Ennis back with the Suns tonight... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis back with the Suns tonight...

Marrone gets paid 4 million even though he opted out it was written into the contract. The Ennis bashing is foolish regardless if everyone disagrees with his decision it is his life and his decision to make.

Wow, you're right. Genius move by Jimmy Sexton.

First, opinions cannot be "wrong". And then there are the facts from the box score:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400578772

You said if he had a "10 million dollar" contract he wouldn't have a dnp.
I posted two examples (I can find plenty more) of top rookies that have dnp-cd's.

Your opinion that if he had a 10 million dollar contract he 100% wouldn't have a dnp is wrong.

As a Syracuse alum I'm thrilled when guys like Ennis, Grant, and Marrone are successful and decisions that they feel benefit their careers. Why be grudge them and second guess their decisions. Don't understand the sour grapes mentality of some of our posters.

You said if he had a "10 million dollar" contract he wouldn't have a dnp.
I posted two examples (I can find plenty more) of top rookies that have dnp-cd's.

Your opinion that if he had a 10 million dollar contract he 100% wouldn't have a dnp is wrong.

I was thinking more like Waiters as someone with a big contract that got playing time. I will give you that the amount of the contract does not determine PT in the NBA. But with TE, I never thought he was physically ready for the NBA. When Waiters came back his second year he looked like a beast. TE looked like someone who spent too much time playing video games and not enough time in the weight room. I think if TE came back for his second year looking like Waiters he would have been a top 5 pick.

Last edited:
I was thinking more like Waiters as someone with a big contract that got playing time. I will give you that the amount of the contract does not determine PT in the NBA. But with TE, I never thought he was physically ready for the NBA. When Waiters came back his second year he looked like a beast. TE looked like someone who spent too much time playing video games and not enough time in the weight room. I think if TE game back for his second year looking like Waiters he would have been a top 5 pick.

Fair enough. I don't agree but I see where you are coming from

Fair enough. I don't agree but I see where you are coming from

Yeah, I see your point of view too. TE is probably making more money this year than I made in the last 20 years. Thanks for seeing where I am coming from on this! I appreciate it when other people respect other people's opinions they disagree with!

I don't completely agree with your sentiment. I think he got more out Syracuse University basketball than he put into it.

I think he just didn't put as much into SU as you wanted him too. He put a ton into SU and they wouldn't have sniffed 25-0 without him. Marketing/Branding experts will tell you that the exposure SU got from his shot against Pitt alone was worth million to the University. And following up on the post above me, there had to be easily 5,000 Ice Man shirts in the Dome in the very first game after that Pitt shot. It was crazy how many people had them on. Ennis is an NBA PG playing behind THREE near all star caliber PGs. Even Dion wouldn't see a lot of time on that team.

It's entirely subjective to be say whether Ennis wasn't ready and should have stayed, or bolted when opportunity arose. Similarly, its pretty subjective to say whether Ennis or SU benefited more. Its a mutual thing and both benefited to a very good degree in my opinion. When players like Ennis come through SU it makes it fun for me, an SU Alum, to watch, cheer and follow the team (I do this anyway, but my excitement level goes WAY above, like on that shot at Pitt). This is a benefit to SU as the fan base grows excited, and there is certainly a lot of exposure - just watch any current SU games and announcers are comparing the great freshmen point guards to Kaleb - Ennis' play last year started a lot of this.

What I am glad about, however, is that Pheonix is not just dumping Ennis to the D League but only on the road trips and then bringing him back up. I take that to mean that the Sun's organization places some value on him, otherwise they would just relegate him to the D for the season.

In any case, its a decision Ennis made and I'm gonna support him because he represents SU in the NBA and I hope he develops and sticks with a team.

The whole thing with Ennis is that he was never going to be a lottery pick. There would always be a new crop of fancier and shinier guys to fill out the lottery in front of him. What I perceive as his best skill and ability, running a team, is not valued all that highly on the draft boards. He cashed in with a top20 pick in a weak draft and no matter how well he played this year had he come back he was unlikely to improve that position IMO. Some say he doesn't look like an NBA player and perhaps ( I don't think so though) he will prove not to be. Guess what though he still will have gotten paid and be able to continue to make money over seas playing bball for a longtime. I think he will carve out a niche for himself as a second squad PG and wind up getting a second contract. I also hope that at some point during that second contract he gets a chance to be the starter because he has been a wildly successful lead guard at every level and IMO its because he has some special innate qualities that are rare and pretty much unmeasurable.

Noah Vonleh, who certainly "looked" like an NBA player AND was a Top 10 pick outta IU, was recently sent down by the Hornets, and recalled after a week because of an injury to a big. Shabazz Napier who'd been playing well, was also sent down and recalled.
I can understand the disappointment of some that Tyler didn't stay, but they've been several "I told you so" posts, almost celebrating any seemingly negative occurrence about Tyler's rookie year.
That's the part I don't get.

How many times do we have to beat this horse that has been dead for awhile?

He left while the gettin' was good. He wasn't going to improve his draft stock much, if at all, and the risk of staying and possibly getting injured was too high. That said, he was not ready to go and I personally feel like another year in college would have benefited his game more than being bounced around between D-league games and benchwarming a few Suns games. It's debatable which experience is more valuable in the long run, but he made the right choice simply from a financial perspective. Grant screwed up, Ennis did what he had to do.

I don't completely agree with your sentiment. I think he got more out Syracuse University basketball than he put into it. Being a taker rather than a giver kind of bothers me. But in today's world I totally get that the individual is more important than the team. It's all about him. I get it. TE's success is more important than the team's success. Many people think he owes nothing to Syracuse University BB program for his success. I just think if he stayed one more year he would have done just as well if not better in the NBA and in total cash earnings. He probably would have got a $10 million contract instead of $3. Now he has to fight his way out of the D-league and actually get PT in the NBA. With a $10 million contract you would not see this in the box score:

Tyler Ennis, PG DNP COACH'S DECISION
As I said, TE is a taker not a giver. He got a lot more out of the program than he put into it. There were five PGs that went ahead of him the NBA draft. If he were a top-5 pick then I would expect one-and-done. I did not think he was ready for the NBA and obviously he's not ready:
You know what's absolutely ludicrous about your take? That you're so intent on making the case that Ennis should have stayed that you're trying to make this about your supposed moral failings about Tyler Ennis.

He took more than he gave?

It's all about him?

His success is more important than the team?

Ennis did NOTHING to merit accusations like that. Zero. You making those statements in judgment of Ennis is completely unwarranted.

Clown take, bro.

You know what's absolutely ludicrous about your take? That you're so intent on making the case that Ennis should have stayed that you're trying to make this about your supposed moral failings about Tyler Ennis.

He took more than he gave?

It's all about him?

His success is more important than the team?

Ennis did NOTHING to merit accusations like that. Zero. You making those statements in judgment of Ennis is completely unwarranted.

Clown take, bro.

Yes, in my opinion he got more out the Orange BB than he put into it. You don't have to agree with my opinion. Your judgement that it is unwarranted is YOUR opinion not mine. There were people telling him he as not ready for the NBA. When Dion Waiters came back his second year he looked like a beast. TE needed to spend some serious time in weight room. He just never looked like an NBA player to me. That's my warrant!

And if he was really ready for the NBA then how come he's not playing:

Yeah, the $3 million contract looks great for now. But compare to how much he could have been making longer term it makes me think he made the wrong decision. Maybe he will dig himself out of the d-league and get an opportunity to play. Maybe some day he will have a real NBA salary. We shall see. It's not that I don't want him to succeed. I just think it was a very short sighted and bad decision for him to make to enter the NBA draft before he was ready (in my opinion).

Yes, in my opinion he got more out the Orange BB than he put into it. You don't have to agree with my opinion. Your judgement that it is unwarranted is YOUR opinion not mine. There were people telling him he as not ready for the NBA. When Dion Waiters came back his second year he looked like a beast. TE needed to spend some serious time in weight room. He just never looked like an NBA player to me. That's my warrant!

Yeah, the $3 million contract looks great for now. But compare to how much he could have been making longer term it makes me think he made the wrong decision. Maybe he will dig himself out of the d-league and get an opportunity to play. Maybe some day he will have a real NBA salary. We shall see. It's not that I don't want him to succeed. I just think it was a very short sighted and bad decision for him to make to enter the NBA draft before he was ready (in my opinion).
You don't get it.

It's one thing to say he shouldn't have gone because you think he wasn't ready. Fine. Valid take. People can agree to disagree.

It is a completely different thing for you to say he shouldn't have gone, and ohbythewayhehasthesecharacterflawsandmostlyisjustselfish.

Stop hiding behind "having an opinion" and "other people don't have to agree with it" when levying personal criticisms with zero evidence towards the character of a former player.

He's barely a third of the way thru his NBA/professional career and we have no idea how many contracts he's likely to sign before he's done- NBA, Euroleague, NBA DL, or what-have-you.
The definitive and overly-conclusive assumptions, and almost always in the negative I might add, are totally mind boggling. JMHO

He's barely a third of the way thru his NBA/professional career and we have no idea how many contracts he's likely to sign before he's done- NBA, Euroleague, NBA DL, or what-have-you.
The definitive and overly-conclusive assumptions, and almost always in the negative I might add, are totally mind boggling. JMHO

Not to mention, it's been explained literally 1000 times in 1000 diff threads that this commentary that playing in DLeague = Having to "dig out to get a 2nd contract" is complete and utter BS
It's fairly common practice in the NBA since the 1 and done rule. Period. End of story. Not opinion.

Noah Vonleh, who certainly "looked" like an NBA player AND was a Top 10 pick outta IU, was recently sent down by the Hornets, and recalled after a week because of an injury to a big. Shabazz Napier who'd been playing well, was also sent down and recalled.
I can understand the disappointment of some that Tyler didn't stay, but they've been several "I told you so" posts, almost celebrating any seemingly negative occurrence about Tyler's rookie year.
That's the part I don't get.

Shabazz Napier? Of "stayed all 4 years" fame?...you must be wrong, players that stay are automatically ready, so didn't happen. Sorry.

I'm just trying to figure out what Tyler got out of SU that he didn't deserve from the effort/work he put into it. How many Ennis jerseys did we sell last year?

For those of you who are so quick to write off Tyler Ennis he was recalled by the Suns after 3 games with Bakersfield. Just the same as last time. 3 games, then back. He is on the road with the Suns in Oklahoma City tonight. All 3 guys, Tyler, TJ Warren and Archie Goodwin (Kentucky) were recalled.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...d_tyler_ennis_from_nbdls_bakersfield_jam.html

https://twitter.com/tdot_ennis/status/550348576950214657

OK. Can we stop with this nonsense now every time this happens? I am sure it will happen again this year. They also send TJ Warren (14th overall pick) every time. Let's see what happens to Tyler a couple of years down the road before we pass judgement.
Glad to see him back up, I wish he had stayed and I think it would have benefited him, but I hope he does well.

We have to let this topic go. Had Ennis known he would wind up with Phoenix, he would have stayed. He was poised on the court, but was still just a 19 yr old kid. Every kid gets caught up in hype sometimes and its hard to pass up the $$$. On this team, however, he would be our leading scorer and the focal point of every SU broadcast.

People who keep saying he was never going to improve his draft stock... says who? Thats just another opinion. I actually think he could have gone nowhere but up. And he also would have made more $$ long term. These though are also just opinions. There are two completely opposite views dominating Ennis. This will never change so lets focus on our current players trying to sneak their way in to March Madness this year.

I don't completely agree with your sentiment. I think he got more out Syracuse University basketball than he put into it. Being a taker rather than a giver kind of bothers me. But in today's world I totally get that the individual is more important than the team. It's all about him. I get it. TE's success is more important than the team's success. Many people think he owes nothing to Syracuse University BB program for his success. I just think if he stayed one more year he would have done just as well if not better in the NBA and in total cash earnings. He probably would have got a $10 million contract instead of $3. Now he has to fight his way out of the D-league and actually get PT in the NBA. With a $10 million contract you would not see this in the box score:

Tyler Ennis, PG DNP COACH'S DECISION

So your saying Ennis would be picked around #5. What?

I don't see his stock really rising much after another year because of the type of player he was. And I also don't buy that College Playing Time is better development than working with an NBA team with limited PT. (that depends)

I have no problem with someone taking the Ennis should enter the draft stance. The problem is mostly everyone in that camp wouldn't concede that there was a possibility of him improving his draft stock this year, they just stated over and over that his draft stock was as high as it was going to be, and he could get hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom