waiting for details and color me concerned that SU is in no hurry to expedite things.

Who's this "we"? If it's us the fans, it's only so we assuage our irrational anxiety about losing Babers. If it's Babers et company, then I'm sure they already know the timeframe. C'mon Franco, you know they know. You just want to know so it gives you confirmation.

BTW, some of you may not want to read the Orangeeyes Daily Articles today. There is an article/opinion piece on who should replace Butch Jones at Tennessee. Guess who's on the list. That's right...

I think if and when he leaves it will be 2-3 years down the road when the body of work here speaks for itself and it's for a program that is a no brainer, a big job that leaves nothing to the imagination as far as stature and dollars. Thinking USC, ND, or something similar

I'm so impressed by HCDB - I definitely want this to be true. I don't see him as a money chaser, I think he'll be successful (given time) no matter where he goes. As he stays and does well here I am sure he'll be rewarded. Not to mention having your name as THE man who brought this program back to prominence. Putting a team on the map is legend. Baylor already had their time in the spotlight and is about to chew on some serious NCAA sanctions.
i hope this is all bs, but everyone is a money chaser--personal and familial financial security take precedence. i believe he stays providing as another poster said, that we deliver on promises (dome renovation) and do it quickly.

Baylor doesn't worry me. It's when the LSUs/NDs/FSU's come calling IF they are turned down by all their 1st choices. Dino becomes a very attractive guy down the line and those schools will write the check to get him out of the contract.

No one on a message board knows what Babers true intentions are and i'm sure he really hasn't told the AD either. If a big boy calls, he will have a very tough decision to make. I assume those type of schools won't call but we can't immediately discount it.

Imagine we win this weekend. The noise about Babers will be very loud.

again, lets see a few more wins as well the next couple seasons before we crown him. He has been very solid so far. And who knows maybe he doesn't want to leave at a certain point. There is always other good coaches out there as well, we just have to hire on the evidence not the potential or learning curve. Sooner or later we will find the guy that is the right coach and wants to stay. Dino may or may not be that guy, but anointing the guy as a savior or a must keep may be a bit premature, IMO.

Our biggest blessing and curse was having guys like Boeheim and Pasqualoni (to some extent) here and wanting to be here for the duration. We had (and still have) a great security blanket of guys who didn't want to see if grass was greener on the other side.

Like I said in a prior thread, I'm sure after the Fiesta Bowl in 1993, P could have sniffed around for a big time gig and got it. Let's just hope Dino sticks around to turn the ship around. I have hopes but i'm also realistic about what people want in their lives.

again, let's see a few more wins as well the next couple seasons before we crown him. He has been very solid so far. And who knows maybe he doesn't want to leave at a certain point. There is always other good coaches out there as well, we just have to hire on the evidence not the potential or learning curve. Sooner or later we will find the guy that is the right coach and wants to stay. Dino may or may not be that guy, but anointing the guy as a savior or a must keep may be a bit premature, IMO.
I agree...

Coaches leave. But it won't be this year, and probably not next. But likely sometime in the future Babers will be gone. Just have to hope he has built something really good before that happens.

C'mon Franco, you know they know.
Not buying it. I don't think sala and his boys have any idea when they're going to set things in motion. If they did know then some of the insiders would have at least hinted this.

Oh, all you guys are so fatalistic. You might as well be working for the Post Standard and media too.

"Babers is gonna go. Maybe not now, but he will. Get used to it."

More and more of this stuff. Keep talking about it like this and he will. This is nuts after 8 games ...

Another thread like this, another dollar

I read this morning that Dino was mentioned as a possible for the Tennessee position if their coach gets fired at the end of the year. :oops:

Not buying it. I don't think sala and his boys have any idea when they're going to set things in motion. If they did know then some of the insiders would have at least hinted this.

They know.

Oh, all you guys are so fatalistic. You might as well be working for the Post Standard and media too.

"Babers is gonna go. Maybe not now, but he will. Get used to it."

More and more of this stuff. Keep talking about it like this and he will. This is nuts after 8 games ...

Another thread like this, another dollar

Fatalistic? More like realistic.

Is it nuts this year after 8 games for a 4-4 team? I sure hope so.

Will it still be be nuts if we go 8-4 this year? ..That would mean wins over Va Tech, Clemson and FSU...All of a sudden, not so much, right? I doubt that happens but you get my point.

IF this guy really does get this thing turned around and we go 8-4 or 9-3 sometime in the next few years, then one of the big boys is probably gonna dangle a whole lotta dinero in front of him and, unless Babers was born in Lyons and I'm not aware of it, there is a good chance that he will hit that bid...

Fatalistic? More like realistic.

Is it nuts this year after 8 games for a 4-4 team? I sure hope so.

Will it still be be nuts if we go 8-4 this year? ..That would mean wins over Va Tech, Clemson and FSU...All of a sudden, not so much, right? I doubt that happens but you get my point.

IF this guy really does get this thing turned around and we go 8-4 or 9-3 sometime in the next few years, then one of the big boys is probably gonna dangle a whole lotta dinero in front of him and, unless Babers was born in Lyons and I'm not aware of it, there is a good chance that he will hit that bid...

Unless our bid becomes competitive, which I think given the state that the conference is in and the potential that is there, it definitely could. Maybe not $5M but certainly I think we could get to $3M if the program gets going.

Why? Please elaborate.
Baylor was a dumpster fire of Rutgers-like proportion until Briles came along.
The only reason I knew Baylor even existed was because one of my fav players, Samurai Mike Singletary of the '85 Bears, played there. They were a doormat for a very, very long time.
I'm continually baffled by how short we tend to sell ourselves and this program.
SU has the potential to start a new, and yes, highly successful era with HCDB. And combined with ACC money coming in, exposure from alums in the industry, our long tradition and history, a more stable conference, etc., we ARE a far better option than Baylor.
JMHO

Baylor was really lucky in having a rare winning team the year that SWC imploded. TCU, Rice, and Houston had the misfortune of stinking that year (and some had been bad for a long time), there was little rhyme or reason as to which Texas teams made the cut for the big VII. All that was certain was that there was a lot of dead weight at the bottom of the SWC that wasn't going to be given a lifeline in the merger with the big 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom