Duke / UNC observations | Syracusefan.com

Duke / UNC observations

Flora'cuse

Scout Team
Duke shot ... ... ...
5/22 from 3 (23%)
and
7/12 from the line (58%)

(which can only mean they will not miss Saturday)

and UNC deployed a 3/2 zone, a 1/3/1 zone and a 2/3 zone in the second half to confuse them.

I like our chances.

Biggest reason why they won was they outrebounded Duke 43-30 and Duke was unable to get any second chance points in the second half. It was basically shot up...miss...UNC rebound going the other way.

Duke also only got 12 FT attempts which is very low for that team

Go read their S C O U T board. It's exactly like our board, the names have just changed. They are tired, K doesn't use his bench, struggling offense...

Well, we out-rebounded Duke in the first game (37-29), mostly thanks to Grant and Christmas. [Yeah, I said 'we'.]
We're going to need a repeat performance out of those guys. Who knows what BMK can do right now.

Anyone know how many free throws Carolina shot? I know I could look it up but me lazy. My Duke friends are complaining bitterly about the disparity in fouls, as they did with our game.

Anyone know how many free throws Carolina shot? I know I could look it up but me lazy. My Duke friends are complaining bitterly about the disparity in fouls, as they did with our game.
They were 20-31 but started 1-8

1798197_605399896203317_812198409_n.jpg
Well, we out-rebounded Duke in the first game (37-29), mostly thanks to Grant and Christmas. [Yeah, I said 'we'.]
We're going to need a repeat performance out of those guys. Who knows what BMK can do right now.

Yeah, I said 'we'.

they were 20 for 31 for the game against dukes 7 for 12
Duke should understand you don't get to the line when you keep chucking up 3's same as it was with our game against them earlier...

Whenever Dawkins gets in the game tomorrow, we need to take advantage. He barely plays when the person hes guarding attacks on offense because he is not a good defender. If he comes in and guards trevor, Cj or Jerami they have to take advantage. North Carolina went at him last night when he was in the game and he barely played.

they were 20 for 31 for the game against dukes 7 for 12
Duke should understand you don't get to the line when you keep chucking up 3's same as it was with our game against them earlier...
I really don't think Duke gets that! At least the fans I have talked to don't. You know, when Duke goes ice cold for 9 minutes, that's why you lose a game, not because the foul calls are unequal. They were outplayed, plain and simple.

A huge part of Duke's offense seems to be getting wide open 3's off of offensive rebounds. They did get 11 offensive rebounds last night, but they really didn't seem to get the looks they are used to off those rebounds. UNC did a good job recovering.

That's it, now you're on my list.

Wait, you're in Ohio, you were already on it.

Duke shot ... ... ...
5/22 from 3 (23%)
and
7/12 from the line (58%)

(which can only mean they will not miss Saturday)

and UNC deployed a 3/2 zone, a 1/3/1 zone and a 2/3 zone in the second half to confuse them.

I like our chances.

i tend to see you 1st point more (they wont miss)

UNC also played man2man.

Go read their S C O U T board. It's exactly like our board, the names have just changed. They are tired, K doesn't use his bench, struggling offense...
Well if the coach with the 2nd most wins can't coach, why would you expect the coach with the most wins know how any better? It's just logical!

Duke needs a Rak Christmas like defender. They can't play interior defense that well, and have been playing a lineup of 4 shooters and Jabari Parker at the 5 a lot. This lineup can be exploited by any team with 2 decent big guys. Plumlee is a decent big guy, but he isn't as athletic as Jefferson. Jefferson can't stay out of foul trouble, and that hurts Duke. Parker's defense is really sub-par and can be exploited. In the NBA small forwards will eat Parker up on defense, but the kid will score a lot of points himself. Its why I compared him to Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson.

Ennis and Cooney I implore you!!!! Please, please, pleaseeeeeeee dont follow their guards into the paint!!!

Duke cannot beat us with 2 pointers.
I also implore the forwards to stay in their corner...give up alot of 3's from the corner
At least one of the BC OT 3's was from JG's side

Lets turn the Blue Devils ORANGE !!!!!!

i tend to see you 1st point more (they wont miss)

UNC also played man2man.

Yes they played man to man, but in the 2nd 1/2 the zone stymied Duke for like 5-8 min's (I forgot the actual amount of time but it was a lot). Once UNC went to zone, Duke missed a lot of 1 and done 3's.

And yes, my point was they will make more than 5 threes against us, I hope not, but people tend to get good looks against our zone, we dare them to shoot 3's, we feel they will die by the 3, it works most of the time, not all the time.

Go Orange

Duke has no idea how to score against a 1-3-1 zone. Duke was up by 11 when UNC was running straight man to man. Maryland deployed the same 1-3-1 zone and they lost to us by 1 on our home court.

The problem is Duke hasn't had time to practice against a 1-3-1 zone since it was Maryland on Saturday, @ GT on Tuesday, @ UNC on Thursday and Syracuse tomorrow.

Duke needs this week to end to rest and to understand how to effectively beat the 1-3-1 half court. I am fully confident we will beat UNC pretty badly at Cameron Indoor. We showed nothing in the final 10 minutes last night. Kudos to UNC for winning the game and for playing well, but I strongly think that Duke is the better team. Once we figure out the 1-3-1 we will be fine, and UNC will have to play man with us, and we scored pretty effortlessly against their man defense.

Also, I don't get the whole "Duke chucks threes" thing. yeah we shoot a lot of threes, but we drive the ball, a lot. Duke literally just completely lost everything in the final 10 minutes. We missed two easy lay-ups in that stretch, we weren't just bombing threes. Officiating is what it is in college basketball, the home team gets all the calls leaving the road team at a pretty strong disadvantage. I am sure tomorrow this entire board will be furious over all the calls we will be getting tomorrow, just like we were furious at the officiating last night.

I really don't see how we are going to win tomorrow, it's our 4th game in 8 days and it's pretty clear that even last night we were tired down the stretch.

Im ready for a new disturbingly graphic depiction of Otto giving the Blue Devil S&M treatment.

Make it happen!

Ennis and Cooney I implore you!!!! Please, please, pleaseeeeeeee dont follow their guards into the paint!!!

Duke cannot beat us with 2 pointers.

It's not just dribble penetration. Anytime the ball the goes to the high post Cooney and Ennis are like cats chasing catnip and lose eye contact with the shooters. In the time it takes them to turn to find the ball, it's already kicked back out to the 3-point line for an open look. This happened god knows how many times in the 2nd half vs Duke in the first game and there were no adjustments. Let's hope the coaches watched some film. If 15 3's become 15 2's... that's 15 points they don't score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom