Ed Cooley and Providence | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ed Cooley and Providence

I've live in Rhode Island just outside Providence for over 30 years. More than once Cooley said Providence is the only job for him. Providence is really good because of the transfers coming to a small school with limited diversity and and student body that's 60% female. Clearly, Cooley sells a great league, good facilities thanks to a great AD, and place with limited distractions. He clearly can recruit and that won't change so Providence will continue to be good in a strong league. I never thought I would see Providence with substantially better players than Syracuse. But that's the norm now.
Not sure what he is making but what happens if he gets an offer making double or triple his salary. He's like 52. Prime earning years and can set himself up in a great position for the future. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. This year might be his biggest opportunity.

I've live in Rhode Island just outside Providence for over 30 years. More than once Cooley said Providence is the only job for him. Providence is really good because of the transfers coming to a small school with limited diversity and and student body that's 60% female. Clearly, Cooley sells a great league, good facilities thanks to a great AD, and place with limited distractions. He clearly can recruit and that won't change so Providence will continue to be good in a strong league. I never thought I would see Providence with substantially better players than Syracuse. But that's the norm now.
Also grew up in RI, Ed Cooley lives in the same town as my parents lol.

Providence hasn’t recruited HS kids amazingly in the past couple of recruiting cycles (haven’t had a top 100 kid since 2018) but they’ve been doing well with transfers (except Goodine) and finding long term program fits.

Providence has really invested in Cooley and his program from the top down. Their new practice facility is really really nice. I would say the same tier as the Melo Center.

Not sure what he is making but what happens if he gets an offer making double or triple his salary. He's like 52. Prime earning years and can set himself up in a great position for the future. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. This year might be his biggest opportunity.

Not trolling but felt the need to chime in here. Cooley’s making around $3.5 million per year now. The aren’t the friars of old where Tom Welsh was using D3 facilities and making less than many top assistants. As others have mentioned he’s from Providence so he’s home here, and the facilities are now top notch. He also has stated he doesn’t want to coach into old age. Even if the ceiling is lower at PC than Cuse, it’s hard to imagine that he’d make a move unless it was a perfect situation. I don’t know that Cuse is currently that.

Not trolling but felt the need to chime in here. Cooley’s making around $3.5 million per year now. The aren’t the friars of old where Tom Welsh was using D3 facilities and making less than many top assistants. As others have mentioned he’s from Providence so he’s home here, and the facilities are now top notch. He also has stated he doesn’t want to coach into old age. Even if the ceiling is lower at PC than Cuse, it’s hard to imagine that he’d make a move unless it was a perfect situation. I don’t know that Cuse is currently that.
I think 3.5 is fairly competitive but you know the buzzards are going to be circling. Is PC ready to go to 4.5 or 5 if they need to?

I think 3.5 is fairly competitive but you know the buzzards are going to be circling. Is PC ready to go to 4.5 or 5 if they need to?
If he doesn’t plan to coach into old age, let’s say 5 more years doesn’t 500k or a million a year make you uproot everything including job security worth it? I wouldn’t leave if I were him knowing what we know about him and a mess he’d inherit here.

If he doesn’t plan to coach into old age, let’s say 5 more years doesn’t 500k or a million a year make you uproot everything including job security worth it? I wouldn’t leave if I were him knowing what we know about him and a mess he’d inherit here.

He’s made $20M-$25M (perhaps more) since becoming a HC so I don’t the extra moves the needle. As others have alluded to in other threads Cuse has been a bit of a fish out of water in the ACC so it’s likely a heavier lift than meets the eye. Not to say he’s not hungry at this stage but he’s certainly got a good thing going. Would likely take an absolutely perfect situation.

My H0T Takes: Goodine and Carey could never play. Carey was really fast though.

Quincy and Kadary can definitely play.

Woody showed signs that he might be able to play.

Bras was a role player and was in a good role here. Wish he stayed.

Kadary was also a great fit for how we play.

and Bennie looks more like Carey than Kadary.

Free Bennie the season is almost lost, or will be after Saturday. If he can’t contribute as much as JBA we should see that on the court.

I'm not sure I would call it weak. Providence's SOS is 50 and SOR is 5. They're 4-1 against Q1 and 4-1 against Q2. There's only a small handful of teams that have more than 4 Q1 wins at this point.
Their analytics are going to come out stellar with wins @Wisconsin and over Texas Tech. Plus a few
other top 20 wins at the time. One bad loss to UVa; one loss @Marquette in first game after starting
SG broke his finger, missing the last three and possibly two-three more weeks.

Oh ... psst ... they can play man-to-man AND zone defenses quite effectively.

Kev

Cooley hasn't had success in the tournament yet but he can flat out coach. PC's roster is not that impressive from a talent perspective. Not sure Cooley would leave Providence but he should be on our short list and I think he would crush it recruiting here.

Cooley hasn't had success in the tournament yet but he can flat out coach. PC's roster is not that impressive from a talent perspective. Not sure Cooley would leave Providence but he should be on our short list and I think he would crush it recruiting here.
This is the year for success in the tournament. His other teams weren’t that good.

I like Cooley, always have. But he’s not leaving PC which has a good program, but their legacy is not that of a Syracuse.
Besides, as the old saying goes; “You don’t want to be the guy, that replaces the guy. Rather, you wanna be the guy that replaces the guy, that replaced The Guy”.
I believe Red Autry, for better or worse, will be our next HC. JMHO

Cooley is great but our fans wouldn't be happy with what hes doing building the team with under the radar recruits and transfers.

If we really screw up the transition and hire an awful coach who tanks the program like a Robinson in football Cooley would be at the top of that list of safe guys to fix it.

I'm not sure I would call it weak. Providence's SOS is 50 and SOR is 5. They're 4-1 against Q1 and 4-1 against Q2. There's only a small handful of teams that have more than 4 Q1 wins at this point.
I think Cooley is a great coach. Not saying they’re not a good team either. But their gaudy record makes them look better than they are. They’re ranked 46 in KenPom. Their non-conference schedule was very favorable, outside of Wisconsin and Texas Tech, both of which they won. They lost to Virginia by 18. And they’ve squeaked by in a lot of close games.

OT, a bit, but what would it take to pull Few away from that little town that seems to attract talent from all over the country?

OT, a bit, but what would it take to pull Few away from that little town that seems to attract talent from all over the country?
I will tell you this, he is and will be a candidate for the job. Whether he chooses to take on a new challenge is yet to be seen because no one in America has it better than him, but he is going to be considered. I know that for a fact

I will tell you this, he is and will be a candidate for the job. Whether he chooses to take on a new challenge is yet to be seen because no one in America has it better than him, but he is going to be considered. I know that for a fact

Don't do us like that Bulldog!...

Mark Few a candidate for the Syracuse job? That would be shocking. Or do you mean Ed Cooley?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom