enjoy dion's last 6 home games | Syracusefan.com

enjoy dion's last 6 home games

John Syracuse

Walk On
its a show we probably wont see for a long time. he'll be a very high pick. hopefully fab will be convinced to stay. at this point , its a heavy lean the other way.

Fab a heavy lean the other way? Hmm. More power to him, but that doesn't sound a good choice. All the 2011 holdouts entering the 2012 draft + Fab's limited capabilities at this point = potentially disappointed Fab as the first round winds to a close in June.

I can't pretend to know how a GM might value Fab, but it seems there's a ton of players who are virtual locks to be picked ahead of him. Everyone loves a big guy with good skills and a high IQ, but Fab's a long way from being NBA-ready. This one screams Donte; I hope Fab's at least keeping up with his coursework, for both the sake of our APR and his options in the spring.

A year later than anticipated by coaches. Otherwise Cooney probably doesn't come to SU.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Fab a heavy lean the other way? Hmm. More power to him, but that doesn't sound a good choice. All the 2011 holdouts entering the 2012 draft + Fab's limited capabilities at this point = potentially disappointed Fab as the first round winds to a close in June.

I can't pretend to know how a GM might value Fab, but it seems there's a ton of players who are virtual locks to be picked ahead of him. Everyone loves a big guy with good skills and a high IQ, but Fab's a long way from being NBA-ready. This one screams Donte; I hope Fab's at least keeping up with his coursework, for both the sake of our APR and his options in the spring.
he's just not a big fan of the academic side

If Fab can get drafted in the first round, he should go.

We will be fine down low next year with DC, Baye and Rak.

If Dion and Fab finish the way Carmelo did, I'll be happy to give them my NBA blessing.

Well, yes, with the qualification that I wish Fab the best possible shot at success. A 2012 title would be nice, but I'd be disappointed if Fab leaves and gets bounced out of the league after 3 years (or never gets a shot because he drops to the second round this year).

Well, yes, with the qualification that I wish Fab the best possible shot at success. A 2012 title would be nice, but I'd be disappointed if Fab leaves and gets bounced out of the league after 3 years (or never gets a shot because he drops to the second round this year).
If Fab gets bounced out of the NBA after 3 years, it won't be because he stayed at SU too long.

its a show we probably wont see for a long time. he'll be a very high pick. hopefully fab will be convinced to stay. at this point , its a heavy lean the other way.

Raisins_Face.jpg

He speaks!

If Fab gets bounced out of the NBA after 3 years, it won't be because he stayed at SU too long.

No, I meant long enough. There's not much about him that suggests he can't be good in the NBA, but there's a lot that suggests that he won't be good in the NBA in 2012-2013. He'll improve a lot more in Syracuse next year than he would at the end of Sacramento's bench.

No, I meant long enough. There's not much about him that suggests he can't be good in the NBA, but there's a lot that suggests that he won't be good in the NBA in 2012-2013. He'll improve a lot more in Syracuse next year than he would at the end of Sacramento's bench.
It's possible, but it really depends on Melo. He would only fail in the pros if he failed to adjust to the professional game, failed to realize what it takes to succeed as a pro. I feel a lot of kids get lazy after they get drafted fairly high. They receive massive paychecks and fall in love with the "lifestyle", and often their development takes a hit. The guys that really succeed in the NBA are those guys that pack a lunchbox every single day, and work extremely hard at improving their game, no matter how much money they make.

They have to realize that reaching the NBA is just the beginning of their basketball career. Too many see it as the pinnacle of their basketball career.

Why would u post this? Do you know a single thing about his financial situation?

Less about financials and more about devolpment. As much as he's improved over last year, he's still very raw. One more year of offensive devolpment at SU would be extremely beneficial for his future and could move him up to the mid first round. Right now he might be a mid to late second round pick.

john what is the score of the game gonna be tomorrow should i take the points? i could use some cash?

Is their desision based on academic standing???

Less about financials and more about devolpment. As much as he's improved over last year, he's still very raw. One more year of offensive devolpment at SU would be extremely beneficial for his future and could move him up to the mid first round. Right now he might be a mid to late second round pick.

Agree. And the "hey, you heartless jerk, why don't you consider his financial situation" is a really lazy criticism. As John Wallace put it, if you've been poor for 21 years, what's one more? If money is really a concern, a player would be working hard on both his basketball (to further his career) and his academics (to protect the activity that will further his career) in order to maximize his long-term earning potential.

I wish Fab the best, but the poor guy isn't even Kosta Koufos right now. He's as likely to be a second-round (and very broke) pick fighting for a roster spot next year as he is to have a real NBA career with a lifetime's income. It's true that Fab holds his success in his hands - if he works hard, he's likely to be a successful and wealthy professional. But neglecting his coursework and leaving in April would be a roll of the dice with his future.

With all due respect, I fail to see how playing at Syracuse is better for his development than is having unlimited practice time, access to professional coaches, and access to the best competition in the world. The only area Syracuse trumps the NBA as far as development goes is probably playing time (albeit against far inferior competition). As SeattleCuse said, it's up to Fab really how hard he works to improve outside the games. From what I've seen, work ethic isn't a problem. You dont drop 30-40 lbs in one offseason without dedication. I also don't really buy that he's going to magically jump 1 round by coming back. That tends to not be how this process works. Especially with respect to big men, potential is what you're drafted on, and perceived potential only declines with age. Coming back 1 season and showing improvement but not showing the "expected improvement" actually hurts you. See Kyle Singler, Josh McRoberts, etc. Probably would be better off with that guaranteed first deal.

Agree. And the "hey, you heartless jerk, why don't you consider his financial situation" is a really lazy criticism. As John Wallace put it, if you've been poor for 21 years, what's one more? If money is really a concern, a player would be working hard on both his basketball (to further his career) and his academics (to protect the activity that will further his career) in order to maximize his long-term earning potential.

I wish Fab the best, but the poor guy isn't even Kosta Koufos right now. He's as likely to be a second-round (and very broke) pick fighting for a roster spot next year as he is to have a real NBA career with a lifetime's income. It's true that Fab holds his success in his hands - if he works hard, he's likely to be a successful and wealthy professional. But neglecting his coursework and leaving in April would be a roll of the dice with his future.

That's why it's probably only smart to go if he's projected in the early twenties at worst (to give him some first round cushion).

That's why it's probably only smart to go if he's projected in the early twenties at worst (to give him some first round cushion).

If he's getting solid feedback that he won't go below that point, then it's not unreasonable. But as someone who's speaking almost as concerned for his future as I am about SU's success next year, I worry that he's getting Donte-level advice and making a mistake.

We're going to see a lot of very talented players coming out this year, and Fab's not even playing at an all-Big East level. He could become a dominant Syracuse player and a lottery lock in 2013. It'd really stink for him to miss out on his best possible NBA shot because he's bored with his 200-level sociology class and wants out of here in two months.

If Fab leaves this year he will get drafted probably late first round. Which means he will be playing on a very good team. That means he will have very good players in front of him and he will not see the court. If that happens when his intial contract is up he could very well be done in the NBA if noone wants to take a risk waiting on his upside.

If he stays one more year and develops any sort of offensive game over the summer he could be a top 10 pick. Then he will get drafted by a crappy team and have a chance to develop. That would be his best bet of making it long term in the NBA

I need a "Dislike" button for this post. I know it's John Syracuse and all, but this post gets a (n) and a couchburn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom