Either get on the Dino train or shut the hell up | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Either get on the Dino train or shut the hell up

Does anyone here think we are playing with IVY league guys? Yeah sure we have some talent deficiencies but I'm seeing alot of Grob style apologists around here. I know because I used to be one. This defense is crap. Don't have the talent to run it yet? Then don't. I get installing the offense now, it's a showcase for incoming recruits so even if it has some broken gears, enough of the machine is moving to impress. Defensively? Stop the enabling. Dino loses by alot of points when he loses and that's before he came here. Talent shows itself when the DB gets outran, outjumped, etc. What we have right now are parts of the field so wide freaking open that you can run a 3 run circus in all that real estate. That's a coaching problem. I like Dino very much, he has great personality and his offensive system is shown to work. I have serious reservations about our "He's wide open...again" defense. We don't have personnel to run a zone cover 2 then run a freaking man cover 2, figure it out. That's a coaches job. Does anyone remember how completely ineffective Grob's offenses were? Well some people realized pretty quick in year 1 of Gerg that he was in over his head. I'm worried that Dino has no idea how to contain the talent from an opposing P5 school. Just to be clear this isn't about this past Sat, I didn't see the game as I was at Vanderbilt stadium for my son's competition. I'm talking about the fact that some teams have us down 2-3 TDs in the first 5 freaking minutes of the game. Dino and Ward so far appear completely clueless how to stop the opposition. I hear people say well that's the defense we need to run our offense. Why? Why do we need a bend but don't break defense that allows other teams to wear us down, eat clock, and completely take over a game if our offense goes 3 and out more than twice? Why wouldn't a Shafer style defense that rattles teams not be better suited for the kind of shock and awe campaign that Dino wants to run?

This defense doesn't have the talent to run much of anything. Smaller and slower is smaller and slower.

Scott Shafer couldn't get his defense off the field the last two seasons either.

This defense doesn't have the talent to run much of anything. Smaller and slower is smaller and slower.

Scott Shafer couldn't get his defense off the field the last two seasons either.

We sure don't, the only thing we can really do is get creative with the schemes, mix up coverages, start sending more to the qb.

Here's my biggest problem: It seems way too often that we're checking out of plays and giving the defense a minute to catch their breath/lineup properly. It really seems to happen a lot more in the second half; we lose that lightning speed that we see in the 1st quarter.

Maybe not, but we didn't lose games with 55:00 minutes still on the play clock either.

I'm talking about the fact that some teams have us down 2-3 TDs in the first 5 freaking minutes of the game.

Some?

Lville and who else?

Maybe not, but we didn't lose games with 55:00 minutes still on the play clock either.

The one common loss was UL, and outside of Shafer thinking otherwise that was over quick.

Not from the games I've watched.

Because the talent at times hasnt been put in a position to win by the coaching staff. The talent level on this team is better than we think.

Does anyone here think we are playing with IVY league guys? Yeah sure we have some talent deficiencies but I'm seeing alot of Grob style apologists around here. I know because I used to be one. This defense is crap. Don't have the talent to run it yet? Then don't. I get installing the offense now, it's a showcase for incoming recruits so even if it has some broken gears, enough of the machine is moving to impress. Defensively? Stop the enabling. Dino loses by alot of points when he loses and that's before he came here. Talent shows itself when the DB gets outran, outjumped, etc. What we have right now are parts of the field so wide freaking open that you can run a 3 run circus in all that real estate. That's a coaching problem. I like Dino very much, he has great personality and his offensive system is shown to work. I have serious reservations about our "He's wide open...again" defense. We don't have personnel to run a zone cover 2 then run a freaking man cover 2, figure it out. That's a coaches job. Does anyone remember how completely ineffective Grob's offenses were? Well some people realized pretty quick in year 1 of Gerg that he was in over his head. I'm worried that Dino has no idea how to contain the talent from an opposing P5 school. Just to be clear this isn't about this past Sat, I didn't see the game as I was at Vanderbilt stadium for my son's competition. I'm talking about the fact that some teams have us down 2-3 TDs in the first 5 freaking minutes of the game. Dino and Ward so far appear completely clueless how to stop the opposition. I hear people say well that's the defense we need to run our offense. Why? Why do we need a bend but don't break defense that allows other teams to wear us down, eat clock, and completely take over a game if our offense goes 3 and out more than twice? Why wouldn't a Shafer style defense that rattles teams not be better suited for the kind of shock and awe campaign that Dino wants to run?

AMEN

Some?

Lville and who else?
ND had 2 offensive TDs on the board in the first 3 minutes. And had scored 23 in the first 5 minutes. I'll give you that we were scoring on our side too but it's still a complete defensive collapse.

Because the talent at times hasnt been put in a position to win by the coaching staff. The talent level on this team is better than we think.

Better than some may think, not me. I think it's downright awful and with injuries quite a few that are part of the game, makes it that much worse.

How many teams in the ACC do we have better than talent than?

I can't name more than maybe one.

How many teams in the ACC do we have better than talent than?

I can't name more than maybe one.
That's true. But not near the whole story. We have the talent to at least be competitive in games and we aren't. We are out of games early. Teams score almost at will against us. It's not that easy to score. But it is against us. The one thing we can all agree on is that the kids we have, aren't being coached up.

That's true. But not near the whole story. We have the talent to at least be competitive in games and we aren't. We are out of games early. Teams score almost at will against us. It's not that easy to score. But it is against us. The one thing we can all agree on is that the kids we have, aren't being coached up.
We don't have the talent to compete with more talented teams.

ND, Louisville, USF have talented offense and have shredded us.
Colgate, UConn, Wake have equal talent and we haven't been shredded in those games.

The weather really screwed us in the Wake game. They won we have to deal with that.

Dino's system has already gotten more passing yards in 6 games than it had all of last year. The kids can't be coached up when the other side just needs to do a double move and they are behind our defense. The run D has to be improved and it was improved for the most part the past 2 games. We gave up only 1 long run to a ND runner on a cut back where the DE left his lane and the runner exposed it.

Clemson, Florida State are going to score at will on us. Probably Va. Tech as well.

Our problem is our secondary is not ACC quality and if we want to be any competitive we can't just defend giving up the long ball and then leave the underneath wide open. We weren't out of the ND game early. It was a 6 point game at halftime and we got the 2nd half KO.

We have been blown out from the beginning just against Louisville who is a top 7 team in the nation.

Also, our D last year was awful. We weren't getting stops last year either. We have a talent problem. We are slow, and small.

We weren't competitive in the wake forest game?

ND had 2 offensive TDs on the board in the first 3 minutes. And had scored 23 in the first 5 minutes. I'll give you that we were scoring on our side too but it's still a complete defensive collapse.

That's not up two or three touch downs. And SU had two in the first 5 minutes.

And it was 23-20 two minutes into the 2nd Q.

That's not up two or three touch downs. And SU had two in the first 5 minutes.

And it was 23-20 two minutes into the 2nd Q.
And we still lost because we gave up too many points too quickly. Are you really going to sit there and say it's ok to basically just give up on defense because we should be able to score alot quickly? That's basically what people are saying. I say BS. It's not impossible to have good offense and good defense. Ask Clemson. ND basically had no defense either, that's why it was 23-20. We won't be so lucky in most games. Most teams try to be good in all 3 phases.

Lville and ND lit us up. Two teams with the Heisman winner and the first QB in next years draft on them. As it was the ND game was 33-27 at half time.

USF was 17-0 SU after the 1st quarter, 28-17 USF at the half. And USF won the second half 17-3, and that included a punt return.

Lville we got boatraced, so did FSU. ND and USF we couldn't keep up in the second half.

That's far from being noncompetitive in every game.

And we still lost because we gave up too many points too quickly. Are you really going to sit there and say it's ok to basically just give up on defense because we should be able to score alot quickly? That's basically what people are saying. I say BS. It's not impossible to have good offense and good defense. Ask Clemson.

Jesus, who said it's okay. Are you expecting a finished product today?

Getting wrapped up in wins and losses this year is silly.

You made an assertion, it was false. There's been one game all year where it was over in the first quarter. That's it. You want to argue the team doesn't have enough to compete for 60 minutes, fine, but to say we are getting crushed out of the gate, to this point, week in and week out isn't true.

Could it happen again this year, absolutely. But it's not written in stone.

Lville and ND lit us up. Two teams with the Heisman winner and the first QB in next years draft on them. As it was the ND game was 33-27 at half time.

USF was 17-0 SU after the 1st quarter, 28-17 USF at the half. And USF won the second half 17-3, and that included a punt return.

Lville we got boatraced, so did FSU. ND and USF we couldn't keep up in the second half.

That's far from being noncompetitive in every game.

This is pretty much the enabling that I'm talking about. ND is awful, 2-4 this year with losses to Duke and N.C. State. They have beaten Nevada and us. At this point I see no reason that VT, FSU, and Clemson won't hang 40+ each on us. NC State and Pitt will hang 30+ and we will be in a dog fight with BC. It's a distinct possibility that we won't win another game this year. We have a very real problem on defense that goes beyond talent or age.

Jesus, who said it's okay. Are you expecting a finished product today?

Getting wrapped up in wins and losses this year is silly.

You made an assertion, it was false. There's been one game all year where it was over in the first quarter. That's it. You want to argue the team doesn't have enough to compete for 60 minutes, fine, but to say we are getting crushed out of the gate, to this point, week in and week out isn't true.

Could it happen again this year, absolutely. But it's not written in stone.
Oh BS, more enabling. Getting wrapped up in wins and losses is silly? We were OT and a FG away from a bowl game last year and this year we are looking at 2 wins, 1 over FBS competition and you think it's silly. Sorry but that is some serious regression. We've also had our starting QB most of the year. Shafer was dealing with 4th stringers. I'll wait for the cake to be baked so to speak but dammit if I see someone putting cumin poweder in the batter then I'm going to question it. Defense = cumin.

My assertion was false? Fine, here's one that's not. This defense gives up too many points for even this offense to make up for.

N
This is pretty much the enabling that I'm talking about. ND is awful, 2-4 this year with losses to Duke and N.C. State. They have beaten Nevada and us. At this point I see no reason that VT, FSU, and Clemson won't hang 40+ each on us. NC State and Pitt will hang 30+ and we will be in a dog fight with BC. It's a distinct possibility that we won't win another game this year. We have a very real problem on defense that goes beyond talent or age.
ND's defense sucks but their offense is elite. ND has simliar problems than we have but it is more inexcusable because they are full of 4 and 5 star talent. They have a full roster unlike us.

ND has a top 5 NFL pick QBing their team and they have an NFL quality OL with NFL talent at WR.

Last week's game for ND was played literally in a monsoon. That game should have never been played. They suck this year because of their D.

If by year 3 of Dino we aren't better then the criticism will be legit and the heat will be on.

N

ND's defense sucks but their offense is elite. ND has simliar problems than we have but it is more inexcusable because they are full of 4 and 5 star talent. They have a full roster unlike us.

ND has a top 5 NFL pick QBing their team and they have an NFL quality OL with NFL talent at WR.

Last week's game for ND was played literally in a monsoon. That game should have never been played. They suck this year because of their D.

If by year 3 of Dino we aren't better then the criticism will be legit and the heat will be on.
Maybe we should take a clue from ND. Elite offense, crappy defense, 2-4 record.

Maybe we should take a clue from ND. Elite offense, crappy defense, 2-4 record.

Come on dude, BC has a great defense ( as good as Syracuse could ever be) and crappy offense and they suck too. Your punching yourself in the gonads with these posts

Elite offense, slightly below average D is what we need and we will be just fine. That is the short term goal moving forward by year 3, IMO. Those waiting for both well then we would be what Louisville is this year, keep dreaming. Or we could have BC great defense and no O

Come on dude, BC has a great defense ( as good as Syracuse could ever be) and crappy offense and they suck too. Your punching yourself in the gonads with these posts

Elite offense, slightly below average D is what we need and we will be just fine. That is the short term goal moving forward by year 3, IMO. Those waiting for both well then we would be what Louisville is this year, keep dreaming. Or we could have BC great defense and no O
I'm only punching myself in the nads in hopes that I'll build up some callous so when we get kicked in the balls on Sat it doesn't hurt so bad. I'm not saying abandon the offense, why do we have to settle for a bend but don't break defense? Why do we need slightly below avg defense when other than last year we've at least been slightly above average. I'm having a real problem trying to understand why we can't keep a decent defense and still run Dino's offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom