Duke / UNC observations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke / UNC observations

Also, I don't get the whole "Duke chucks threes" thing...
It's not a "Duke chucks threes" thing, K is smart and Duke takes what you give them. We let people shoot threes, (more than I'd like). I'm just saying, I wish Duke only shot 23% from 3 against us, instead of the 46% they did. I also think SU is gonna win. It will be good to see what adjustments both coaches make.

BTW,
Duke is # 5 in 3 point fg's % at 40.9%
and tied at @ 17 in 3's per game @ 23

so they do jack a few, no?

(info from espn http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...m/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct )

We still calling Roy Williams a below-average coach?
Ole Roy coached a great game. That 1-3-1 zone and 3-2 zone confused the hell out of Duke. I don't think I've ever seen UNC play zone before. He must have got that off of some Beilein game films or something.

We still calling Roy Williams a below-average coach?

I like this one. Each of the past 2 years UNC has started poorly, people write Roy off as a coach, then he's gotten them together and at least made the NCAA tournament. This year they are trending for a pretty solid seed too. And Hairston would be what, at worst their second best player? probably their best.
Roy might know what he's doing, just a little bit.

Roy has used a zone a few times in the past couple of years. He still claims he knows nothing about Coaching it. :)

Yes Hairston was our best offensive player by a mile. BUT he mislead the Staff on what he had and hadn't done and got what he asked for. The decision not to ask for his re-instatement was made knowing the NCAA would not allow it after they found out what he had done.

Ole Roy coached a great game. That 1-3-1 zone and 3-2 zone confused the hell out of Duke. I don't think I've ever seen UNC play zone before. He must have got that off of some Beilein game films or something.

Roy has used a zone a few times in the past couple of years. He still claims he knows nothing about Coaching it. :)

Yes Hairston was our best offensive player by a mile. BUT he mislead the Staff on what he had and hadn't done and got what he asked for. The decision not to ask for his re-instatement was made knowing the NCAA would not allow it after they found out what he had done.

The 1-3-1 was one of Dean Smith's biggest weapons. I'm hard pressed to remember a UVa-UNC game when he didn't use it for at least one or two possessions. I guess Roy was on scouting trips when they were practicing it.

I like this one. Each of the past 2 years UNC has started poorly, people write Roy off as a coach, then he's gotten them together and at least made the NCAA tournament. This year they are trending for a pretty solid seed too. And Hairston would be what, at worst their second best player? probably their best.
Roy might know what he's doing, just a little bit.

If I were a slightly more obnoxious person, I'd bump my post from the day after our game with Carolina. (Thought they would start to win and maybe make an NCAA run.)

I was impressed by their pieces -- especially McAdoo -- even though they played poorly together that day (and Paige gave them very little). And Roy's good at what he does, no matter how infrequently he uses his timeouts.

I probably posted in that same thread, I'm not saying i foresaw a run like this, but I always thought they had a good shot at making the dance.

I was impressed by their pieces -- especially McAdoo -- even though they played poorly together that day (and Paige gave them very little). And Roy's good at what he does, no matter how infrequently he uses his timeouts.

the TO thing he probably learned from Dean I think? he was notorious for not using them and hoarding them till the end of the game. Also spending a lot of years as an assistant for Dean Smith is probably a good point in favor of Roy knowing what he is doing

The 1-3-1 was one of Dean Smith's biggest weapons. I'm hard pressed to remember a UVa-UNC game when he didn't use it for at least one or two possessions. I guess Roy was on scouting trips when they were practicing it.

Most likely he was conferring with the Conference refs on how to cheat NCSU of their next richly deserved reward. <w>

they were 20 for 31 for the game against dukes 7 for 12
Duke should understand you don't get to the line when you keep chucking up 3's same as it was with our game against them earlier...

Actually, they have gotten to do just that many times in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom