Don't shoot the messenger... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Don't shoot the messenger...

the irony with P is the only job, during his salad days, he would have had a hard time saying no to is Penn St. If Joe Pa had quit in like 1998 or so, Coach P would have been the next HC of Penn St. That would have been an interesting time for sure because i'm not sure who in 1998 would have taken over the reigns here. Would Coach Mac done a second tour at that point (he would have been 68 so prob no).
thank goodness for his sake that never happened. he would've been put in a horrible position, get your presumable dream job at your alma mater and end up very conflicted about all the horrible stuff he would've learned

Coaches love coaching wherever they are...until they're not.

I'm not sure you're in a position to make that kind of generalization.

Coach Mac for instance coached for a number of schools and in the NFL.

But, he returned to Syracuse when he was done because he and his family truly liked the community.

During his final press conference Robinson said things about Syracuse that fired coaches typically do not say - that he loved the job and the community and wanted to re-apply for his job. And, his son stayed in the area and has remained in the area. That's unusual I think.

Shafer was more upset over losing his job at Syracuse University than I have ever observed in all my years. He could not even address the team or the press after the BC game. He stayed in CNY even before he became HC because his family really liked it here.

Pasqualoni would have stayed forever if he could have.

Schwartzwalder could have been the Boston Patriots coach in the early 1960s but he stayed in Syracuse.

And, of course, Boeheim.

There are just too many examples to just dismiss the notion with a baseless generalization.

The Syracuse community is a nice place to raise a family - it is pretty - there are few traffic problems - schools are solid - there is plenty of culture and you can be a big fish in a small but sophisticated community.

But, he returned to Syracuse when he was done because he and his family truly liked the community.

During his final press conference Robinson said things about Syracuse that fired coaches typically do not say - that he loved the job and the community and wanted to re-apply for his job. And, his son stayed in the area and has remained in the area. That's unusual I think.

Shafer was more upset over losing his job at Syracuse University than I have ever observed in all my years. He could not even address the team or the press after the BC game. He stayed in CNY even before he became HC because his family really liked it here.

Schwartzwalder could have been the Boston Patriots coach in the early 1960s but he stayed in Syracuse.

And, of course, Boeheim.

There are just too many examples to just dismiss the notion with a baseless generalization.

The Syracuse community is a nice place to raise a family - it is pretty - there are few traffic problems - schools are solid - there is plenty of culture and you can be a big fish in a small but sophisticated community.

Also, salt potatoes.

Yes, yes, and yes. Money should never be the only consideration. Sometimes it is for coaches unfortunately. But the smart ones know it is about money ...and terms ...and the people you work with, and time and place

Though it seems clear that Marrone did not want to recruit or coach college kids, had he stayed, in the end, he probably would have done better financially.

His contract salary would have continued to increase - he would probably be making $2.5 to $3.5 per year right now - and he would have had the chance to be here for twenty more years.

Instead, he's an NFL OL coach earning I'm sure a decent but modest salary.

And, of course, Boeheim.

It seems that a pretty large percentage of high profile people in sports seem to stay in the area where they had their most success. I used to see it with a lot of the Bills players in Buffalo. Jim Kelly, Thurman, Tasker and a bunch of others all stayed in the area because in large part I think it made a lot of sense financially. They still had earning power within the community that they would not have had elsewhere. I believe that happens with coaching and specifically with someone like Coach Mac. Its actually kind of funny to see where our head coaches have ended up post-Syracuse while we fret about the future of Dino. Coach P is now a position coach at a peer school, GROB is the DC at San Jose State, Marrone is a position coach in the NFL though would be a head coach there if he wished & Shafer was briefly a DC at a peer school. I guess we should just be happy albeit with a bit of trepidation that we have a coach that is so well thought of.

If you think your new incoming coach will be successful and in demand and may bolt you sign him up for the longest contract with a big buyout so if he gets an offer in a year or two you get much $$$$$in return. Selling great coaches could end up being a lucrative business...just need to be able to identify up and coming coaching talent and to be legally sharp as to contract structuring. Eventually you will have enough to pay a really good coach looking for stability.

George DeLeone.

2060609.jpg

I gained about 2o pounds my freshman year in college from sbarro, god I miss it.

@CoachBabersCuse talking with an @SyracuseU trustee. This trustee happens to be a pretty good broadcaster, too!

Had a special guest at practice today. Thank you @miketirico for sharing your wisdom with the family! #OrangeLegend#OrangeIsTheNewFast

Tirico talking to Babers and also addressing players...tell me when a BoT ever did that? (complete tweets by OX in daily articles).

How many times have I mentioned in threads about Torico being on the BoT and Wildhack at AD. These guys understand what they need to do and who they need to convince when the time comes to renegotiate DFBs contract. Have faith in these new guys even given past evidence!

Last edited:
You can think whatever you want regarding the playoffs but I don't forsee that thought ever entering my head because its completely pointless in my opinion. Final Four expectations for the basketball team this year, sure! Football team winning 11 games and the ACC, not a chance.

What other power 5 schools have a worse footprint? Basically every school is within that distance to similar states or for many, much better ones like GA/FL/TX/CA.

What makes it undesirable, seriously? Do you still live there? I sure don't and neither do a . . . . ton of people given the population continues to dwindle. I imagine the majority of the people on this board no longer do and have no desire to ever go back.
Is your name J Slater cause you're just trolling with this now​

@CoachBabersCuse talking with an @SyracuseU trustee. This trustee happens to be a pretty good broadcaster, too!

Had a special guest at practice today. Thank you @miketirico for sharing your wisdom with the family! #OrangeLegend#OrangeIsTheNewFast

Tirico talking to Babers and also addressing players...tell me when a BoT ever did that? (complete tweets by OX in daily articles).

How many times have I mentioned in threads about Torico being on the BoT and Wildhack at AD. These guys understand what they need to do and who they need to convince when the time comes to renegotiate DFBs contract. Have faith in these new guys even given past evidence!

Has to be a positive for recruiting.

Why is Tirico imperative to Dino Babers? I don't get this part at all. Other than him being a celebrity BoT member (and arguably one with tremendous baggage), i don't get his involvement w the negotiation that would be unique to him. Wildhack I can understand but you could put me on the BoT and i would be able to communicate that "yeah this guy is pretty good, we need to re-up him at some point".

I feel like you are talking in tongue here. I appreciate the intel but am I missing something about Mike Tirico and the future of Dino Babers?

Why is Tirico imperative to Dino Babers? I don't get this part at all. Other than him being a celebrity BoT member (and arguably one with tremendous baggage), i don't get his involvement w the negotiation that would be unique to him. Wildhack I can understand but you could put me on the BoT and i would be able to communicate that "yeah this guy is pretty good, we need to re-up him at some point".

I feel like you are talking in tongue here. I appreciate the intel but am I missing something about Mike Tirico and the future of Dino Babers?

You are vastly overstating his baggage and underrating his understanding of what works in CFB.

Mike Tirico obviously has a very high profile in the world of television sports.

He will soon be the go to broadcaster for NBC Sports.

Kids watch him and know him.

Having him embrace Dino Babers is a good thing on many levels.

From all I have read, Mike's issues are in the distant past.

It seems that a pretty large percentage of high profile people in sports seem to stay in the area where they had their most success. I used to see it with a lot of the Bills players in Buffalo. Jim Kelly, Thurman, Tasker and a bunch of others all stayed in the area because in large part I think it made a lot of sense financially. They still had earning power within the community that they would not have had elsewhere. I believe that happens with coaching and specifically with someone like Coach Mac. Its actually kind of funny to see where our head coaches have ended up post-Syracuse while we fret about the future of Dino. Coach P is now a position coach at a peer school, GROB is the DC at San Jose State, Marrone is a position coach in the NFL though would be a head coach there if he wished & Shafer was briefly a DC at a peer school. I guess we should just be happy albeit with a bit of trepidation that we have a coach that is so well thought of.

I think that's a fair observation.

A smaller market like the Syracuse market can be a good one for coaches like Coach Mac. SU FB and SU BB are the only major league sports franchises in town. The head coach of the football team can have a major presence in the community - one that can afford both psychic and financial income.

I think Dino Babers can become a legendary figure in our community.

I don't think he can become legendary in places like Ann Arbor or Columbus or College Station or Baton Rouge.

I've read just about every reply on this thread. I would like to try to ease some minds about CDB going to Baylor.

I think there is only one reason a coach would go to Baylor right now and that's money. Drayton McLane, the Houston billionaire and owner of the Astros is the Baylor alum that everything goes through. He is more than willing to try and money whip whoever they decide they want. However, many of the influential people at that school are in face saving mode. The next HC is not going to get the same autonomy that Briles got and put the school in the position it currently finds itself right now. So a personal fat paycheck is really the only reason to go to Baylor right now.

Add in the FACT that the Big Fail, as it's known down here, is going to go under just as soon as the grant of rights expires. There is no way Baylor is more stable that SU. Baylor is also going to be a major rebuild after this season. Hell, the only semi legit team Baylor has played so far is an awful Texas team who is holding on to the Baylor win as a signature win for Strong. Baylor has some decent talent right now, but just about every highly recruited kid from the last class, transfered when Briles was fired and they can't get a kid to visit now much less want to play there.

Baylor is a toxic place right now, if a coach has something going on and is hearing his name come being mentioned for other jobs. Baylor may be used by an agent to try to generate interest or money. But that's a bluff I'm willing to call if I were an AD.

There's going to be plenty of good jobs open up soon, Baylor does not make that list!

http://deadspin.com/191242/here-are-those-tirico-stories-we-hinted-at-last-week

If those are overstated let me know. He's a creep. But if SU is ok with him as a BoT and he knows what works in CFB (i think money does and facilities but i'll take your word for it) then i'm ok with him ( i guess).

I'm aware of the story.

1992 is long time ago to say someone is a "creep" in the present tense. How about "did some creepy things 25 years ago, but has for all appearances lived a pretty ethical and morally upright since then"? And it certainly doesn't constitute as "tremendous" (in my opinion) but go ahead and share your history from 25 years ago (we'll wait).

Mike Tirico obviously has a very high profile in the world of television sports.

He will soon be the go to broadcaster for NBC Sports.

Kids watch him and know him.

Having him embrace Dino Babers is a good thing on many levels.

From all I have read, Mike's issues are in the distant past.
Mike roomed with a good friend. Bleeds orange loves the new admin and dino.

Dino has huge support. He may not get more than 4m here ever but he would have a hard time finding the solid support that Syracuse offers in a very stable environment anyplace else.
Our Chancellor is as good as they come
Whit is here for as long as he wants
Bot is solid

Dino would really have to be offered an amazing opportunity to leave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online