Don't shoot the messenger... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Don't shoot the messenger...

Ugh. Wow. I give up.

If Dino has success here/is happy and leaves for 5 million because a $2.5 million contract that escalates after 3 years is not enough, then 2 things:

#1. Screw that. See ya

#2. 80% chance he'll find the grass is not greener on the other side. THAT school will expect at least 10 wins a year with major bowls year in and year out. Anything less and he'll begin to feel the administration and fan base foot on his back

That's why it's foolish just to leave for more money

Facilities are no longer an issue.

Dino already took less to come here
Look, I'm just now getting caught up on the thread, but since you quoted me (your response doesn't seem pointed at me directly, but more the collective group), I'll respond. $5M/year as compared to $2.5M/year is not even close to insignificant. Granted we're talking about millions here, but that's irrelevant. Dino made $173,000/yr to coach Eastern Illinois. He made $400,000 w/ incentives that would have landed him somewhere around $500,000 total in his last season with Bowling Green. Dino is 55 years old and unfortunately, his peak earnings years are arriving now. While $2.5M seems like quite the pay bump, first and foremost to him and his family has to be protecting them financially. I absolutely wouldn't fault the guy for taking a jump at a $5M salary; considering this was his first big contract.

I openly stated that I thought that even if Syracuse were able to match a salary of that magnitude, it'd merely be a band-aid if a big time program came calling. I don't think Dino would leave SU to coach a peer school. But if a Blue Blood program called with a significant pay bump within the next year or two, he's gone. I don't know why any of us would be upset with him at all.

To comment on your point #2, the head coaches that wouldn't be willing to take on that challenge are rare. Competitiveness is ingrained in their being. Being tentative and doubting their abilities wouldn't have pushed them that far. So I doubt the risk you laid out, would ever outweigh the potential reward in any P5 coaches mind.

Lastly, how can you say the facilities are no longer an issue? Did you see that locker room? Has construction on the Dome renovation begun? Yes, they have a shiny new IPF, but that pales in comparison to what most other P5 programs offer.

Money isn't everything.

Agreed.

Plus, if you can get close to a number one of those schools offer AND he likes some of the other things going on here? Not a done deal.

We are NOT getting close to a figure that could be offered by a Michigan or Alabama or LSU or Texas etc...

I love your optimism. Frankly, I hope Orijinal's expectations are matched and 8 and 9 win seasons become the norm around here.

I also hope that, if we do start to experience that kind of success and someone dangles a multiple of what we can pay, that Babers says, "Nope. I'm good."

I think you guys are delusional for thinking that but please bookmark this post and, if it comes to pass, throw it back in my face with interest. I would be thrilled.

You can think whatever you want regarding the playoffs but I don't forsee that thought ever entering my head because its completely pointless in my opinion. Final Four expectations for the basketball team this year, sure! Football team winning 11 games and the ACC, not a chance.

What other power 5 schools have a worse footprint? Basically every school is within that distance to similar states or for many, much better ones like GA/FL/TX/CA.

What makes it undesirable, seriously? Do you still live there? I sure don't and neither do a . . . . ton of people given the population continues to dwindle. I imagine the majority of the people on this board no longer do and have no desire to ever go back.

I disagree with you. I left CNY for a job with an office that was important to my career. But, my family remains and finds the lifestyle very enjoyable. It is easy to get around - there is culture - the outdoors life is as good as it gets - and we have great public schools and we have major league BB and FB. Don't give up on Syracuse, NY and the surrounding areas so fast.

The SU Football Program has a long, proud history.

It is now being afforded resources that have never been available in the past.

I believe that we have another 1987 season in the future.

Agreed.

We are NOT getting close to a figure that could be offered by a Michigan or Alabama or LSU or Texas etc...

I love your optimism. Frankly, I hope Orijinal's expectations are matched and 8 and 9 win seasons become the norm around here.

I also hope that, if we do start to experience that kind of success and someone dangles a multiple of what we can pay, that Babers says, "Nope. I'm good."

I think you guys are delusional for thinking that but please bookmark this post and, if it comes to pass, throw it back in my face with interest. I would be thrilled.

Jim Boeheim probably makes less money than most of his contemporaries. And that has been the case for a long time.

But, he likes CNY and the lifestyle it affords. And he likes the security that he has had for so many years. And he's not alone.

Pasqualoni had chances to leave but stayed. Robinson loved it in CNY after having been all over the country. Shafer loved it in CNY. Coach Mac loved it in CNY - he came back and probably regrets leaving. The only coach who seemed intent on leaving was Marrone and that was in my opinion prompted by his distaste for recruiting/coaching 17-18 year old kids.

Coaches like coaching in Syracuse.

Syracuse University affords the kind of security that schools like Texas, Georgia, Nebraska and Michigan do not afford. I would rather stay in a community for 20 years at $2.5 million than receive $5 million with an expectation that I will a NC or be gone in two or three years.

Charlie Strong is a solid coach and after three years he is likely gone. Last year Mark Richt of GA went 9-3 and won a bowl game - and was fired.

I don't think we will ever see that kind of approach at SU and I have to believe that that is an important factor for a man who is now 55 years old and has been on the road for nearly 30 years.

I hope so at least.

Last edited:
Jim Boeheim probably makes less money than most of his contemporaries. And that has been the case for a long time.

But, he likes CNY and the lifestyle it affords.
And he likes the security that he has had for so many years. And he's not alone.

Pasqualoni had chances to leave but stayed. Robinson loved it in CNY after having been all over the country. Shafer loved it in CNY. Coach Mac loved it in CNY - he came back and probably regrets leaving. The only coach who seemed intent on leaving was Marrone and that was in my opinion prompted by his distaste for recruiting/coaching 17-18 year old kids.

Syracuse University affords the kind of security that schools like Texas, Georgia, Nebraska and Michigan do not afford. I would rather stay in a community for 20 years at $2.5 million than receive $5 million with an expectation that I will a NC or be gone.

Charlie Strong is a solid coach and after three years he is likely gone. Mark Richt of GA went 9-3 and won a bowl game - and was fired.

I don't think we will ever see that kind of approach at SU and I have to believe that that is an important factor for a man who is now 55 years old and has been on the road for nearly 30 years.

I hope so at least.

I hope you're right. This is the path I would follow. And you see guys like Fedora at UNC sit there and build as opposed to going to the SEC meat grinder. There is a way.

I hope you're right. This is the path I would follow. And you see guys like Fedora at UNC sit there and build as opposed to going to the SEC meat grinder. There is a way.
I agree and who says that we won't be willing or able to pay Dino 4-5M after year three of his contract/rebuild?

In the meantime...maybe we should lock this paranoid BS up.

Boy Gerrg lived it in CNY? I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that we were the ONLY program to offer him a HC gig.

It's pretty easy to stick around when you're not a very good coach and not getting offers from the Stanford's and Michigan's of the world. And it's foolish to pin hopes on DMFB staying because he "likes CNY"or because he wouldn't be game for turning around a Texas or USC. And if he leaves, you better believe he's going to talk his assistants with him.

Boy Gerrg lived it in CNY? I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that we were the ONLY program to offer him a HC gig.

It's pretty easy to stick around when you're not a very good coach and not getting offers from the Stanford's and Michigan's of the world. And it's foolish to pin hopes on DMFB staying because he "likes CNY"or because he wouldn't be game for turning around a Texas or USC. And if he leaves, you better believe he's going to talk his assistants with him.

I think you're missing the point.

The Robinson family truly loved CNY.

In fact, Greg's son continues to live in the Syracuse area.

He enjoyed the lifestyle, the beauty of the area and he really liked the school

None of that had anything to do with his success rate or how the team played on the field.

For some/many, the money is the only factor. For some money is not the deciding factor. Apparently money was not the deciding factor for Dino when he took the Syracuse position.

I think you're missing the point.

The Robinson family truly loved CNY.

In fact, Greg's son continues to live in the Syracuse area.

He enjoyed the lifestyle, the beauty of the area and he really liked the school

None of that had anything to do with his success rate or how the team played on the field.

For some/many, the money is the only factor. For some money is not the deciding factor. Apparently money was not the deciding factor for Dino when he took the Syracuse position.

I understand your point. MY point is that every coach LOVES where they are... until they get a better opportunity elsewhere. We will never know with Gerg though because he was the worst head coach in FCS history.

On another note, you've got to be kidding with "Pasqualonie had other opportunities but I can't talk about it."

I understand your point. MY point is that every coach LOVES where they are... until they get a better opportunity elsewhere. We will never know with Gerg though because he was the worst head coach in FCS history.

On another note, you've got to be kidding with "Pasqualonie had other opportunities but I can't talk about it."

When P was on his prime here, why would he have NOT gotten other opportunities? I am sure he did and I am by no means a diehard P guy. He had some really good years here regardless of what some may think

Please expand on this.

There was some chatter that ND nibbled around Coach P leading into the 1997 season (L.Holtz was forced out). The Irish ultimately elevated Bob Davie.

For those that don't remember, at that juncture, Coach P had won 58 games in his first 7 years at SU (including 4 seasons with 9+ wins). He had a dynamic/attractive freeze option offense and we were 4-0 in bowl games.

We were, honestly, a program to admire in college football (I swear). We had wins over, among others, an eventual SEC Champ Florida, Texas, Colorado (good/great team), Ohio State, Maryland, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, etc. (the Miami Hurricanes were his kryptonite, however).

If I had to offer a program that we were equivalent to in modern times, I'd say we were like Georgia under Mark Richt (not quite exact, perhaps a bit below that, but I think you get my drift). Quite good, but not great. We had almost everything needed to win 10 games a year, except IMHO, an above-average offensive line.

The sporting landscape was different back them, at least to some degree.

Some/many of the SU fanbase complained about Coach P. In those days, 10-win seasons were NOT seen as bad, like they can be today with the over saturation of media coverage, especially at the bigger schools. So, Coach P likely had some serious feelers from programs of great ilk. But Notre Dame was definitely on that list.

I don't think he interviewed for the gig, at least not to my recollection. He was in a good place with some serious mojo going. And Donovan McNabb was about to set foot on campus for the first time.

Exciting times they were.

When P was on his prime here, why would he have NOT gotten other opportunities? I am sure he did and I am by no means a diehard P guy. He had some really good years here regardless of what some may think

Wouldn't surprise me at all that he received other offers in the 90s.

Also didn't surprise me that he stayed. When you've probably seen less naked women than Millhouse, and an attractive lady follows you from the grocery store to the parking lot of your job and says "you're taking me on a date you mother f***er", you probably stick around.

There was some chatter that ND nibbled around Coach P leading into the 1997 season (L.Holtz was forced out). The Irish ultimately elevated Bob Davie.

For those that don't remember, at that juncture, Coach P had won 58 games in his first 7 years at SU (including 4 seasons with 9+ wins). He had a dynamic/attractive freeze option offense and we were 4-0 in bowl games.

We were, honestly, a program to admire in college football (I swear). We had wins over, among others, an eventual SEC Champ Florida, Texas, Colorado (good/great team), Ohio State, Maryland, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, etc. (the Miami Hurricanes were his kryptonite, however).

If I had to offer a program that we were equivalent to in modern times, I'd say we were like Georgia under Mark Richt (not quite exact, perhaps a bit below that, but I think you get my drift). Quite good, but not great. We had almost everything needed to win 10 games a year, except IMHO, an above-average offensive line.

The sporting landscape was different back them, at least to some degree.

Some/many of the SU fanbase complained about Coach P. In those days, 10-win seasons were NOT seen as bad, like they can be today with the over saturation of media coverage, especially at the bigger schools. So, Coach P likely had some serious feelers from programs of great ilk. But Notre Dame was definitely on that list.

I don't think he interviewed for the gig, at least not to my recollection. He was in a good place with some serious mojo going. And Donovan McNabb was about to set foot on campus for the first time.

Exciting times they were.

If a coach isn't looking for a new job and has inquiries from other schools, those inquiries get squashed pretty quickly unless they are leveraging for a better deal at their current position. Takes two to tango. Don't think P had much interest in this type of gamesmanship, he is/was the ultimate company man to a fault, he probably should have made more of s stink that SU continue to invest in the program because it ultimately caught up with him, lack of facilities, compensation for assistants, etc. I just think the University and the new AD was nieve to how bad it could actually get. I also think P could have used some updating on the systems as well...

The only thing I've ever read about another school being interested in P was when ND abruptly fired O'Leary and then brought Ty Willingham in for an interview. Supposedly if TW turned them down, P would be the next man up.

That's fair. I'm sure he got offered. But the "I can't comment" line is great.

I hope so at least.

You and me, both.

I hope that Dino gets this thing turned all the way around and, once he does, he decides to become a lifer...

Time will tell - on both things...

mike mularkey is an nfl head coach. no job offer will ever surprise me again

the irony with P is the only job, during his salad days, he would have had a hard time saying no to is Penn St. If Joe Pa had quit in like 1998 or so, Coach P would have been the next HC of Penn St. That would have been an interesting time for sure because i'm not sure who in 1998 would have taken over the reigns here. Would Coach Mac done a second tour at that point (he would have been 68 so prob no).

That would have been an interesting time for sure because i'm not sure who in 1998 would have taken over the reigns here.

George DeLeone.

2060609.jpg

This whole thread and articles saying hes ALREADY a coaching candidate for vacancies are absurd. God, the Cuse football fanbase is so scorned.

But, he likes CNY and the lifestyle it affords. And he likes the security that he has had for so many years. And he's not alone.

Syracuse University affords the kind of security that schools like Texas, Georgia, Nebraska and Michigan do not afford. I would rather stay in a community for 20 years at $2.5 million than receive $5 million with an expectation that I will a NC or be gone in two or three years.

Charlie Strong is a solid coach and after three years he is likely gone. Last year Mark Richt of GA went 9-3 and won a bowl game - and was fired.

I hope so at least.

Coaches love coaching wherever they are...until they're not.

I hope so at least.
Yes, yes, and yes. Money should never be the only consideration. Sometimes it is for coaches unfortunately. But the smart ones know it is about money ...and terms ...and the people you work with, and time and place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom