Don't shoot the messenger... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Don't shoot the messenger...

Unless our bid becomes competitive, which I think given the state that the conference is in and the potential that is there, it definitely could. Maybe not $5M but certainly I think we could get to $3M if the program gets going.

OK...let's play this out...LSU fired Les Miles who was being paid 4.3MM and, reportedly has a 9MM buyout at 1.5MM a year)...

They fired a guy who was 114-34 because he didn't win enough.

If LSU, or some other heavy hitter, thinks, at some point, that Babers is the right guy and can get them to the promised land, how much do you think they'll pay him?

He may earn our 3MM offer by Tax Day...

i hope this is all bs, but everyone is a money chaser--personal and familial financial security take precedence. i believe he stays providing as another poster said, that we deliver on promises (dome renovation) and do it quickly.

Come on...if you're 55 and you make 3 million or so a year, and you have a 6 year contract, that seems like a pretty good gig to me, even in NY. If you love your job, you don't move for the extra few million.

Baylor was gum on the Longhorns shoes until Briles came along. The only reason they're a big name is because Briles made them a big name.

As soon as Babers finds success here, Baylor isn't a better job. Baylor is also in an inferior conference and plays in a smaller stadium (45,000). The Big 12 payout per school is also less than the ACC.

Babers would be a fool to go to Baylor. I think he's going to build something amazing right here.

Yeah, their stadium is a dump.

upload_2016-11-1_9-44-14.png

Fatalistic? More like realistic.

Is it nuts this year after 8 games for a 4-4 team? I sure hope so.

Will it still be be nuts if we go 8-4 this year? ..That would mean wins over Va Tech, Clemson and FSU...All of a sudden, not so much, right? I doubt that happens but you get my point.

IF this guy really does get this thing turned around and we go 8-4 or 9-3 sometime in the next few years, then one of the big boys is probably gonna dangle a whole lotta dinero in front of him and, unless Babers was born in Lyons and I'm not aware of it, there is a good chance that he will hit that bid...
I knew that was going to be the reply. No. Not realistic. Fatalistic. Realism lies somewhere between unbridled optimism and devoted pessimism.

Of course, coaches who do well will always be offered other opportunities. This happens all over the country, not just at Syracuse. Our coach does not have to take the offer. Neither does any other coach. But we all say, "of course he will."

And for everyone who says that Dino will go: What you are really saying is that Syracuse should never expect to have prolonged success ever again. Deny it all you want, but that's what you are really saying.

"Oh. But we'll just keep our offensive coordinator and keep rolling." Oh really? What happens in the year he wins 8 games? He's gone too, right? Because Syracuse has nothing to offer their coaches, and coaches will always leave for somewhere else.

I knew that was going to be the reply. No. Not realistic. Fatalistic. Realism lies somewhere between unbridled optimism and devoted pessimism.

Of course, coaches who do well will always be offered other opportunities. This happens all over the country, not just at Syracuse. Our coach does not have to take the offer. Neither does any other coach. But we all say, "of course he will."

And for everyone who says that Dino will go: What you are really saying is that Syracuse should never expect to have prolonged success ever again. Deny it all you want, but that's what you are really saying.

"Oh. But we'll just keep our offensive coordinator and keep rolling." Oh really? What happens in the year he wins 8 games? He's gone too, right? Because Syracuse has nothing to offer their coaches, and coaches will always leave for somewhere else.

I for one don't really forsee any type of prolonged success in our future, that's what a solid decade or 2 of being a doormat does to people. I'm hoping to be competing for 8-9 wins during uptick swings with a decent bowl destination. Being realistic is acknowledging that we historically pay a salary that is in the bottom 10% of Power-5 programs in an extremely high tax state, have a recruiting footprint that may also be in that bottom 10% and also are located in a pretty undesirable location all things considered. Mix that with being stuck in a division with 2 powerhouses that aren't likely to go anywhere for the forseeable future and that's just the way things are.

All I know is that Dino goes out of his way to say this is a destination job for him without much prompting. Obviously, nothing is ever guaranteed, but why worry about it now? Just enjoy the success and IF he leaves (which i don't think he will), worry about it then.

Last edited:
We have something that no other university can offer Babers and his scheme...a controlled environment. Don't discount how much that means to Babers. Please guys step back from the ledge Babers isn't going anywhere for a while. He's not going to Tennessee, he's not going to LSU or any other place this year.

I for one don't really forsee any type of prolonged success in our future, that's what a solid decade or 2 of being a doormat does to people. I'm hoping to be competing for 8-9 wins during uptick swings with a decent bowl destination. Being realistic is acknowledging that we historically pay a salary that is in the bottom 10% of Power-5 programs in an extremely high tax state, have a recruiting footprint that may also be in that bottom 10% and also are located in a pretty undesirable location all things considered. Mix that with being stuck in a division with 2 powerhouses that aren't likely to go anywhere for the forseeable future and that's just the way things are.
Wow. It's hopeless. We shouldn't have even got Babers to begin with

Wow. It's hopeless. We shouldn't have even got Babers to begin with

It's only hopeless if you think the glory days of the past are coming back. If you expect to be competing for national championships sometime in the near future then yeah its hopeless. If you can lower that down to being happy with an 8-4 record, competing for the back end of the top 25 & recruiting classes ranked in the 30s then its not hopeless.

OK...let's play this out...LSU fired Les Miles who was being paid 4.3MM and, reportedly has a 9MM buyout at 1.5MM a year)...

They fired a guy who was 114-34 because he didn't win enough.

If LSU, or some other heavy hitter, thinks, at some point, that Babers is the right guy and can get them to the promised land, how much do you think they'll pay him?

He may earn our 3MM offer by Tax Day...

I'm not sure I disagree - just saying that I think our offer would be competitive compared to most schools. Big boys = 10-12 schools. If that's what you meant, I think we would all sign up for that scenario because that means we are back winning.

It's only hopeless if you think the glory days of the past are coming back. If you expect to be competing for national championships sometime in the near future then yeah its hopeless. If you can lower that down to being happy with an 8-4 record, competing for the back end of the top 25 & recruiting classes ranked in the 30s then its not hopeless.
I expect all of that. Those are not out of the realm of possibility. But everyone is saying we can't hold onto a coach who gets 8 wins.

everyone is so paranoid by this thread. The thread is in response to an SI writer tossing his name out there as a possible candidate. Said writer speaks to agents, other coaches, ADs, etc. It's not preposterous for us to consider this and discuss. People are such ostriches around here if they think he's not gonna be up for jobs in the offseason. People see what's going on at Syracuse.

The doomsday scenario to me is if he goes it sounds like he brings his entire pied piper group with him. I really don't want to see this operation, in its entirety, walk out the door after one year. I'm hoping he's a man of his word and sticks around but i harbor not illusions that he prob bolts if the right job surfaces

everyone is so paranoid by this thread. The thread is in response to an SI writer tossing his name out there as a possible candidate. Said writer speaks to agents, other coaches, ADs, etc. It's not preposterous for us to consider this and discuss. People are such ostriches around here if they think he's not gonna be up for jobs in the offseason. People see what's going on at Syracuse.

The doomsday scenario to me is if he goes it sounds like he brings his entire pied piper group with him. I really don't want to see this operation, in its entirety, walk out the door after one year. I'm hoping he's a man of his word and sticks around but i harbor not illusions that he prob bolts if the right job surfaces
You believe what the writer is saying and everyone else on the thread is paranoid? What's going on at Syracuse? Better facilities? Check. Better pay for coaches? Check. An on campus stadium about to be drastically renovated? Check. An upset win over a top 20 team? Check. One of the biggest wave making hires for an athletic director in all the nation? What's going on at Syracuse?

Last edited:

Good grief.

It's a good thing the AD and BOT don't share this outlook.

You play to win the game. If you start getting 8-9 wins regularly, you start thinking about the playoffs. What we did in the past salary-wise is irrelevant given the Chancellor/AD weren't here and we didn't have ACC $ until just very recently. Recruiting is what it is. But it's not bottom 10%. We're too close to PA/MD/VA/NJ.

What is undesirable about living in upstate NY again? I mean - snow? Is that it? High taxes? Not that big of a deal.

Look at Washington this year. Who would have seen them as a given for the playoffs at this point in the season a few years ago?
Good grief.

You play to win the game. If you start getting 8-9 wins regularly, you start thinking about the playoffs. What we did in the past salary-wise is irrelevant given the Chancellor/AD weren't here and we didn't have ACC $ until just very recently. Recruiting is what it is. But it's not bottom 10%. We're too close to PA/MD/VA/NJ.

What is undesirable about living in upstate NY again? I mean - snow? Is that it? High taxes? Not that big of a deal.

They know.
Then why is it hush-hush? We're not talking HIPPA here. What's the incentive to not disclose these details to the public? Is it so crazy to say, hey, we're breaking ground on the new roof in fall 2017 with a projected completion of all 3 phases by 2019?

All I know is that Dino goes out of his way to say this is a destination job for him without much prompting. Obviously, nothing is ever guaranteed, but why worry about it now? Just enjoy the success and IF he leaves (which i don't think he will), worry about it then.

This is where I'm at. I supposed there is always a chance he will leave. But my parents pointed out to me a few years ago that I didn't even seem like I was enjoying our basketball wins because I was always worried about the next game. We've gone too long without excitement in the football program so I'll enjoy what we have now and worry about it then if the time comes that he leaves.

It feels weird that someone who has preached family and faith would leave for a lateral type move before 3-4 years. plus why go back to a place where every school does some variation of that offense you have to compete against.

I would rather be in the ACC than the Big XII.

I would rather play in a Dome.

I would rather have the great Syracuse University Football Tradition than the awful Baylor legacy.

Good grief.

You can think whatever you want regarding the playoffs but I don't forsee that thought ever entering my head because its completely pointless in my opinion. Final Four expectations for the basketball team this year, sure! Football team winning 11 games and the ACC, not a chance.

What other power 5 schools have a worse footprint? Basically every school is within that distance to similar states or for many, much better ones like GA/FL/TX/CA.

What makes it undesirable, seriously? Do you still live there? I sure don't and neither do a ton of people given the population continues to dwindle. I imagine the majority of the people on this board no longer do and have no desire to ever go back.

You can think whatever you want regarding the playoffs but I don't forsee that thought ever entering my head because its completely pointless in my opinion. Final Four expectations for the basketball team this year, sure! Football team winning 11 games and the ACC, not a chance.

What other power 5 schools have a worse footprint? Basically every school is within that distance to similar states or for many, much better ones like GA/FL/TX/CA.

What makes it undesirable, seriously? Do you still live there? I sure don't and neither do a . . . . ton of people given the population continues to dwindle. I imagine the majority of the people on this board no longer do and have no desire to ever go back.

You've forgotten what living here is like, man. It's pretty great. I think there are a lot of people who like upstate NY.

What about Michigan? Washington? Oregon? Louisville? We're not as short on the recruiting front as people think. What we've been missing is wins, momentum, and positive perception. All of that will be getting better IMO.

As for 11 games and the ACC? Of course there is a chance. Not this year or next - but with this coach - it's possible to think big a little. We just beat the team leading the other division by two TDs.

there is nothing magical about babers. if su commits to a style of play that is bigger than whoever coaches them, they'll be fine. the bright side of schools wanting baylor's offense is there will be more people to choose from. and our direct competitors might not be going after those guys

I would rather be in the ACC than the Big XII.

I would rather play in a Dome.

I would rather have the great Syracuse University Football Tradition than the awful Baylor legacy.
I totally agree.

Unless you paid me double.

What makes it undesirable, seriously? Do you still live there? I sure don't and neither do a . . . . ton of people given the population continues to dwindle. I imagine the majority of the people on this board no longer do and have no desire to ever go back.
upload_2016-11-1_14-59-28.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom