Embarrassing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Embarrassing

I have watched a ton of college football this year, enough to have seen every P5 play. I can tell you with great confidence that we are easily in the bottom 3-5 teams in terms of talent. Wake has more than us, sorry to break it to the people already jumping off the ship. A freaking punter is our only draft pick the past few years. I love Riley, of course but c'mon talk about an indictment of the talent of a program...

Right now we only have 2 people on offense, who can play in this league, Eric, and Amba, our running backs aren't good, and our other receivers are bad. Next year will be another bad year, unless the young receivers are fast learners. Phillips has no ability to make people miss, so the bubble screens don't work, and Ismael seems to have lost any ability he had. We need to bring in a good running back who can start, and maybe a couple grad transfers at receiver. On defense we need better linebackers. The 1st 3 games last year were Rhode Island, Wake, and Central Michigan,none were great running teams we did well. The last 9 games we gave up 2042 yards on 367 carries for an average of 5.6 yards per carry. We need a wholesale change in the back 7 on defense to become good again. Year 3 we will see progress, but the fans will scream for change before that.

The fans suck they can go root for Alabama. We are utterly devoid of talent, AET, maybe Dungey, Clarke, Slayton. There's your next level talent as far as players in at least their second year of getting playing time.

This is totally unacceptable boys. To lose the way we are...letting up 500 plus yards to Louisville at home...to blowing a 17-0 lead vs. AAC USF...to losing to a 2-4 UND team that can't beat Duke...to losing to Wake Forest...

Totally unacceptable. What kind of product is this?! Bring back Dougie. He made us relevant. Best UL with Bridgewater. Beat WVU with Geno and company both on the road and at the Dome. Beat a stacked KSU team.

Between the dome being a crap cool...lousy tailgating...I love this team but if you don't think changes need to be made, then idk what to tell you. I'm so frustrated.

Discuss.

That post is embarrassing.

Whatever happened to Jack Morse? I loved him when he did the Chiefs with John Harmon in the late 60's and local high schools loved him when the was the sports anchor at channel 9 because he led the way in focusing on local athletes, knowing that the national media was covering national sports in depth.

I have watched a ton of college football this year, enough to have seen every P5 play. I can tell you with great confidence that we are easily in the bottom 3-5 teams in terms of talent. Wake has more than us, sorry to break it to the people already jumping off the ship. A freaking punter is our only draft pick the past few years. I love Riley, of course but c'mon talk about an indictment of the talent of a program...

This line of reasoning is getting old and stale already this season. More aggravating is that this same reasoning was shot down over the past 2 years when we struggled.

How is it that the last two seasons were put squarely on the shoulders of the staff and this season everything is being placed squarely on the shoulders of the players? How does one reconcile that reasoning?

While I agree we need an upgrade in talent it isn't happening anytime soon so the staff is going to have to figure out how to win with what we got. Waiting on better talent is fools gold.

Marrone is partially the reason we're in this mess -- poor recruiting. The best guys during the Marrone era were Robinson kids: Nassib, Lemon, Sales, Pugh, Chandler, Arthur...

Arthur Jones was a P recruit.

You'd think from all the myth making Robinson guys dominated the roster in 2012.

There were a grand total of TWO 5 year Robinson guys that started in 2012, Nassib and Sales. There were two other fourth year seniors that started Pugh and Lemon.

That's it. That's the list.

Robinson a 10-37 team a a handful of guys that could play and two quality recruits in the class. That's not awesome.

The fans suck they can go root for Alabama. We are utterly devoid of talent, AET, maybe Dungey, Clarke, Slayton. There's your next level talent as far as players in at least their second year of getting playing time.
Unfortunately our fans feel that we should be beating everyone, with talent that is closer to the level of Kansas, then the upper tier of the ACC.

Arthur Jones was a P recruit.

You'd think from all the myth making Robinson guys dominated the roster in 2012.

There were a grand total of TWO 5 year Robinson guys that started in 2012, Nassib and Sales. There were two other fourth year seniors that started Pugh and Lemon.

That's it. That's the list.

Robinson a 10-37 team a a handful of guys that could play and two quality recruits in the class. That's not awesome.

And Marrone should get credit for developing those players and putting them in a scheme that worked for them. It's not just about recruiting.

I'll be one of those angry guys. Marrone was our savior. 8 wins...twice. Guess when we will get 8 wins again? 2025?? He played Minn to OT in his first game. Lost to PSU by a TD at Beaver Stadium in his second game. Guys are you kidding me? We lost. By 3 TDs! To wake forest...

Marrone did things to win now, he brought an NFL approach to games early, and it showed. The guys did a very good job with what he was handed. He also had an NFL approach to building the team, change the culture, turnover the roster, build inside out in the trenches, plan around the stronger unit on the team, the defense in his case, and develop the offense. He used an almost NFL approach by getting immediate help with transfers and juco's to plug holes, bring up the age of the roster, and get balance on units.

Babers doesn't seem all that fixated on immediate results, he's investing in the long term. His immediate focus is installing his offensive system, getting reps and stuff on tape, and catching up on the defense.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, because they have both proven to work.

Should probably peek at "Dougies" first year before going crazy. 4 wins, easier schedule by a mile.

None of those signature wins came in year one. We'll have some with this coach.

This stuff is getting out of hand, the overreaction in the original post is a bit much but they beat Northwestern which finished 8-5 losing to Auburn in OT in their bowl, and destroyed a Rutgers team that finished 9-4 in his first year and lost to Minnesota and Lville by a total of 4 pts.

There's no need to rewrite history.

blame the weather. blame the talent. bottom line is this team is not very good. these games are tough to watch. we are getting our butts spanked. beet red.

Depends what you think the program can achieve. The glory days will never come back. I see this team settling in every season at 6-6 or 7-5. 1/4 years they'll go 8-4 and once in a decade they'll go 9-3 or better.

Focus on program dev this year. 6-6 next year and then dream bigger again. The offense will be fine. Defense is pretty bad with a majority of guys not fitting the scheme and not talented.

Depends what you think the program can achieve. The glory days will never come back. I see this team settling in every season at 6-6 or 7-5. 1/4 years they'll go 8-4 and once in a decade they'll go 9-3 or better.

Focus on program dev this year. 6-6 next year and then dream bigger again. The offense will be fine. Defense is pretty bad with a majority of guys not fitting the scheme and not talented.

Defeatist hooha.

Yup, they have done a decent job until last night. My gripe is with dino and lewis.
I think they have been weak. We get the ball out very quickly and they only have to pass block for about 2.5 seconds. They barely hold for that. The run blocking has been non existent. Their inexperience seems obvious to me. There is potential there, but if will take some time.

Sounds pretty pragmatic to me...1987 will never happen again.

It might, it might not.

All I know is that in 2012 the team had the 17th ranked team in total offense, in 2010 the 7th ranked defense.

You know what happens when you put that kind of performance together, you are looking at 10, 11 or more wins.

This program is looking at an offense that is ranked in the top 20 at least every year. Get the defense into the top 40 and watch out.

This stuff is getting out of hand, the overreaction in the original post is a bit much but they beat Northwestern which finished 8-5 losing to Auburn in OT in their bowl, and destroyed a Rutgers team that finished 9-4 in his first year and lost to Minnesota and Lville by a total of 4 pts.

There's no need to rewrite history.

Exactly. No need to make it more than it was.

It might, it might not.

All I know is that in 2012 the team had the 17th ranked team in total offense, in 2010 the 7th ranked defense.

You know what happens when you put that kind of performance together, you are looking at 10, 11 or more wins.

This program is looking at an offense that is ranked in the top 20 at least every year. Get the defense into the top 40 and watch out.
Going undefeated would mean beating Louisville, Clemson, and FSU in the same season. It won't happen - those teams simply recruit at higher level than us, and will for the foreseeable future. It's not being a defeatist, it's being honest.

Exactly. No need to make it more than it was.

SU had one win in the prior four years against a major conference team/ND team with a winning record, that was 7-6 ND.

Marrone had two his first year. So it was actually an excellent job right out of the gate.

Defeatist hooha.

Not really. I set my expectations in reality and what I see. What i see right now is a team that can barely make a bowl game. In future seasons if it gets put together, then i will raise mine.

I think they have been weak. We get the ball out very quickly and they only have to pass block for about 2.5 seconds. They barely hold for that. The run blocking has been non existent. Their inexperience seems obvious to me. There is potential there, but if will take some time.

I agree, they have potential and minus last night, they have held it together decently. Alot of nice young talent there. Love the future of the oline. :)

SU had one win in the prior four years against a major conference team/ND team with a winning record, that was 7-6 ND.

Marrone had two his first year. So it was actually an excellent job right out of the gate.

That's not what I'm saying at all. He did a nice job of repairing a broken program (from bad to mediocre) and you could see the improvement on the field, though it did not turn around magically in one off season.

I don't think we need to see win like Northwestern to see that Babers is the right coach. Tougher schedule, tougher conference, and a new scheme that is more of a transition will look like what we've looked.

But some lift Dougie a little too high around here given a real look at the results. We can quibble over it more if you like, but we'll probably continue to disagree.