Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

he gone anyway but i do wish we had last coaching visit.

I honestly have no idea which way he is leaning at this point. I thought he was all Florida after his visit, but now...:noidea:.
I know the coaches will give him the hard sell on the family and position pitches. We'll find out in a couple days.

"He gone" is what Ken "Hawk" Harrelson says when someone strikes out against the White Sox. Man I hate the White Sox.

0star.gif
ThumbsUp.gif
ThumbsDwn.gif

“At the end of the day faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don't really expect it. It's like one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. And it's not so important happy ever after, just that its happy right now. See once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you.”

Their site is pretty informative. Some of the posters are saying what makes these schools so appealing is that they can recruit anyone and back it up. One guy talks about how urban did it with the added benefit that he can coach also which is what seperates what ole miss does. They can recruit but don't have the coaching power to back it up.
I never really understood what makes the sec programs so much more appealing until I was at auburn and saw what they can offer. our coaches need to tell these kids that the sparkle of their facilities will wear off and they will only be a number there. Here they will be kings and will always be in the Syracuse family.

It's not so much about just being a number there. You can be a number anywhere if you don't produce. We've had kids that came here that were pretty heavily recruited that never even played because they just couldn't put it together. It really comes down to whether you want to walk away from a coaching staff that recruited you to play the position that you want to play, for a DL coach that has put kids in the pros, at a program that is known for taking the time to develop kids that aren't as heavily recruited, in favor of a coaching staff that you don't have much relationship with that is scrambling to fill slots after recently being hired, and will recruit over you next year (no if about it). We'll recruit other DT's too, but in all likelihood they are going to be kids that will take a year or two to really be ready to play, like most of our recruits are.

If the deciding factors are being at a SEC program and having nice weather, then he should go to Florida. If it's a football and academic decision, he should go to Syracuse. Realistically either school requires a flight to go see a game at for home games, and both schools play OOC games in the south, so I don't think the travel should be a big part of the equation.

IMO, he made the right decision the first time when he decided not to visit Florida and honor his commitment and my hope is that he comes back to that decision.

Developing under the radar kids is what we do. Our last 2 1st round picks, Pugh and Chandler Jones, were both 2 star recruits. Just something to keep in mind. Can any SEC program say that?

0star.gif
ThumbsUp.gif
ThumbsDwn.gif

“At the end of the day faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don't really expect it. It's like one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. And it's not so important happy ever after, just that its happy right now. See once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you.”
okay, so what are you saying now and how does it apply here?

"He gone" is what Ken "Hawk" Harrelson says when someone strikes out against the White Sox. Man I hate the White Sox.
White Sox are my favorite team. I tend to watch with the sound down. ;) I remember Harrelson doing Red Sox games on WSBK with Ned Martin when I was a kid. He wasn't as annoying as he is now.

I am a lifelong red sox fan and remember those days like they were yesterday. He didn't come off as such a jerk then. But he must have been.

It's not so much about just being a number there. You can be a number anywhere if you don't produce. We've had kids that came here that were pretty heavily recruited that never even played because they just couldn't put it together. It really comes down to whether you want to walk away from a coaching staff that recruited you to play the position that you want to play, for a DL coach that has put kids in the pros, at a program that is known for taking the time to develop kids that aren't as heavily recruited, in favor of a coaching staff that you don't have much relationship with that is scrambling to fill slots after recently being hired, and will recruit over you next year (no if about it). We'll recruit other DT's too, but in all likelihood they are going to be kids that will take a year or two to really be ready to play, like most of our recruits are.

If the deciding factors are being at a SEC program and having nice weather, then he should go to Florida. If it's a football and academic decision, he should go to Syracuse. Realistically either school requires a flight to go see a game at for home games, and both schools play OOC games in the south, so I don't think the travel should be a big part of the equation.

IMO, he made the right decision the first time when he decided not to visit Florida and honor his commitment and my hope is that he comes back to that decision.

Developing under the radar kids is what we do. Our last 2 1st round picks, Pugh and Chandler Jones, were both 2 star recruits. Just something to keep in mind. Can any SEC program say that?

I don't understand the logic behind your points for him picking Syracuse. First, as I've mentioned, and as you can look up for yourself, UF is a better academic institution than SU, so I don't think that would be a selling point I would find security in. Second, you said it yourself, you can be a number anywhere. If he has the talent both our staffs see in him, then he shouldn't be afraid of competition and will have his chance to prove himself to become a starter, same as at Syracuse. We have 8 OL players right now. 8. He's not just a number we're recruiting over next year, otherwise, we wouldn't be offering and saving it for then. By saying he would be, I think you're just essentially discrediting Clark as a player, saying he's lesser than the other UF players. Also, Alabama is a day drive to Florida. It's about 7 hours and change; we're neighbors.

Was just snooping around on the Florida site where they were breaking down their chances with offensive line recruits, and they had 5 kids listed with no Clark. Shows how he would be valued so much more if he chooses to stay committed here. Plus this is just why it's good for us that he pushed off making his "final" commitment. The longer it goes the better chance they fill up their OL haul. I know they have a few of them visiting this weekend, including Tyrone St. Louis who visited here last month.

Gator Bait said:
I don't understand the logic behind your points for him picking Syracuse. First, as I've mentioned, and as you can look up for yourself, UF is a better academic institution than SU, so I don't think that would be a selling point I would find security in. Second, you said it yourself, you can be a number anywhere. If he has the talent both our staffs see in him, then he shouldn't be afraid of competition and will have his chance to prove himself to become a starter, same as at Syracuse. We have 8 OL players right now. 8. He's not just a number we're recruiting over next year, otherwise, we wouldn't be offering and saving it for then. By saying he would be, I think you're just essentially discrediting Clark as a player, saying he's lesser than the other UF players. Also, Alabama is a day drive to Florida. It's about 7 hours and change; we're neighbors.

Depends on the major, no?

I think the major he wants would be a better suit at Florida honestly.

Either way isn't UF only like 10 spots ahead of us in academic rankings? I really wouldn't say they are clearly ahead of us, especially since our rankings have dropped with Cantor's vision for expansion. Svyerud is going to tighten up admission requirements, decrease enrollment, and our rankings should go back up.

A) If you think 2 full days of driving to see a game more than once a year is realistic, then I would love to start smoking whatever it is that you do

B) As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, Steve Clark's film is maybe a close second to any other DT recruit of ours I've ever seen. I've said that more than once. I've never discounted his talent. My point was, and it doesn't surprise me that you'd attempt to twist it into something it wasn't, is that Florida doesn't recruit kids of his profile. And that's a fact. 4 months ago he was committed to South Alabama. You tell me the last time Florida flipped a kid from a Sun Belt School...I won't hold my breath. According to Rivals, Florida has landed a sum total of 8 2 star recruits over the past TEN years, half of which were kickers. The only reason you're recruiting him now is because your new staff is scrambling to fill their class out and they're targeting kids that Florida typically doesn't target because those are the kids they think they have a shot to flip late in the game. That's not a knock on his talent, because I feel if he is given the time to develop, he's going to be something special. That's a knock on what your *latest* staff is trying to do.

C) The academic reputation is close. I'm pretty confident though that the average person would pick Syracuse ahead of Florida as far as academic reputation, regardless of what the latest US News and World Report says. But they're close.

That's true; I was looking at it overall. What's his major, though? I could be wrong, but I thought I read either here or somewhere else that he considered us a better fit academically. That's all I remember seeing, so I don't know if that was implying as a university or his major specifically. Either way, academics rarely matter. Byron Cowart preached his interest in broadcast journalism, grew up a Gator fan, and might end up at Auburn or FSU, so at the end of the day, it's usually football for recruits.

Maybe Clark is different, and I hope so. Whether he flips or sticks with you all, I want him to play for the school he chooses for the right reasons. Compared to what we deal with, like Cook and Lane trolling us last year before flipping to FSU, Clark is a saint. At least he's being upfront and trying to make the right decision for himself without playing games or intentionally trying to rile anyone up. You gotta' respect the kids in these situations who handle it maturely and don't turn it into an ego fest.

Totally Steven's decision and I respect it no matter what, but I feel like it shows desperation when a team comes in this late. It's like you weren't plan A or B and if they land plan A or B in next years recruiting class your basically screwed. But best of luck to Steven where ever he goes (hopefully Syracuse) and no grudges shall be held either way.

A) If you think 2 full days of driving to see a game more than once a year is realistic, then I would love to start smoking whatever it is that you do

B) As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, Steve Clark's film is maybe a close second to any other DT recruit of ours I've ever seen. I've said that more than once. I've never discounted his talent. My point was, and it doesn't surprise me that you'd attempt to twist it into something it wasn't, is that Florida doesn't recruit kids of his profile. And that's a fact. 4 months ago he was committed to South Alabama. You tell me the last time Florida flipped a kid from a Sun Belt School...I won't hold my breath. According to Rivals, Florida has landed a sum total of 8 2 star recruits over the past TEN years, half of which were kickers. The only reason you're recruiting him now is because your new staff is scrambling to fill their class out and they're targeting kids that Florida typically doesn't target because those are the kids they think they have a shot to flip late in the game. That's not a knock on his talent, because I feel if he is given the time to develop, he's going to be something special. That's a knock on what your *latest* staff is trying to do.

C) The academic reputation is close. I'm pretty confident though that the average person would pick Syracuse ahead of Florida as far as academic reputation, regardless of what the latest US News and World Report says. But they're close.

1.) And flying to New York every weekend is? Also, we have alumni from my fraternity do that all the time, every single weekend, and plenty of Gator boosters do the same. Whatever argument involving distance you are attempting to make, New York compared to the state directly below Alabama is a losing battle.

2.) Look who our coach is. Look who his last team was, what stars his players were there, and what they accomplished by the time he left. Then, get back to me. This is not Urban Meyer and his staff of 4/5 star recruiters. This is not Will Muschamp and his nearsightedness and stubbornness to recruit anyone outside the box because he tried to fill Urban's shoes and failed. This is Jim McElwain, who is a coach who has proven experience coaching 2-3 star talent into successful players. You know why he offered Clark? He sees in him exactly what he saw in his old players. That's why. You can spin it as desperation all you want, but it is what it is. I can't make you see it.

3.) It's not even US World and News. Check just about any site. Check world university rankings for all I care.

3.) It's not even US World and News. Check just about any site. Check world university rankings for all I care.

Why don't you share what programs UF ranks so highly in vs going off an arbitrary internet ranking. This shtick is growing tiresome.

1.) And flying to New York every weekend is? Also, we have alumni from my fraternity do that all the time, every single weekend, and plenty of Gator boosters do the same. Whatever argument involving distance you are attempting to make, New York compared to the state directly below Alabama is a losing battle.

2.) Look who our coach is. Look who his last team was, what stars his players were there, and what they accomplished by the time he left. Then, get back to me. This is not Urban Meyer and his staff of 4/5 star recruiters. This is not Will Muschamp and his nearsightedness and stubbornness to recruit anyone outside the box because he tried to fill Urban's shoes and failed. This is Jim McElwain, who is a coach who has proven experience coaching 2-3 star talent into successful players. You know why he offered Clark? He sees in him exactly what he saw in his old players. That's why. You can spin it as desperation all you want, but it is what it is. I can't make you see it.

The point on travel, was, that you're still taking a flight if you're going to UF or SU because driving to UF round trip isn't practical. I figured with your consensus higher ranked education you'd be able to figure that out.

This is Jim McElwain, who is a coach who has proven experience coaching 2-3 star talent into successful players. At Colorado State, in the Mountain West. If that's his model for the SEC, he won't be there long. The majority of his players he recruits are going to have to be physically ready to play, in general, 2/low 3 stars aren't. That's your high 3/4/5 stars, you know, the players that SEC programs are known for recruiting.