Dungey as the #2 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey as the #2

And if Hunt gets injured again...

are you OK with playing out the string with Wilson & Long and forgetting about bowl eligibility?

Or is Shafer still coaching for his job, and injuries won't buy him another pass?

If Hunt gets injured again, the equation changes.

And if Hunt stinks and we are out of bowl eligibility early in the season, the equation also changes. But if the opposite is true, then I'd rather see Hunt play than worry about developmental PT.

Your suggestion that red shirting him is better than getting him live snaps...even if it's just a few this year.

I'd be happy burning his redshirt if he only got 20-25 live snaps this year in mop up duty.

I don't think you truly appreciate the value in playing a limited number of live snaps - and I bet Lester lets him sling it when he's in.
I couldn't disagree more. We didn't do that with McNabb and that worked out just fine.

Disagree completely. Do people not remember Drew Allen? What? You know the guy that looked like Dan Marino in practice and Dan Maffei in live action?

I'm sure this staff is well aware of that disaster. Get your guy and verify he's the guy with game action and go forward.
yeah, because nothing says qb of the future more tha handing the ball to running backs in a blow out.

OttoinGrotto said:
What exactly are you disagreeing with? Is Dungey making an appearance in three games and completing five passes all season going to get him ready for 2016? I don't think it would do anything for him. Between Wilson and Long you've got over 200 pass attempts sitting on the bench. If PT makes a difference, they've got it all over Dungey. If we believe Dungey is the future and is better than both of those guys, let's get him in range of Wilson's 50 pass attempts at least.

We don't know if that's exactly what they are thinking or not. Could be max reps (blowouts either way) and maybe a series or two.

Shafer has to coach for 2016, or else he won't be here in 2019. ;)
apples and oranges. If Hunt got hurt, play him if he is the best option. Winning 52-0 against Rhode Island, nope.

My final word

Coaches clearly see him as the best option behind Hunt

No turning back now

That said, I hope he plays entire second half Friday ... And in a gun slinging role, not game manager role

We don't know if that's exactly what they are thinking or not. Could be max reps (blowouts either way) and maybe a series or two.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't get some regular time. With the way HCSS talks about him, I'm almost inclined to roll him out in front of Hunt...

If you can't decipher the difference between potentially having Nassib's record breaking senior season and our only good offense in a decade from the scant possibility of slightly increasing Dungey's readiness for 2016 thanks to mop up duty handoffs, I can't help you.
Nassib ran a Wing T offense in high school. There was no way he was getting snaps as a true frosh.
Having the game experience and tape for Dungey going into the Spring next year will help him be better prepared to take the reigns of the offense.

The only thing that I can say, is there is nothing like in game experience. It's different commanding a huddle in a game than in practice. It's different reading a defense where you don't your what you're going up against. Its different when thousands of people are watching.

I agree on not wasting his shirt so he can take a knee, but if he is going to run through some plays and be out for a few series it is most definitely worth it. It's about a sense of comfortableness, especially at QB, that leads to success. Some of that is natural, but some of it is also learned. If that gives Dungey any sort of jump in 2016, that is why you do it.
I completely agree that game experience helps. The question is, what constitutes a wasted season of eligibility?

To me, if Dungey gets enough snaps to tally 50 pass attempts, he probably has played enough to make a difference for how ready he may be to take they keys in 2016. I'm using passing attempts as a proxy for a lot of things - those 50 pass attempts probably happen over some 100+ plays, when how he performed actually mattered in determining the final outcome, and that's also enough passing attempts where he's likely thrown a TD or two and knows what it feels like to make a play that gets his team on the board.

If Dungey plays at all and has less than 50 pass attempts, I don't think it's done that much for him being better in 2016 than he would have gotten without that PT. Now we've lost the potential for a 5th year senior season. To me that's a waste, and exactly the kind of thing that really damages our football program.

How does having Dungey come in for mop up duty handoffs help us win now?

Let's hope It's mop up duty in the first 3 games and Dungey looks good. If we get to lsu and hunt struggles or gets hurt you now have an option. You get to usf a quarter into the game and are struggling you have an option. You get to the meat of our conference play and the offense can't move the ball, its time to take that option.

It sucks that Long got hurt because I feel like he can play but he did so what we're left with is a true frosh or wilson. I don't think wilson is the guy and long isn't avail to get a look at the moment. I want to win this year and worry aboutthe future in the future. May the best man, right now, win.

There is a big difference between playing in a game and appearing in a game. If he is actually playing some real action then fine. If he is just appearing in the game to kill time it would be asinine to burn his redshirt. Can't believe there are so many people here who do not get this.

No turning back now
YES, YES THERE IS! He hasn't played yet! We don't hit the "no turning back now" point until he gets in the game!

Nassib ran a Wing T offense in high school. There was no way he was getting snaps as a true frosh.
Having the game experience and tape for Dungey going into the Spring next year will help him be better prepared to take the reigns of the offense.
I have no idea why you mentioned Nassib.

Dungey needs tape of mop up duty handoffs in order to be better prepared next season?

Look, if that's true... he's not the answer.

OttoinGrotto said:
If you can't decipher the difference between potentially having Nassib's record breaking senior season and our only good offense in a decade from the scant possibility of slightly increasing Dungey's readiness for 2016 thanks to mop up duty handoffs, I can't help you.
Who said he's going to mop up and hand the ball off? Shafer has been head coach for two years. He's been an assistant many more. He's told the story numerous times of how he went threw multiple QBs in other jobs. He went threw 4 QBs last year alone. Hunt and Allen two years ago. They expect the #2 guy is going to get real snaps and they think Dungey best gives them the chance to win. Ju Why anyone would want to shitcan the season if hunt gets worse is beyond me.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between playing in a game and appearing in a game. If he is actually playing some real action then fine. If he is just appearing in the game to kill time it would be asinine to burn his redshirt. Can't believe there are so many people here who do not get this.
It's not that people don't get it, you can do more than hand off in mop up. Run the base offense and get used to the speed of the game at a live level. It's not black and white.

Let's hope It's mop up duty in the first 3 games and Dungey looks good. If we get to lsu and hunt struggles or gets hurt you now have an option. You get to usf a quarter into the game and are struggling you have an option. You get to the meat of our conference play and the offense can't move the ball, its time to take that option.

It sucks that Long got hurt because I feel like he can play but he did so what we're left with is a true frosh or wilson. I don't think wilson is the guy and long isn't avail to get a look at the moment. I want to win this year and worry aboutthe future in the future. May the best man, right now, win.
If Dungey plays at all these first few games, he's got to see time all season long or it's just a waste.

Nassib's redshirt freshman season makes sense as the model to me. Heck, I wanted to see more of him back then. That kind of playing time got him ready to start, I have no doubt. If that's what Dungey gets under his belt, I'm on board. If Hunt goes down and its like Long last season, where they feel Dungey is the best option to win, that's a completely different set of circumstances and obviously you play him.

Dungey is probably better prepared based on his high school experience to get the reps you so desperately wanted to see Nassib get in his rs frosh season.
That's why I bring up the Nassib comparison.

It's very obvious that the staff is excited about Dungey and his readiness to play NOW. When was the last time we heard stuff like that about a true freshman QB at SU? 21 years ago with McNabb? And yeah, I know McNabb redshirted.

Put me in the play Dungey meaningful snaps now camp, let's see what he's got, and let's pray he is as good as the staff seems to think he is. Game experience now better prepares him should he have to take over for Hunt later in the year. And meaningful game experience this year makes Dungey a better QB from the first game next year. And we desperately need to accelerate Dungey's development because we need to win NOW.

dasher said:
I couldn't disagree more. We didn't do that with McNabb and that worked out just fine.

No offense, but mcnabb came after mason, who came after graves, who came after philcox who came after McPherson.

Dungey comes after...

Different times and circumstances...not remotely a similar comparison.

I completely agree that game experience helps. The question is, what constitutes a wasted season of eligibility?

To me, if Dungey gets enough snaps to tally 50 pass attempts, he probably has played enough to make a difference for how ready he may be to take they keys in 2016. I'm using passing attempts as a proxy for a lot of things - those 50 pass attempts probably happen over some 100+ plays, when how he performed actually mattered in determining the final outcome, and that's also enough passing attempts where he's likely thrown a TD or two and knows what it feels like to make a play that gets his team on the board.

If Dungey plays at all and has less than 50 pass attempts, I don't think it's done that much for him being better in 2016 than he would have gotten without that PT. Now we've lost the potential for a 5th year senior season. To me that's a waste, and exactly the kind of thing that really damages our football program.

I would agree with some of that. I wouldn't necessarily put a certain number of pass attempts on it, where at some ARBITRARY POINT it will benefit him. Obviously the more "QB critical" situations he's in the better. The way I see it is more of a log curve, where 20 attempts is better than 5, but how much better is 50 attempts than 40?

Also, I don't think the staff will waste his redshirt just throw him out there to do handoffs, but that is something we will have to wait and see I guess...

It's very obvious that the staff is excited about Dungey and his readiness to play NOW. When was the last time we heard stuff like that about a true freshman QB at SU?
Last season, when people were saying the staff considered Long to be the #2 before his arm soreness.