Dungey as the #2 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey as the #2

Fact is if he is a true number 2 that means if Hunt goes down he is your guy. You dont spend the year trying not to get your #2 guy on the field.

How'd that work out for Johnny Morant? We need to be more strategic with our long term assets.

If Hunt gets hurt, that's a different story.

Getting him some time (and performing well) could be useful in recruiting 2017 WRs,

Agree 100%. The dumbest thing would be to squander a fifth year of experienced eligibility to get him some mop up snaps this year.

He'll be just as experienced after one quarter of the first game his RF year as he will from any mop up duty action garnered this year. No thanks--I'd rather have that fifth year senior year.
I disagree, if he's your true #2, get him in where you can. Especially with this staff, don't stash him away for the future if there's any uncertainty he's your guy.

Your suggestion that red shirting him is better than getting him live snaps...even if it's just a few this year.

I'd be happy burning his redshirt if he only got 20-25 live snaps this year in mop up duty.

I don't think you truly appreciate the value in playing a limited number of live snaps - and I bet Lester lets him sling it when he's in.
Not all snaps are equal. Twenty five mop up snaps would be an absolute waste. Why on earth would we trade that he's somewhat more ready next season in a way that's really, really hard to measure for, say, maybe Nassib's production as a 5th year senior? I'm astounded people are valuing a scant amount of playing time now over real potential production.

If Dungey is a real talent, give him real playing time or redshirt him and leave the door open for high level quarterbacking for four years.

Wait, I know the argument that's coming - what if he leaves early for the NFL? What if he's so good, that last season never happens?

THAT'S FRIGGIN' FANTASTIC! I will roll the dice on that every time. Our boo hoo scenario in that case is that he played well enough after redshirting to be considered one of the 96 or whatever best QBs in the world. SIGN ME UP

We have two game tested QBs in Wilson and Long.:noidea:
Game tested in what way? They've proven very little during their time on the field. Granted...their poor performance wasn't all on them, but imo, they both have very ceilings.

How'd that work out for Johnny Morant? We need to be more strategic with our long term assets.

If Hunt gets hurt, that's a different story.
Three years in the league and coaching now

Would love to see us bring him back in some role

The way I see it is, he has shown enough to:
1) push Womack to WR
2) unseat a 3rd year player as the backup
3) instill enough confidence in the OC for him to make a public declaration that he can play this year

That tells me they like what they see. Get him as many live reps as possible.

I'm not against playing Dungey but all I'm saying is if Hunt starts to struggle this season and Dungey is playing well the time he does get we could have a QB controversy. Say we start off strong and go 3-1, but lose the next 3, you have to think the coaches start Dungey. Hoping that doesn't happen as I like Hunt but you have to think of situations that could occur it's part of the game.

RF2044 said:
Weigh that against the 20-25 snaps he could get in the first quarter of his first game next year--on what would undoubtedly be a bunch of handoffs? Not worth it to burn an entire year of eligibility if he's really as good as the coaches think. We need to be smarter with our talent.

Disagree completely. Do people not remember Drew Allen? What? You know the guy that looked like Dan Marino in practice and Dan Maffei in live action?

I'm sure this staff is well aware of that disaster. Get your guy and verify he's the guy with game action and go forward.

I disagree, if he's your true #2, get him in where you can. Especially with this staff, don't stash him away for the future if there's any uncertainty he's your guy.

Honest question--are you really suggesting you'd be willing to sacrifice his fifth year, when he'd be an experienced returning starter, for a handful of snaps in mop up duty this year? Assuming that Hunt doesn't get hurt, that would be a colossal waste / mismanagement of player eligibility.

I do not dispute that Dungey getting into some games might "accelerate" his learning curve a bit, and help him be a little more ready next year. But that "benefit" would be easily made up next year when Dungey might be the starter.

Weigh that against the 20-25 snaps he could get in the first quarter of his first game next year--on what would undoubtedly be a bunch of handoffs? Not worth it to burn an entire year of eligibility if he's really as good as the coaches think. We need to be smarter with our talent.
I agree with jake that it is a big difference actually, you get a number of snaps that are on tape and the kid gets a feel for the game to work on for an entire offseason rather than a week

Three years in the league and coaching now

Would love to see us bring him back in some role

And I would have really loved for Coach P not to have pissed away his first season of eligibility on a handful of snaps in the first few games of his true freshman season, and seen the team benefit from him being around for the fifth year senior season he got jobbed out of due to poor coaching decisions.

I agree with jake that it is a big difference actually, you get a number of snaps that are on tape and the kid gets a feel for the game to work on for an entire offseason rather than a week

Complete bunk if he is just getting a few mop up / handoff snaps.

BFD, he gets some film handing off the ball behind our third string OL.

AGAIN, I don't dispute that it might accelerate his deveopmental curve to some small degree, but is it worth pissing away an entire year of eligibility over? Nope.

Honest question--are you really suggesting you'd be willing to sacrifice his fifth year, when he'd be an experienced returning starter, for a handful of snaps in mop up duty this year? Assuming that Hunt doesn't get hurt, that would be a colossal waste / mismanagement of player eligibility.

I do not dispute that Dungey getting into some games might "accelerate" his learning curve a bit, and help him be a little more ready next year. But that "benefit" would be easily made up next year when Dungey might be the starter.
This is what I honestly believe.

This staff is being constantly told they're on the hot seat, might not even get a 4th year. So why stash what could be the future for what would be your 8th year as a staff.

The way I see it is, if he's your guy moving forward, absolutely play him when you can. Now 20 throws for the year in mop up? That's not a good decision. But if that number doubles, then without a doubt get him work.

5 throws a game and 10-15 snaps, every day I'll take it.

Disagree completely. Do people not remember Drew Allen? What? You know the guy that looked like Dan Marino in practice and Dan Maffei in live action?

I'm sure this staff is well aware of that disaster. Get your guy and verify he's the guy with game action and go forward.

Likewise, I disagree completely. Drew Allen was a fifth year guy who never starter before arriving here. Dungey is a first year guy who might start four years if given the opportunity. Not much of a comparison. You don't bungle a year of eligibility getting a guy a few token snaps, offsetting the value of that final year.

Would you rather have had Donovan McNabb as a true freshman instead of McNabb's fifth year?

Shafer has to coach for 2016, or else he won't be here in 2019. ;)

This is what I honestly believe.

This staff is being constantly told they're on the hot seat, might not even get a 4th year. So why stash what could be the future for what would be your 8th year as a staff.

The way I see it is, if he's your guy moving forward, absolutely play him when you can. Now 20 throws for the year in mop up? That's not a good decision. But if that number doubles, then without a doubt get him work.

Fair enough--agree to disagree [without being disagreeable].

do you want either starting the first game next year? We know that due to their in game experience.
I'd be comfortable with Long. I'm a believer. I think a lot of people are selling him short. He's actually an excellent case study - most freshmen shouldn't see live game action at quarterback. They just aren't ready. We saw glimpses of what he could be last season, and we saw how much he struggled. Even if Dungey is way, way better, he's at the very same real risks Long was exposed to. What's he really learning by coming in when outcomes are pretty much decided just to hand the ball off.
Game tested in what way? They've proven very little during their time on the field. Granted...their poor performance wasn't all on them, but imo, they both have very ceilings.
Glad you asked this question about what it means to be game tested. Long played in real games, with outcomes in doubt, and lead his team to a road win. Along the way he threw 165 passes, completed 89 for nearly 1000 yards, and had 6 total TDs between passing and rushing.

Some consider what he did to be dubious in terms of speaking to his game readiness.

On the other hand, we have some posters suggesting that Dungey playing mop up duty as a glorified hand off expert for the running backs gets him "game ready" for next season.

Hmm.

Complete bunk if he is just getting a few mop up / handoff snaps.

BFD, he gets some film handing off the ball behind our third string OL.

AGAIN, I don't dispute that it might accelerate his deveopmental curve to some small degree, but is it worth pissing away an entire year of eligibility over? Nope.

I dont think they are anticipating handoffs. From Lesters tone he fully expects there to be meaningful playing opportunity against our first few opponents