Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

Jeez we could be out 3 potential recruits this weekend.

Steve is an extremely smart, Christian kid and I trust his decision. It's tough being pulled in different directions with everyone telling you they want you. He is smart to weed through the real and fake and will go with his gut feeling. I will be watching him play wherever he decides :) great family who raised a great son!

You are a great Mom and a wise woman Kelly.

Jeez we could be out 3 potential recruits this weekend.

It's recruiting. I don't like it but that's the reality of it as it is now. And it isn't just us. This is why I really would like an early signing period. It would get rid of some of this "corporate raider" mentality in recruiting.

Just a reminder if he does flip stay classy or don't post.

Y
The "gotta do what's best for me" could have to do with the 20 tweets he's received from the creepy Florida fan in the past 5 hours.
Yeah anyway! What's that dudes story?!

#Hardnosed said:
The "gotta do what's best for me" could have to do with the 20 tweets he's received from the creepy Florida fan in the past 5 hours.

You realize we have creepy fans that tweet kids too?

CuseLegacy said:
It's recruiting. I don't like it but that's the reality of it as it is now. And it isn't just us. This is why I really would like an early signing period. It would get rid of some of this "corporate raider" mentality in recruiting. Just a reminder if he does flip stay classy or don't post.

Staying classy is one thing and should be done. But if he flips it's another reason parents shouldn't post on these sites, especially before they commit.

You realize we have creepy fans that tweet kids too?

Eh, he's sending him pictures of girls wearing tiny florida bathing suits and stuff. A little more than I've seen out of our fans I'd say.

rrlbees said:
Staying classy is one thing and should be done. But if he flips it's another reason parents shouldn't post on these sites, especially before they commit.

Would love to hear why? It's been fun getting to know them.

TheCusian said:
Would love to hear why? It's been fun getting to know them.

One, because there will be fans that aren't classy. Two, fans get comfy with a parent poster and take everything they say as fact when in reality, anything can change in recruiting. Just not a good thing and why most don't do it. Parents are in a very very tough spot. Look at the basketball board. People were in love with BJs dad. Great guy and BJ became someone everyone said was going to be great. Not because they really knew, but because of all of the Dads posts talking about his hard work and development. Now it's ugly. People ripping the kid and some telling him to transfer. It's tough for parents when things don't go right. Better to just stay away from the get go.

Last edited:
Libero2 said:
And Steven did commit to us. His LOI isn't signed, but that's a different thing altogether

Commit as in signed LOI. Verbals mean nothing.

rrlbees said:
One, because there will be fans that aren't classy. Two, fans get comfy with a parent poster and take everything they say as fact when in reality, anything can change in recruiting. Just not a good thing and why most don't do it. Parents are in a very very tough spot. Look T the basketball board. People were in love with BJs dad. Great guy and BJS became someone everyone said was going to be great. Not because they really knew, but because of all of the Dads posts talking about his hard work and development. Now it's ugly. People ripping the kid and some telling him to transfer. It's tough for parents when things don't go right. Better to just stay away from the get go.

I get that. Can't control anyone's response on a message board - and you're right, someone will say something stupid. I just appreciate the insight into the process - and more importantly, getting to know the families a little. For me, getting to know his Dad has made me less likely to freak out should he choose Florida.

And for the record - I think he will stay a Syracuse commit. LOI signed. ;).

TheCusian said:
I get that. Can't control anyone's response on a message board - and you're right, someone will say something stupid. I just appreciate the insight into the process - and more importantly, getting to know the families a little. For me, getting to know his Dad has made me less likely to freak out should he choose Florida. And for the record - I think he will stay a Syracuse commit. LOI signed. ;).

You're looking at it from a fans standpoint. I'm more looking at it from a parent. We've had plenty of parents "disappear" over the years. Probably for good reason.

I've always been surprised at how well they've recruited until this year givin their recent struggles. Yes they are a big name program and in the SEC but living in Gainesville never remotely interested me and it's not as if UF is known as a great academic option.

As mentioned, UF is ranked higher than Syracuse academically by 10+ on every major sites' rankings list. While the SEC isn't known for its academic prowess, UF is a top 15 public university and second only to Vanderbilt. I don't know why you would be surprised at our recruiting success either, when we've won 3 national championships, have 3 Heisman winners, and have produced NFL greats, like Emmitt Smith. The state of Florida is also the #1 recruiting hotbed in the country, so it also shouldn't be shocking that we get great classes. Gainesville is also a renowned college town, despite how sketchy downtown is.

That being said, I don't know much about this guy, and obviously, UF offering him late and preferring him as an offensive, rather than defensive, player might make this a long shot for us. However, crazier things have happened. UF can offer him early PT, bigger exposure, and three-four years in Florida sounds a lot more appealing weather-wise than New York. If the kid just likes you guys more, though, than that's awesome. I can always appreciate kids who commit to programs because they fell in love with it.

As mentioned, UF is ranked higher than Syracuse academically by 10+ on every major sites' rankings list. While the SEC isn't known for its academic prowess, UF is a top 15 public university and second only to Vanderbilt. I don't know why you would be surprised at our recruiting success either, when we've won 3 national championships, have 3 Heisman winners, and have produced NFL greats, like Emmitt Smith. The state of Florida is also the #1 recruiting hotbed in the country, so it also shouldn't be shocking that we get great classes. Gainesville is also a renowned college town, despite how sketchy downtown is.

That being said, I don't know much about this guy, and obviously, UF offering him late and preferring him as an offensive, rather than defensive, player might make this a long shot for us. However, crazier things have happened. UF can offer him early PT, bigger exposure, and three-four years in Florida sounds a lot more appealing weather-wise than New York. If the kid just likes you guys more, though, than that's awesome. I can always appreciate kids who commit to programs because they fell in love with it.

54350805.jpg

You can thank your mods for letting me in then, man. Honestly, I just came to read the 20+ pages on this recruit because I knew nothing about him and figured the board of the school he's committed to would have all the info.
He is a good kid from a good family. We are obviously hoping he remains committed. He is making a huge decision and he should take his time. I am sure your coaches have done a great job convincing him that UF is the place for him, and we know our coaches have done a great job convincing him SU is the right place. At the end of the day, it sounds like he has two very good schools that want him to join their programs.

You can thank your mods for letting me in then, man. Honestly, I just came to read the 20+ pages on this recruit because I knew nothing about him and figured the board of the school he's committed to would have all the info.
Gator welcome to the board...we are trying to get our program back into the Top 25 and kids like Steven Clark will help us get there. If he chooses UF then good luck to him. We think he'll play earlier with us. We should know more within a few days. I hope our schools to meet up again in FB within the next decade.