Duke Thoughts... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I don’t get is why we pass the ball to McLeod. It seems like there’s a concerted effort to get him touches early each half, and it never ends well. What are we trying to accomplish?

Once in a while, he dunks a couple of those, or gets a put-back, and then suddenly he is better on the defensive end for 5 minutes.

The problem is Moore and Freeman aren’t replacements for JT and bell. We desperately need an impact stud forward from the portal.

I get the sense that they're both awfully good, and at least 1, if not both, are likely to start. We haven't had a pair of recruits this good in 10 years.

I mean I know where you’re going but I like Copeland as a bench change of pace. Def think Benny can go back to starting if only to help keep it simple, better rebounding.

OK, I can agree with that. You see my point about splitting up the shooters, though, right? If both are not on, Taylor gives us defensive rebounds, but that's all we get.

Put Benny out there will Bell, you have 2 pretty good athletes with complimentary skill sets, if Benny doesn't just camp out and settle for threes.

Then yes, you still have Copeland's change of pace, unpredictability, etc., and you you still have him paired with a shooter who he can kick it to, if he can't get to the rim.

His release is just too slow.

We need to set back screens, and have him start from one wing, run the base line, cut behind a single or double screen, and then either go to the corner, or cut across the lane to the opposite wing from where you started. That's what we ran for Cooney all the time.

Cutting through the lane after receiving a baseline screen is really disruptive of the defense, too, and makes them scramble a bit to cover the open man, usually with a switch. That, of course, can free up other guys.

I’m so sick of being on the bubble because we don’t capitalize on quad 1 games. Becoming a serious trend and issue over the past few years. Don’t want to hear another person tell me this team is young… there’s no such thing as a young team anymore with portal and NIL era. Clean up the turnovers let’s get serious lineups in knock down some threes and get the next Q1 opportunity there for the taking

I’m so sick of being on the bubble because we don’t capitalize on quad 1 games. Becoming a serious trend and issue over the past few years. Don’t want to hear another person tell me this team is young… there’s no such thing as a young team anymore with portal and NIL era. Clean up the turnovers let’s get serious lineups in knock down some threes and get the next Q1 opportunity there for the taking

This team is getting much better. Did you notice how Louisville replaced their coach with a former player, and went about 4-27 last year? We are doing very well, in terms of implementing a whole new culture and style of play. There appears to be really good player buy-in. We're seeing lots of guys play. We're seeing them get the hook and sit when they make mistakes, but we have a generally positive vibe around the team now.

Honestly, there’s a really easy explanation for it. Did you see the defense that Duke played against us? They had better players. They stopped us from attacking the rim and we can’t shoot. Game over. We look frazzled because they were shutting us down. It’s been like that for many years now. We need better, more well-rounded players.
i agree that lack of well rounded players lowers the celing on the team.

the scheme on offense is just so bad vs a competent team. a team like duke wont turn it over...and then there goes the scoring...

still, a lot of the problems SU has on offense are self-inflicted...

were all of the sloppy turnovers really because duke is better? or? for me it was mental, unforced errors.

either that or they were just passing the ball around timidly like no you do something no you do something etc

they just werent used to having less time and smaller windows to operate in...so they tend to panic ...

...idk...not seeing the vision on offense...what is the plan B? plan C? there isn't one...and you gotta know by now a team like Duke might lock you down on Defense...and shut down penetration...right?

and then on D... like in the 1st half...it was keystone cops on the help side defense and so many open layups/dunks...with comically bad help defense...or a guard trying to cover a dunking big...thats scheme more than talent. still i;d prefer that to the wide open 3s...so that was actually kindaaaa okay...shutting down the 3s was important but does that mean you must give up so many uncontested 2s? and then why in the 2nd give up uncontested 3s so easily?? the players are still not on the same page on defense a lot of the time.

then you have taylor trying to guard filipowski after halftime???? bucket after bucket after bucket...are you for real? and red stuck with it for a while.

copeland had a stinker but...red just kept him in ...all game basically...? like was he not watching the game? substitution patterns have been confusing this year ...

some of the issues are decision-making...moreso than talent. i still beleive in this roster's chances of elevating this year to a higher level of play.

for that to happen have to find a way to not lose their minds when they play a good team. it still hasnt happened yet. they are frazzled or nervous or something...when they play anyone decent. its like its a different team.

OK, I can agree with that. You see my point about splitting up the shooters, though, right? If both are not on, Taylor gives us defensive rebounds, but that's all we get.

Put Benny out there will Bell, you have 2 pretty good athletes with complimentary skill sets, if Benny doesn't just camp out and settle for threes.

Then yes, you still have Copeland's change of pace, unpredictability, etc., and you you still have him paired with a shooter who he can kick it to, if he can't get to the rim.
Agree with all of this. Makes a lot of sense and at this point, don’t see why you wouldn’t try it.

Agree with this except for being on the bubble, we haven’t been on the bubble since 2020.

I think Q was far from our biggest problem this game. he made some bad plays, but also made a bunch of good plays and I believe even made a couple of three's. To me, the biggest problems is our starting Forwards. Taylor plays hard, but does nothing offensively against decent teams-He seems intimidated and even missed 2 of 3 free throws. Bell has a very low B-Ball IQ. Sometimes his shooting is good enough to make up for it, but hasn't been for awhile. I like Benny and Cope the most of our forwards, but neither provides the perimeter threat that Taylor and Bell are supposed to, but haven't in a while. Obviously, the turnovers were the killers, leading to 26 Duke points.
yeah idk it was tough...the forwards were weak this game...

.i wouldve preferred taylor and benny...given how q and bell were playing this game...or even try with cuffe out there...he looked good.

it was just obvious that Q wasnt going to get it together in this one...but he played a lot...

All analysis aside, just a bummer… just can’t seem to put it together against the top tier teams. I can’t wait for Syracuse hoops to be there again, hopefully sooner than later. Loving the way Maliq is playing, shouting him out on another massive game.

Real talk, just as a general observation… is this Duke team even talented? Like in comparison to Zion & Barrett level teams this team seems like a squad of misfits bandits. Including a player with as jerky & spastic of a shot release I’ve ever seen, a player who refuses to shoot at all & an overweight white guy who looks like he plays in the 40 & over league at the Y. I feel like the level of talent on previous teams would obliterate this current Duke team.

Last edited:
This team is getting much better. Did you notice how Louisville replaced their coach with a former player, and went about 4-27 last year? We are doing very well, in terms of implementing a whole new culture and style of play. There appears to be really good player buy-in. We're seeing lots of guys play. We're seeing them get the hook and sit when they make mistakes, but we have a generally positive vibe around the team now.
Umm id rather compare this team to last years team than cherry pick a weird worst case comparison scenario. Louisville roster and coaching transition was nothing like ours

Agree with this except for being on the bubble, we haven’t been on the bubble since 2020.
True but last few years we were only not on bubble because we let q1 slip away. Remember Judah blowing 3 huge resume games last year

All analysis aside, just a bummer… just can’t seem to put it together against the top tier teams. I can’t wait for Syracuse hoops to be there again, hopefully sooner than later. Loving the way Maliq is playing, shout him again on another massive game.

Real talk, just as a general observation… is this Duke team even talented? Like in comparison to Zion & Barrett level teams this team seems like a squad of misfits bandits. Including a player with as jerky & spastic of a shot release I’ve ever seen, a player who refuses to shoot at all & an overweight white guy who looks like he plays in the 40 & over league at the Y. I feel like the level of talent on previous teams would obliterate this current Duke team.
yeah agreed ...the first 20 minutes Duke was poor, imo

that 7 of 7 from 3 was the ballgame...and impressive...but meh

one of the worst Duke teams I've seen in a while

but they do play smart and follow the plan very well. and they can get hot from 3.

plus filipowski seems legit.

so watch them make the final 4 hahah

My favorite play was when the Duke player slid across the floor with the ball in front of the ref and our bench, everyone on the bench made the travel motion, the ref swallowed the whistle, and the ball went the other way for a three.

At that point, Duke was only up by 2 or 3, and that started the run.

Duke obviously made the shots.

But the lack of whistle there didn't help.

Once again, the only way Syracuse beats a team with any talent is if the other team misses open threes.
Or in the x
Case of Pitt, has a historically awful free throw percentage on a large number of attempts

This team plays hard for a new coach who is implementing his style.
Once it gets going...it's an exciting brand of "push it" basketball.

The major problems this year seem to be the lack of a consistent outside scoring threat and a skilled rim protector/post player.
In other words...the failure to properly fill the slots of the two guys the Orange lost in the portal.

And that's taking nothing away from Maliq Brown who has played great at both ends.
But he should be doing it as the power forward.

We’ll struggle against any team with a passable half court offense. We have many flaws. we need to beat every team we are supposed to beat. I don’t expect us to beat #14 in country (although I’m not sold on Duke as we killed ourselves in a 3 minute stretch).

My thoughts are broader. They’re not about this game.

We used to be a power. We’re not anymore. Meanwhile, UConn is winning championships.

I hope Red can bring us back but it’s going to be hard in a conference built around UNC and Duke. We an ACC also ran. It’s sad, frustrating, and upsetting.

This team is fun, has shown glimpses, and can win some games. I will enjoy watching them play and hopefully do well.

I cannot wait for the day when we can rip Duke a new one. I hope it comes sooner than later. We’ve been getting slapped for too long.
We were a Joe and Jesse, and them being successful in Red's defensive system, away from winning last night. So, still a couple top-level players away from where we want to be.

If you think about it, Maliq scored on dunks, and Judah scored from the FT line.

We don't have shooters. Wide open clank after wide open clank. Feet set, sneaky pass from Q, wide open, uncontested, clank.

Before Duke went off from three, they were doing fine hitting mid range jumpers and floaters. They have a stable of shooters and complete players.

Brown with 11 dunks or layups, JJ with a couple nice floaters (really kept us close in the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd, and Judah w 5 makes (really hard, twisty, challenged type shots).

4 FGs from the rest of the team.

Duke had 11 FGs on that same metric (outside their top 3 FG makers).

We don't have enough complete basketball players. Flawed, as others have mentioned. Frustrating loss, bc the growth on D and rebounding was apparent, for a half at least.

Tying this game to past years isn’t helpful. Even tying this game to our other Q1 games isn’t really that helpful.

We are getting better but can’t overcome our flaws vs great teams yet. TO’s leading to easy 3s is probably the easiest to correct and the thing driving me the most crazy.

We’ll get one or two of these by the end of the year. But at Duke w those TO numbers isn’t going to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom